iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New forklift (to me)

Started by Brad_bb, April 21, 2021, 12:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I just picked this machine up.  It is a "John's forklift" conversion like my other one.  My other one was converted from a Farmall BN, which is probably what 97% of their conversions probably were.  The previous owner and I believe this was likely an early conversion as it is missing some of the refinements of later conversions.  I plan to change the shifter design to the later one to make it easier to use and get on and off.  I will fabricate a new steering column bracket with dash and starting controls atop the column like later ones. i'll add a floor plate,move the battery and hyd tank back(interferes with your right leg position now).  I'll update the hyd control levers to the later type to function better.  it has 3ft forks now and I will change to 4ft.  i'll convert to pointless ignition, and probably add more counter weight.  typically they have 2500 lb lift capacity which does 97% of logs at the mill.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Bruno of NH

Nice looks in good condition 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

I always enjoy those conversion kits. 
Even if not interested in buying, I will stop and look at one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moodnacreek

My first forklift was like that and I miss it sometimes. They are very handy and seldom get stuck and easy to put chains on. Looking at the distributor I wonder why you would do away with the points, I mean they are right there and they will never really let you down.

hedgerow

Nice find. Back in the day there were several around this area. There were quite a few tractors reversed around here with tractor front end loaders put on the rear to make a lighter duty type wheel loader. Buddy bought a reversed 880 Oliver last year with a loader on it. Its made him a nice yard tractor for the farm. 

mike_belben

Ive got a miniature version sitting in mass half way finished, from a Case 222 hidrive with a chopped off little giant warehouse fork on it.  Made for driving up ramps into a container and various super tiny indoor garage chores that an old man [me, eventually] needs help with. 
Praise The Lord

Brad_bb

It was not a kit.  John's was in business from the 60's til the early 80's.  They were located just outside Grand Rapids, Mi and served the orchard and veg farmers that used boxes for product.   I think liability and insurance made them quit.  They built frames under the farmalls, built all the controls and masts. They used a forklift axle on the rear of many and had their own counterweights cast.  I'll also fab and add an ROPS to this one like most others had.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

sawguy21

That setup was popular in the orchards in our area, small tractors were plentiful and cheap. Many were home built, some were better than others.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Resonator

The way the tractor is set up reminds me of a project I had many years back. I was given an old International Cub Cadet lawn tractor to restore that didn't run. I bought a new Honda engine to replace the Kohler and bolted it in. When I hooked up the belt and took it for a test drive, I found out I had 1 forward gear, and 3 reverse gears. And boy that 3rd gear reverse was handful to drive in a straight line!
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

That was a interesting build they did than!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

A styled WC Allis. There was an outfit in Minnesota that did conversions on WC, WD, and WD45 tractors also. They worked well because it was easy to flip the ring gear over in the casting and all the original trans gears directions were flip flopped.

sawguy21

A friends dad bought a VW van that had four reverse gears, it would do 50 backwards. The po had rebuilt the transmission by the manual which omitted the fact the ring gear had to be flipped for use in transporters because of the portal axles. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

There's a forklift just like that for sale at a greenhouse/nursery in Petoskey.  Saw it today :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

Mine indoor mini fork mocked up

Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Corley5

I'd like a forklift to put my sap head tank on so I can raise and lower it for cleaning.  I'm thinking an electric one with a small foot print that needs batteries and putting an AC motor on it.

mike_belben

The older electric forks are typically 24 or 36v DC.. Maybe 48v by now.  The ones ive stripped ran a dc motor into a hydraulic pump but i dont recall the RPM and the parts ive got are in mass or id check for ya.
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

@mike_belben  you're one crafty dude! No wonder that S&W wanted you so bad.
Trying harder everyday.

Walnut Beast

Looks pretty handy Mike how much weight do you think you can move on a pallet?

mike_belben

It hasnt been finished yet and is up in mass, so i dont know.  I'll be happy if it shuffles axles and transfer cases around. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Its sitting right next to my little mud truck that i really wish was here right now.  The bed is for cement pours.

This was the first dirt machine i built and at the time was all i had.  You can see the hydraulic 3 point lift yoke on back that i dont even need anymore.
Praise The Lord

Corley5

Picked this up at an auction today.  Needs batteries but is supposed to work.

Thank You Sponsors!