DIY airfoil dust extractor for cyclone? Theory? Website? Bill Pentz.

Started by Satamax, October 11, 2021, 04:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

A little delving into the woodworking section of the forum. 

I  have read Bill Pentz website about cyclonic dust extractors from top to bottom, and left to right. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/

He's stating that he had trouble finding airfoil dust extractors suiting his needs. 

I have built and  improved my cyclone through the years, ad it is time to have another iteration. 

I have a 2ft airfoil fan, just the fan part, not the casing, nor the motor.  It was a restaurant fumes extraction. 1.1kw 900 rpm.  it's rather thick steel. 

I was wondering if any of you has ever bumped into a website going in details, on how to make those fans, and what motors are needed, calculations etc? That would be rather useful for me. Rather than slapping any motor on the fan, and hopping for the best. 

Thanks a lot to all of you guys and gals.  
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

kantuckid

This may not apply to the thread as highly non scientific:
 My dust collector was once a universities small wind tunnel air source. 
It's a cast alu turbine wheel inside a sheet metal housing, powered by a 1/2hp motor. I sat it on a small platform up near my 10' ceilings and suck all my dust, chips and shavings via 4" ducting- then they are blown into a plywood box attached to an outside wall.
 Access dictates a wheelbarrow to move them away. Paid a kid $25 for like 25 wheelbarrow loads last week in fact.  I dump it over a nearby steep bank to rot away. When I've done certain woods I gave the shavings to neighbors like cedar for dog pens, etc.. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Satamax

Thanks a lot Kantuckid.

Well, i am having trouble to find the right turbine for my application. I would like something in the 4 to 5.5kw range. I'm not that fussed about the type of blade. If airfoil, i will have more CFM, if straight bladed, i won't have to be as careful as with the airfoil. But all i find over here, on the secondhand market, is either way overpriced, or small, less than 3kw, or huge, more than 10kw. My shop has a 15kw supply. Lets say 10 for the machines, and 5 for the dust extractor, and i'll be fine.

Big shaper/moulder takes 11.4kw at startup.

Here's how the system looks for the moment.

2.2kw turbine, 37cm cyclone, all piping is a smidge over 6 inches. (160mm)

I want to add a rotary vane, and a screw leading the shavings and sawdust outside. And i want to transform it into a sucking system, instead of a push through. Enlarge the cyclone too. And go for a 12 inch main duct.

The filters can cope no prob, i have about 640sqft of filter surface.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

21incher

I know there is an older thread about Yellowhammer updating his dust collection system and adding an outside dump chamber that you may want to search  for. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Don P

I took a fairly heavy industrial HVAC fan, cut the side out of the scroll casing. Cut their squirrel cage fan off of the heavy  round steel hub plate. Then I cut out straight radial fan blades that were as large in diameter but not as deep, I narrowed the fan and used the same motor since I was moving material and using a less efficient blade. Diameter makes pressure, width makes volume. If you want both it takes horses  :D.

Larry

I found an old belt driven blower in a farm equipment junkyard years ago.  I had no idea how much hp it would take or the proper rpm.  I hooked up a 5 hp motor and measured amps.  First try I was pulling to many amps so I changed pulleys until I had the amp draw a bit below maximum for my motor.  Not sure if the procedure has merit for your arrangement.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Satamax

Quote from: Larry on October 13, 2021, 09:27:16 PM
I found an old belt driven blower in a farm equipment junkyard years ago.  I had no idea how much hp it would take or the proper rpm.  I hooked up a 5 hp motor and measured amps.  First try I was pulling to many amps so I changed pulleys until I had the amp draw a bit below maximum for my motor.  Not sure if the procedure has merit for your arrangement.
Thanks a lot guys. 
Larry, that's an interesting way. I could do something along those lines. I  sorts of motors up to 22kw for testing. One old saw arbor, or make one myself, as i have a lathe. And plenty of pillow blocks. I would need to make the blower housing too. 

Satamax

Quote from: Don P on October 13, 2021, 06:53:03 PM
I took a fairly heavy industrial HVAC fan, cut the side out of the scroll casing. Cut their squirrel cage fan off of the heavy  round steel hub plate. Then I cut out straight radial fan blades that were as large in diameter but not as deep, I narrowed the fan and used the same motor since I was moving material and using a less efficient blade. Diameter makes pressure, width makes volume. If you want both it takes horses  :D.
Interesting too. Thanks a lot. 
I really need a website where the formulas are written. That is if i can understand those. 

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kantuckid

In the USA, the web is full of surplus dust collectors which most will be similar setups to what's seen outside a common custom cabinet shop here. 
My system works OK for a small shop but not EPA approvable in an urban area :D 
My setup only handles a planer by closing all the other outlets. 
I use an under $15, wireless remote 15 amp controller, which is more often sold for controlling holiday lights on Amazon. I also place a 20" box fan at the front door to suck out residual dust. Mounted to the ceiling is a remote controlled dust collector with the filtration for fine dust from sanding. A pedestal fan also blows dust away from me while making a mess. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Satamax

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 14, 2021, 08:36:55 AM
Curious, why are you wanting to build one?  
Because i can't find exactly what i want for the moment. And i have this laying around.

So i thought, why not! ;D

aigheadish

Being a fan of fans and someone that will need some dust extraction sometime, this is a neat thread. I don't know anything about motors and the like but I love the romance of figuring out a project like this. On this sort of stuff is the dust moving through the blades of the fan or is there some kind of pass-through?

Satamax- the shadowing on that picture makes it really interesting to look at and try to figure out.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Erik A

Ok, it's late here, but does that push or pull air? I am thinking it would push air through the hole with the curve of the blades??

Although this seems wrong!

If it's running ccw, I could see pulling air, maybe the curve of the blade is efficient?

Satamax

running counter clockwise, pulling air. It is an "airfoil" fan, intake is in the center, exit all around.