iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Energy Drinks

Started by Gary_C, January 22, 2013, 09:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I am just amazed when I am in a fuel station and see these displays of those small bottles of energy drinks. And the price is so high too. And then to see so many people buying them.

Now I know that energy is the same as calories, but I can't figure how they get calories into those little bottles. The best way to get pure calories in liquid form is with liquid fat. So it must be just some type of stimulant like caffeine in those bottles. Or maybe it's alcohol.  :D

Don't laugh about the alcohol thing. Years ago they used to sell Geritol in somewhat larger bottles. It was a major sponsor of the Lawrence Welk show. And their slogan was "it makes you feel better fast." But in some states they tried to make the company sell Geritol only in liquor stores because it contained about 18 % alcohol. Yep, it made you feel better, at least for a while.   :D

So how many of you drink those energy drinks? Does it work for you?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

OlJarhead

Disclaimer:  I sort of sell what I'm about to mention (actually I don't really sell it but I do try to get people to buy it if that makes sense)....

I drink something called ACT (Advanced Cellular Technology) which is technically an 'Energy Drink' though you can't buy it in store.

It is a healthy version of what people do buy and drink (yikes!).  Basically, instead of having tons of sugar they use Stevia to sweeten the drink (0 calories, o glycemic index) and while they do use Taurine and Garuana Root (caffeine) the also use amino acids and vitamins to provide the body with the building blocks for energy production. The concept is that the body will produce energy if you provide it the right ingredients and if the body does it it's 'natural' and there is no crash or downside.

So, yes, I drink an energy drink called ACT (A.C.T.) but it's good for you!  My doctor is always asking me:  what are you doing?!  Your bloodwork just comes back better every year....and he's not kidding. 
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

mesquite buckeye

I'm not so sure which energy drinks you mean.... different kinds.

I find if I am working really hard and have nothing left, monxxx  helps me get a second wind. Lasts maybe 1-2 hours depending. My son says if he drinks one too fast, makes his heart race.

They just get me back to "normal".
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Autocar

Heres my two cents on energy drinks, when you work all day and you get tired thats your body telling you something it needs rest. My feeling if you drink that stuff your only hurting yourself health wise.
Bill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just drink a "SUNDROP". It's a Southern soft drink. Picks me up!  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

I've never even tasted any energy drink except for coffee.
What's them taste like. :D

Magicman

Quote from: Autocar on January 22, 2013, 09:40:41 PMwhen you work all day and you get tired thats your body telling you something it needs rest. 

Yup, that is what happens, and when my body talks, I always try to listen.  I have never done an energy drink.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

OlJarhead for what its worth they use taurine in the cat food I buy  ;D
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

drobertson

I have had one 5 hour energy when they first came out, an all week end long basket ball tourney with my son, 3 hr drive home and thought I would try it, ,,,, what a joke,  next stop good cup of java and a snickers bar did the trick, tired is tired, a bowl of grits with eggs. glass of milk and some rest is the best energy supplement I can recommend.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jueston

Quote from: trapper on January 22, 2013, 10:32:37 PM
OlJarhead for what its worth they use taurine in the cat food I buy  ;D

in nature cats get taurine from the rodents they eat, if a cat doesn't get enough it will go blind. another useless fact that got deposited in mind and has been waiting for the right moment to be shared.

as for energy drinks, i will admit, i'm addicted. i have a monster every day, and when i don't have one i find myself just thinking about how i can get my hands on one.... but i don't buy all the hype that i'm going to die early because of it, for every study about the harmful effects of caffeine there is another about its positive effects. there have also been several studies that show after 2 weeks of sustained dose, the amount of caffeine we take in has no effect on our bodies, since our bodies just get used to it.

whats interesting to me is that even though they say monster has a lot more caffeine then coffee, if i drink coffee instead of an energy drink i always feel really gittery and then really tired. the energy drinks do not have this effect on me. but half of it might be in my head anyways....

Ron Wenrich

I find a caffeine drink like a Coke will give me the necessary lift if I need it.  A candy bar can do the same.  I still haven't figured out why people buy bottled water.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gary_C

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 22, 2013, 11:04:25 PM
  I still haven't figured out why people buy bottled water.

Ron, a Coke is just bottled water with a little bit of syrup in it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

gary

I drink 5 hour energy drinks. If I feel drowsy then I will drink one.

NWP

Sometimes my wife drinks a Monster drink.  I think it smells terrible.  She says she can tell a difference.  I just drink a diet Coke.  Probably just as bad for you as an energy drink I suppose.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

OlJarhead

Ahhh yes, eat right!  I used to think I did just that but then I watched movies like 'Fat, Sick and nearly Dead' and 'Forks over knives' followed by 'Hungry for Change'.....now I realize I really didn't eat as well as I thought I did.

Bear in mind I ate almost NO processed food (if you drink store bought milk you drink processed milk....just sayin) and even ground my own flour from Hard Winter Wheat (I still do) to make bread with.

Today I eat better (a more balanced diet of protein, carbs and fats with much better carbs and fats) but still ind the ACT an excellent way to keep energy levels up!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: Gary_C on January 22, 2013, 11:20:19 PM
Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 22, 2013, 11:04:25 PM
  I still haven't figured out why people buy bottled water.

Ron, a Coke is just bottled water with a little bit of syrup in it.

I prefer mine with some rum in it.  That's something the local bottler has left out. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Roger2561

Depending on the day.  If it's hot and humid and I'm operating my chainsaw, I'll have a 16oz bottle of Gatorade with a gallon or 2 of water in the morning and in the afternoon.  The Gatorade is to help replenish the electrolytes that were lost due to sweating and the water, well, to quench my thirst.  The idea is pace yourself when it's that hot and humid, not overdo it.  You've got to listen to your body.  If it's going strong, I'll continue working.  But, if it's still sluggish after drinking all of that fluid it's time to put the chainsaw away and find something less strenuos to do.  Roger 
Roger

rooster 58

I like a splash of coke with Uncle Jack ;D

ely

i have had a red bull on occaision, typically no. about once a year i love to have me one of the blue demon energy drinks with a splash of absolut citrus vodka.... a pretty large splash.. and never when im using a chainsaw... usually i reserve that for when i am being a furniture mechanic. ;)

loggah

Sailor jerry and coke !! ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

red oaks lumber

no caffine or alcahol or nicotine for me just water and eating right . sorry oldjar, i think thats just another "voodoo" drink just like the others that have come and gone but, if you feel it works for you keep on!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

tyb525

I used to be practically addicted to monster energy, but I realized it was really tearing my stomach up to the point of vomiting at random every few days. Once I quit drinking that I was fine.

Now I just drink water, pop, milk, and tea, that's pretty much it. I noticed whenever I drink orange juice, I come down with a cold or something the day after ??
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

florida

The only thing in any energy drink that might pep you up is caffeine and they don't have as much as a cup of coffee.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

beenthere

florida
You might want to enlighten yourself with the caffeine in some energy drinks per this site.
http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database

5 hour energy     69 mg/fl.oz
Diet Pepsi             3
Mtn Dew               4.5
Coffee Espresso   51
Coffee brewed      13

Which energy drink do you get your figures from?  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Monster energy drinks have 10 mg/fl oz based on the same site :) Energy "shots" like 5-hour usually contain much, much more caffeine per oz, definitely more than coffee.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!