iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powermatic pm-221 planer repower?

Started by JRWoodchuck, May 25, 2021, 03:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRWoodchuck

Just bought a pm221 has a 15hp 3 phase motor which I plan to use to build a phase converter then I'll put a 10 ish horse on the planer. But for now I'm going to put a 13hp gas motor on it and need to order a new pulley for it. Online it says that planer head should spin at 4800rpm. The gas motor is 3600rpm. So the pulley needs to be 1.3333 times bigger than the pulley on the planer head? That math seem right to all you guys?
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

firefighter ontheside

Whats the speed of the original motor?  3450?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

JRWoodchuck

The motor that's on there now is 1750 I believe. It is not the original motor for the machine though. But the pulley ratio is 2.36 to 1. Giving it a head speed of 4100 rpm ish. 

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

muggs

You can be off by a few hundred rpm, it really doesn't matter that much.

Southside

I think going from 15 HP 3 phase to 13 HP gas is really going to disappoint you.  She won't have any torque to call up when you hit thick spot.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JRWoodchuck

Well I've never ran the planer so I don't know how well it functions with the 15hp motor. But 15hp seems overkill in my mind for a 20" planer. But my plan isn't to keep the 13hp gas motor it is just the easiest way to get the planer functional at the moment. 

firefighter ontheside

I agree that 15 horse is overkill.  5 to 7 is probably sufficient for an electric motor.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

muggs

I think new, that planer came with a 7.5 hp motor. My 16 inch powermatic has a 5 hp, and it has plenty of power.

trimguy

I just looked at mine. Yes 7.5 hp , 3 phase. Mine is also a 221.

JRWoodchuck

Perfect thanks for all the responses. That pulley calculator is pretty nifty. 

clay3

My 225 has a 7.5 hp 3450 rpm direct drive.

YellowHammer

I found an old advertisement on the planer. The max it was offered was with a 10 up electric.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

clay3

Does the 221 have a separate feed motor, if it does how are you going to run it. 

JRWoodchuck

It does have a separate feed motor I haven't looked at the plate on it but I'm hoping it's single phase and I'll just wire it to a plug for now. If not I have some smaller single phase motors that I can bolt up to it. 

tacks Y

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on May 29, 2021, 12:46:06 AM
It does have a separate feed motor I haven't looked at the plate on it but I'm hoping it's single phase and I'll just wire it to a plug for now. If not I have some smaller single phase motors that I can bolt up to it.
Good chance it is 3 phase also. Do you have fwd/rev on it, if so just look at the switch and see if it is 3 phase.

petefrom bearswamp

My spiral head 20" has a separate feed motor and I upgraded from 5 to 10 HP 3 phase.
Still wont take a very heavy cut.
IMO never too much power (Tim the tool man)
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Don P

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 29, 2021, 08:20:12 AM
My spiral head 20" has a separate feed motor and I upgraded from 5 to 10 HP 3 phase.
Still wont take a very heavy cut.
IMO never too much power (Tim the tool man)
Amen!

If the feed is 3ph a VFD will phase convert and give you variable speed drive.

JRWoodchuck

It does have the forward reverse switch that's a much better place to look to see if it's 3ph. Yes I agree with more is better but I am in need of a big motor for my phase converter so the 15hp will fill that position once I get around to it. Otherwise if I kept it on there I would have to get an even bigger motor for my phase converter

JRWoodchuck

You guys were correct the feed motor is 3 phase so I'm just going ahead with building the phase converter and putting a 7.5 hp electric motor on it. Has anyone ever flipped the motor and put it under the base on a planer like this? It would sure shrink up the foot print and clean it up. Is heat from the motor something to worry about being under there?

tacks Y

I had a 16 or 18 before and mounted it on the back side. Simple, easy and less waste of space. Not sure why PM did not build them that way.

JRWoodchuck

Looks like there is plenty of room under the main body to mount it in there would have to drill a new hole for the motor but I think it would mount underneath really nicely. 

tacks Y

JRWoodchuck

Thank You Sponsors!