iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Energy Drinks

Started by Gary_C, January 22, 2013, 09:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

Just give me a good old cup of coffee any day over those crazy energy drinks and their nasty bitter taste.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

florida

beenthere

Yes, but how many ounces in a 5 Hour energy drink?

Actual energy is provided by fuel. In a car that energy is usually gas. In a human body that energy is provided by food. Sugar is the only source of calories(energy) in an energy drink and they have almost none. 5 Hour energy brags that they have NO sugar!

Energy drinks also contain some stimulants but stimulants aren't energy and the amount they contain is too small to last more than few minutes at best.

The bottom line is save your money. If you need a caffeine boost drink some coffee and if you need calories  eat a Snickers bar.

Here's a good WebMD article on energy drinks.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/energy-boosters-can-supplements-and-vitamins-help?page=4
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

WH_Conley

Many a time I have had Snickers bar and a cup of coffee. That will crank you for a bit.
Bill

Roxie

Looking at the caffeine per ounce is deceiving.  A five hour energy drink has 1.3 ounces with 69 mg caffeine per ounce.  So, 89.7 mg caffeine per serving.  The average 8 ounce cup of coffee has between 80 and 125 mg of caffeine. 

Say when

beenthere

Roxie
Good comparison, but the 5 hour energy I see in the ads are 1.93 oz.
So that is 133. About $1 per oz for the 5 hour energy drink on Amazon.

Equal to a 10 oz cup of brewed coffee, and likely the coffee is cheaper for the same energy shot.

My only point was to call florida on his statement. ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Plus coffee is warm for these colder months smiley_thumbsup
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

florida

beenthere

5 Hour Energy is the only one that has more caffeine than coffee. Red Bull and Monster both contain about 80mg per 8 ounces while 8 ounces of coffee is about 150 mg. All the rest are 80 or under.

All I was trying to do was save some people money. Your choice is a 79 cent cup of coffee and a $1.50 candy bar or a 2 ounce 5 Hour energy for $3.00.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: OlJarhead on January 23, 2013, 01:05:25 AM
ground my own flour from Hard Winter Wheat (I still do) to make bread with.

The biggest scam with processed wheat is that they call it fortified with 9 essential nutrients. They didn't tell ya the processing took about all of it away to begin with and a whole lot more good stuff, plus added all the bleaching chemicals to whiten it. I use local ground flour from a grist mill.

I drink coffee, but have not drank soft drinks in years and especially not interested in expensive water or energy drinks. I will have a bite of 'good' chocolate once in awhile, even a dish or home cooked chocolate pudding. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

You know, it's easy for those beverage makers to push this stuff especially onto the younger crowd that sit in front of video games. Why? Because in a lot of those games the main characters in the storyline are always drinking some kind of potion for special effects like recovering health and stamina. These outfits are very clever witch doctors don't you think?   ;)

A good radio show here on CBC was "The Age of Persuasion" to hear of all the gimmicks imaginable. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I tried Red Bull twice. No more.  ::) It was a quick picker upper but when I came down it was no fun anymore. The second time an acquaintance talked me into a vile concoction called a Jagerbomb, Jagermeister and Red Bull. I had one to shut him up, it was awful.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When I was a teenager back in the 60's, I remember a drink that came out down here in the South.

It was called "Jogging in a Jug". The company claimed you could drink this and would lose weight without exercise and it would give you extra energy.  Shoot, the women around here went to drinking the fool out of that stuff. The only thing that happened to them was they blew up like a Navy life raft.  :o

They should have named it "Junk in the Trunk".  :D :D :D It was nothing but sugar.

This company quit making it after bad publicity.

Update.......I just looked on the Net. They still sale it!  steve_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

blackfoot griz

"The only thing that happened to them was they blew up like a Navy life raft"

Now there's a visual!  Gonna be thinking about this all day... :D

Raider Bill

Quote from: blackfoot griz on January 26, 2013, 01:18:10 PM
"The only thing that happened to them was they blew up like a Navy life raft"

Now there's a visual!  Gonna be thinking about this all day... :D

That got me laughing as well! :D :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Corley5

I think it was Jaeger Bombs but it may have been another concoction made with an energy drink that some kids died from a while back.  Of course they probably had at least 20 of them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I see another drink women around here sell out of their house, called Noni juice. Suppose to be some indigenous Hawain concoction I think.

tyb525

Quote from: Corley5 on January 26, 2013, 08:04:41 PM
I think it was Jaeger Bombs but it may have been another concoction made with an energy drink that some kids died from a while back.  Of course they probably had at least 20 of them.

Someone used to make an alcoholic energy drink I believe.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

jueston

Quote from: tyb525 on January 27, 2013, 10:03:49 PM

Someone used to make an alcoholic energy drink I believe.

there were a few available here a year or so ago. they outlawed them because some study showed that mixing caffeine and booze increased the number of drunk driving incidents. i think that's pretty funny because they didn't outlaw jack and cokes or jegarbombs.... which has caffeine and booze just the same.

SwampDonkey

As if that would stop it. :D

jueston

hahaha wouldn't be the first time the government passed a completely unenforceable law..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: jueston on January 29, 2013, 06:38:29 PM
hahaha wouldn't be the first time the government passed a completely unenforceable law..
And not the last.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!