Fruit Squisher

Started by metalspinner, September 25, 2010, 12:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

As if there aren't enough projects around here that need attention, I drug this fruit press home yesterday.  The plate in the middle reads "Cinncinatti B.S. Co. No. 2."

It appears to be complete with no cracks in the iron.  The woodwork is another thing.  A whole new stand needes to be built.

In the little bit of research I did online, it seems the apples will need to be ground up prior to pressing?  After pricing these cast iron grinders  :o, I believe a nice wooden one can be made in the shop just fine. ;)

Anyone with experience using these, please offer your advice on anything from stand design and features to recipes for apple cider and sauce. The new stand will have more triagulation than the old one for sure.  Incorporating some wheels would be nice, too.

My hopes are to have this thing fully functional for our cub scout district camp out at the end of October. :D

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

fresh apple cider is the best stuff going!

I found a press a few years ago, my mother commandeered it, and it is at my parents place.  the plan is to make apple cider in October again.

I made a grinder that pretty much turns the apples into pulp out of a wooden drum and a bunch of screws in it.  it doesn't feed the apples on it's own, I use a board to push the apples into the grinder.  I use a drill to power the grinder. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvuQh2k_SE

here's a video of the press in action:
take it from me, do it outside, unless you want a thumpin from your wife :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD6cH3L4Ra4
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bill m

I made an apple grinder similar to that but used 2 rollers rotating to each other so it would pull the apples in. It works great. I will try to get pictures as soon as I can ( recovering from surgery and can't lift anything yet).
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Dan_Shade

did you have a gear drive between the two rollers?

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bill m

Yes. If I can get some help tomorrow I will try to get pictures.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

metalspinner

Thanks, Guys.

The two roller idea sounds good. That will give another kid something to do. :)

The layout of this grinder and press looks efficient...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwOuwiMGh0A

In your experience, how many apples does it take to make a gallon of cider?  How far into the year are apples on a tree?  Should I start to scrounge around for apples now or will a month off the tree be too long?  What can be done with wheelbarrows full of squished apple guts? :D  I thought handing out cups of "apple sauce" would be a good way to move some of the product.  But would squeezing out so much juice leave me with a "dry" sauce?

Boy that's alot of questions. ::)  I'm pretty much just brainstorming through the process.

Dave Shepard

My friend Don is getting ready for his annual squeezing on the 17th. His press takes about a bushel to fill, and I think you get about 2 gallons of cider. You grind the apples whole, so you aren't going to be making any apple sauce. I hope. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

the pulp can be composted, or it could also be dumped out for deer, but I don't know if they'd eat it.

Also, it can be steeped in water for a second pressing, this is called "ciderkin".  I've never tried this.

metalspinner

Here is a picture of what I hope to acheive with rebuilding the press.

Off to dig through the woodpile... 8) 8)

pigman

My dad bought a farm 50 years ago that had a small apple orchard. We made a lot of cider with a press that looked just like the one in metalspinner's picture. I have no idea what happened to that press. My brothers made some pear cider one year. That stuff started foaming after a couple days and and turned a pale green. It was still pretty good if you didn't drink too much. After several cups I didn't care how it tasted. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Stan snider

I have an old press that needs rebuilding too. The frame looks like white oak but I'm not sure about the staves that hold the pulp. Anyone have any Ideas?  That pear cider sounds good too.     Stan

terrifictimbersllc

Does one pick out all the worms first or just put them in too? ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pigman

Without some worms cider just does't taste right. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

isawlogs

Dan , nice grinder, here is one like yours with a little extra pusher board on it .

http://woodgears.ca/cider/index.html 

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dan_Shade

We use a 2x4 as a pusher. 

First time o used it, I was using apples to push them in.  Then it caught my finger.  (that's why I'm wearing a glove in the  video...).

metalspinner

A quick update...

The only dry beefy wood I have around here is this cherry.  To make my decision even easier, it happened to be on top. ;)

As far as I got was the frame. 

The tray will follow shortly then on to the apple grinder. 

Still to do is sandblasting of the cast parts and a nice coat of paint. :)  I still need to browse around the towns "junk" piles for a nice cast iron wheel.

metalspinner

I got a little work done today.  After arguing with my dovetail jig for a couple of ours, I finally got the tray and upper bracket made...

This is dry fitted together. 

With the heavy woodwork done,  it's on to the grinding mechanism. :-\

ohsoloco

My dad's cider press has enough room in between the outside of the grinder and the inner part that does the damage that it self feeds the apples.  The only time there is a problem is if the apples bridge and won't fall into the grinder. 

Chris Burchfield

I bought one similar to the one metalspinner has shown and working on.  I bought it from a fella for $1.00 which is what he wanted.  I said why not just give it to me.  He said "give me a dollar and you can't bring it back."  :D :D :D  I cleaned it up painted it and duplicated the print of date and patent.  I gave it to my mother one Mother's Day to display plant's on.  If I ever get a chance, I'll take pics.  It did have two pulp buckets.  A wooden hoper was extended from the metal feed for the grinder.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

metalspinner

When last we left him...

...the grinding head needed to be made.

Here, I routed a groove down the length of two pieces of maple and glued them together.  Then I machined it down to a drum...

Then, I layed out the spiral with tape...

The holes have all been drilled and screwed with stainless bugle head screws.  They are left proud of the surface to grind up the apples.

It's finally starting to look like something now!  The hopper is in place, but not mounted, yet.  What I thought would be the easiest thing to do - find a fly wheel - turned out to be quite difficult. I hit every antique store between here and there to find just what was on my mind.

And a view from the front...

Still on the list is completing the bottom shelf and a tray for the juice to ride down.  I might have time to make nice new basket, too.

QuoteMy dad's cider press has enough room in between the outside of the grinder and the inner part that does the damage that it self feeds the apples

ohsoloco,
What do you you think that gap is?  I have some adjustability  in the setup of the grinder and am wondering where to place it for good.

SwampDonkey

That's coming along quite nicely. As to the apples, it depends on variety. They pick apples into October up here. Some varieties are dropping from the trees in August, such as yellow transparent and New Brunswicker, which are quite juicy. Gravastene and Dudly are later and also lots of juice. Of course those names may not mean a lot down that way. Certain varieties flourish better in some areas/climates than another.

This is a great restoration project. Enjoying it.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

That's gonna be a beautiful piece when you finish.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

Holy smokes I've been swamped.  The first run of apples through the machine were done at the big event this weekend.  I had my fingers crossed that it would all some how come together.  With a couple of quick alterations and tweaks (Duct tape is an incredible invention), we were finaly making cider!

I will follow up with some pics in a little bit, but here is a video of the operation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3JtYX9Ig0

Burlkraft

That is awesome  :o  :o  :o

That's gonna be one nice squisher.

Good work  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

I think we should Nominate Chris as Father of the Year!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.