iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butternut.

Started by Dave Shepard, August 14, 2015, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Henk198

From "The best of Fine Woodworking; Wood, 1995, Taunton Press, p. 16": "Butternut, Juglans cinerea, is our other major domestic species of Juglans, and one of my personal favorites. While butternut is somewhat coarser in texture, its figure is virtually the same as black walnut. If you have ever wished there was a wood that worked as easilky as pine or basswood yet looked like walnut, butternut is as close as you will ever get. With an average specific gravity of only 0.36, it is actually less dense than Ponderosa pine at 0.38 and substantially less dense than black walnut at 0.51. At the extreme ends of the scale though, the hardest, darkest-colored butternut and the softest walnut can be difficult to tell apart. Yet even then, butternut tends toward gray-tan and gingery tones, while walnut shows more purple. Butternut has prevalent tension wood and tends to fuzz up a little in sanding. Being soft, it will generally drink an extra coat of varnish before it fills to a polishable surface, and it will not endure as well in daily use-this may be important if you are making a table, but it's almost irrelevant for a mantel clock or a picture frame. Author: Jon Arno, amateur wood technologist in Milwaukee, Wisc.

petefrom bearswamp

I harvested a few from my woods about 10 yrs ago.
One was a bruiser that had lain on the ground for 3 yrs.
The lumber was wormy and had a lot of character.
I just sold 6 ugly 6/4 boards today at fire sale prices.
I only have 4 trees left that i can find in my woods.
Canker has nearly wiped the out here.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

Sawed the butternut today. I thought I got more pics of the lumber, but I guess not. This log was 38" small end, and 36" x52" big end. I managed to get it down to 42" tall in this pic. We got a lot of 5/4 slabs from these logs, about 30 of them 24" wide. We hit a hook near there middle of the butt log. We spent about 15 digging to get it loose, and found it was attached to something else. We ditched it, and it will be cut into carving stock.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Too short for trailer decking  :) ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Not too short, I can splice them, but they are too soft. I'm surprised my Kubota lifted these two logs. They had to be over 3,000 pounds.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I love to hate to saw those biguns.  :D  There is just something about conquering the unknown and challenging that stirs up the competitive spirit.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I was worried about being able to position it the way I wanted, but it kind of just plopped on there the way I wanted it.  8) You get lucky once in a while. The second one put up more of a fight, it had a couple of big branch stubs.

Thank You Sponsors!