iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

World's toughest maul?

Started by jargo432, May 16, 2014, 10:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

B.A.S.H. claims to have the worlds toughest maul.  I saw on t.v. how good their sledge hammers were and was impressed.  Here's the link....

http://www.wiltonbash.com/products/splitting-mauls/

Does anyone have any experience with these?
Jack of all trades.

den

Here all the time I thought it was the Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

SLawyer Dave

The only weakness I have ever found with the monster mauls is that the head can break off right at the weld to the handle due to metal fatigue.  So I put both horizontal and vertical welds to stop that.  Haven't had a problem since. 

drobertson

It has been years ago now, but I did modify the original 16lb monster maul, step drilled it out, filled it with 7-1/2 shot, capped it with a 5/8" plate, finish weight was 17.4 lbs, I loved this maul, someone loved it more, never a bad weld in this one, it would bust the big ones for sure, straight up, straight down, no swinging this one, no need to.  A good maul is worth its weight for sure,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

CTYank

FRom what I've used, Mueller 3 kg maul is made of the toughest steel. I'm guessing about Rc 48. Very hard, not brittle, extremely tough stuff. Could be from the base alloy and/or heat-treating.

After about 3 years, the main change to the head has been to polish the cheeks farther back from the edge, wearing off the "foundry finish". After many hits with the poll, there are no tell-tale marks on the surface.

At 3 kg (6.6 lb) the head is about as heavy as is practical for me. Twenty lb.? No chance.

Wetterlings 2.5 kg maul rcvd about a year back is also made from excellent steel. Both these mauls are made of much better metal than fiskars- no chipping or flaking, and the polls can be used to strike metal.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Mac102004

20lbs might be more my speed. I've driven many many fence posts with a 16lbs. I swing an 8lbs regularly with one hand...but $190....WOW
562XPG 24" B/C
357XP 18" B/C

Thank You Sponsors!