iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2022 Ford-F150-electric

Started by Lasershark, May 06, 2021, 03:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasershark

2022 Ford F-150 Electric Pickup: What We Know So Far

This seems to be the truck I've been waiting for, I've been very hesitant to invest in a ICE truck to replace my 2002 Dodge Ram, so I'm saving up for this gem. Anyone else waiting on a decent EV truck?
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

alan gage

If I wasn't committed to driving cheap old junk I'd definitely go for an electric truck.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Ljohnsaw

So what's the price going to be?  Since it is still going to be called a F150, does that imply it is still a 1/2 ton with 7,500 lb tow capability?

I'm saving my money for the Tesla truck.  They are saying they will offer a more conventional looking model then the ugly one they have now.  I put my $100 down on the tri-motor version.  All three version have a payload capacity of 3,500 lbs.  With the tri-motor (bigger battery, too), it can haul something like 11k-15k.  It has a 600+ mile range (I'm sure that is NOT towing).  Price tag on that puppy is $69k - but what's the price on a top end truck these day?  I saw several years ago (10?) $54k on a lifted truck on the dealer's lot (which I thought was insane at the time) so $69k doesn't seem all that out of line today.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Lasershark on May 06, 2021, 03:16:03 PM

This seems to be the truck I've been waiting for, I've been very hesitant to invest in a ICE truck to replace my 2002 Dodge Ram, so I'm saving up for this gem. Anyone else waiting on a decent EV truck?
with everything going electric, sure hope you have the grid to charge it and the time to sit and wait if you're away from home
i'll not eve think of a pure ev until the solid state batteries are in it. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

samandothers

I would consider an electric, maybe Rivian.  By the time I would be serious about it who knows what may be available.  It maybe a car would be first as I hope the 07 Duramax keeps chugging!

Tom King

Watching with interest.

I expect your Duramax will keep chugging for a good while.  I bought mine new in November 2000, and I'm still enjoying it, 347,000 miles later.  Mine is the now dreaded LB7, but I'm still loving it.

sawguy21

It sounds like they will be the norm in another 10 to 15 years but at what cost? How many wind farms, solar panels and hydro electric dams will we need to supply the expanding grid? There is no free lunch, the piper has to be paid. Fortunately my driving days will be over by that time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

With  all the drivetrain  problems Ford is having lately it may be a way to make them reliable like the older ones 🚎. I just read they now say nuclear  plants are the only way to support electric cars and truck fleets in the coming years.  I have been thinking  a Tesla car with solar panels on the garage for charging lately and am just waiting  for tax credits to get serious.  The government is good at giving  things away now and rebates along with  tax credits are going  to be required to change  people's  minds. Didn't  someone recently promise all fossil fuel vehicles will be crushed by 2035 so there  won't be a choice after that. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 07, 2021, 05:12:04 PMHow many wind farms, solar panels and hydro electric dams will we need to supply the expanding grid?
California takes water from the north state (my back yard) and ships it south to L.A. via the California Aqueduct.  It is actually two concrete-lined "rivers" with pumping stations at various places to keep it moving (pump it up a grade and let gravity move it).  The farmers tap water for their farms (at a cost) as well as some central California cities.  One of the problems with this "river" is the amount of evaporation losses.

Lots of solar farms are popping up all over the place, displacing productive farm land.  There is still some farming done (raising sheep, etc) but not what it could be with full sun.

So, long intro to an idea that is just a Dooh! moment.  There is a plan to cover the Aqueduct with solar panels!  It showed the savings in water evaporation to be enough to supply a city of 50,000 households.  And, it uses land the does not negatively impact farmland.  I forget how many 1,000s of MW of power would be produced but pretty significant.  Couple the solar with some pumped hydro and you have a "battery" to store the solar for the night.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

brianJ

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 07, 2021, 10:47:35 PM

California takes water from the north state (my back yard) and ships it south to L.A. via the California Aqueduct.  It is actually two concrete-lined "rivers" with pumping stations at various places to keep it moving (pump it up a grade and let gravity move it).  The farmers tap water for their farms (at a cost) as well as some central California cities.  One of the problems with this "river" is the amount of evaporation losses.

Lots of solar farms are popping up all over the place, displacing productive farm land.  There is still some farming done (raising sheep, etc) but not what it could be with full sun.

So, long intro to an idea that is just a Dooh! moment.  There is a plan to cover the Aqueduct with solar panels!  It showed the savings in water evaporation to be enough to supply a city of 50,000 households.  And, it uses land the does not negatively impact farmland.  I forget how many 1,000s of MW of power would be produced but pretty significant.  Couple the solar with some pumped hydro and you have a "battery" to store the solar for the night.
India already does solar panels over irrigation canals as seen here.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix9LNZIbTpc&t=124s
Logically places that need irrigation have lots of sun not interrupted with clouds.   It is a wonder solar cell placement like this hasn't already been done.  
Locally here in rainy NY & lake effect Syracuse there is a big push to erect solar farms. In fact the boss has been informed by landowners of their intention to convert 100 acres to solar panels.    So plan crop rotation accordingly.   

nativewolf

I have a reservation for a cybertruck, I like the stainless steel body in that it will be a bit dent proof.  
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

Can't imagine charging a vehicle on our old REA grid that hasn't been updated since 1950 with rates that cost me 50 bucks a month to plug in a toaster. LoL

I'd have to run a diesel genset to be able to charge my electric vehicle. Hahaha

Don P

One of my clients 3 or 4 miles up the road has a tesla they bring up from Fl with them in the summer. I think they make 2 or 3 stops at quick charges along the way. I know it has told her "If you would get your foot out of it just a little bit we'll make it to the next fast charge station  :D". I think it takes overnight on their home power charger when here. Its sure a fun car. For most of my work around the area something along those lines in a truck would be plenty fine.

Tacotodd

Quote from: nativewolf on May 08, 2021, 08:01:04 AM

I have a reservation for a cybertruck, I like the stainless steel body in that it will be a bit dent proof.  
NW, not dent proof, just HIGHLY rust RESISTANT. Remember, stainLESS, not stainPROOF. BUT, some much better than others. Just put more Nickel in the mix like that of Ruger pistols and you'll have a VERY resistant mix.

Trying harder everyday.

21incher

Quote from: Tacotodd on May 08, 2021, 09:54:11 AM

NW, not dent proof, just HIGHLY rust RESISTANT. Remember, stainLESS, not stainPROOF. BUT, some much better than others. Just put more Nickel in the mix like that of Ruger pistols and you'll have a VERY resistant mix.

They hit it with a sledge hammer and no visible damage. Then shot it with a 9mm that didn't  penetrate the body. The 9mm did shatter the glass though 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

John Mc

Quote from: 21incher on May 07, 2021, 06:03:01 PMDidn't someone recently promise all fossil fuel vehicles will be crushed by 2035 so there won't be a choice after that.

Where the heck did you hear that?!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Lasershark

Quote from: John Mc on May 09, 2021, 02:11:08 PM
Quote from: 21incher on May 07, 2021, 06:03:01 PMDidn't someone recently promise all fossil fuel vehicles will be crushed by 2035 so there won't be a choice after that.

I believe he may be referring to this article: 
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132190_california-plan-80-fully-electric-by-2035-50-mile-plug-in-hybrids-tighter-tailpipe-emissions
The gist is:
QuoteThe proposal doesn't quite retire the internal combustion engine by 2035, or end sales of vehicles you can fuel with gasoline; it leaves space for engines under the hood of 20% of new vehicles by then—albeit as part of more tightly defined plug-in hybrids. 
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

Stephen1

Quote from: 21incher on May 08, 2021, 10:09:46 AM
Quote from: Tacotodd on May 08, 2021, 09:54:11 AM

They hit it with a sledge hammer and no visible damage. Then shot it with a 9mm that didn't  penetrate the body. The 9mm did shatter the glass though
WOW that would make me buy it, even if it is electric. Why can't we have that now. I lean over into my box and I Leave a small mark .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

21incher

Quote from: John Mc on May 09, 2021, 02:11:08 PM

I saw an article on Yahoo finance that here in NY they passed a bill that only electric vehicles can be sold after 2035. They were talking leading up to the switch over fossil  fuel vehicles traded in will most likely be bought by the government and crushed, not resold eventually removing  them all from service. Like cash for clunkers they did a while  back.  I'm hoping  they come up with conversation kits for classic cars so thet don't disappear. 

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Don P on May 08, 2021, 08:34:59 AM
One of my clients 3 or 4 miles up the road has a tesla they bring up from Fl with them in the summer. I think they make 2 or 3 stops at quick charges along the way. I know it has told her "If you would get your foot out of it just a little bit we'll make it to the next fast charge station  :D". I think it takes overnight on their home power charger when here. Its sure a fun car. For most of my work around the area something along those lines in a truck would be plenty fine.
a friend of mine has an X and before that he had the roadster. he loves the X. Especially the nav. At his birthday party several years back he took me for a ride. WoW it was fast. Then we got back he says I can drive it alone and then take the wife for a ride. So i did. When i was just closing the door, he tells me to drive it like it's stolen. I started to say something he he goes I mean it. So i did. 0-60 in like 2.3 seconds. Hit 150 like it was nothing. Wife was too scared to drive it. I only knew him for a short time when that happened. No one else drove it.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: 21incher on May 07, 2021, 06:03:01 PM
With  all the drivetrain  problems Ford is having lately it may be a way to make them reliable like the older ones 🚎. I just read they now say nuclear  plants are the only way to support electric cars and truck fleets in the coming years.  I have been thinking  a Tesla car with solar panels on the garage for charging lately and am just waiting  for tax credits to get serious.  The government is good at giving  things away now and rebates along with  tax credits are going  to be required to change  people's  minds. Didn't  someone recently promise all fossil fuel vehicles will be crushed by 2035 so there  won't be a choice after that.
No way on this is all happening without splitting the atom. I wonder where NY thinks they will put all the solar and wind necessary for all that power needed. Sure, most will be charged at night when power usage is at it's lowest, but NY isn't like the prime location for solar to begin with. I suspect NY will mandate panels on all rooftops. That's highly inefficient and ugly, but that's most likely the way it will go down.

Bradm

There's going to be some announcements and earnings reports early next week with regards to electric vehicles and trucks.  Lordstown Motors (1/2 ton fleet trucks/vans) and Fisker (similar to current SUVs) on May 17, and Ford on the 19th.  I'm very curious how these announcements are going to go as Lordstown moved their reports up, as did Fisker.

Lasershark

My woodshop partner noted that the F-150 lightning was 3-phase and did a back-of-the-envelope calculation, he figures it has the energy mass and the capability to use it as a powerplant to run the 3-phase equipment in his shop including the Weining molder. 

samandothers

I think an electric car or truck in on my bucket list.  I would like to get a truck but they spenciv! 

Larry

I would like to buy an electric car......stock.  Which one is the question.  One will out perform all the rest.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!