iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good books

Started by northwoods1, December 14, 2010, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRANITEstateMP

Just found this thread last night and finished it this am, looks of good reads and new ideas for me.  I've read all of Tom Clancy's - Jack Ryan Series, starting at "The Hunt For Red October".  I had a hard time putting some of these books down, some of the things he wrote about / predicted was scary true!  I also enjoyed "The World Made by Hand" series by James Howard Kunstler, that somebody else mention, pretty sure there are 3 or 4 books in that series.  They were a good read also.

"Lights Out" by David Crawford was another EMP type book similar to "One Second After".  It was a great read, had a hard time putting that down too.  Been a while since I read that book.

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline was a fun book too.  Takes place in the not too distant future, I can't describe it and give it justice, just a fun read.

I've read and now listen to all of WEB Griffins "Corps" and "The Brotherhood of War" Series.  I like to read these longer series, because as others have said you get invested in the characters!  I have a 30 to 40 minute commute to work and listening to the books helps make that time pass, and it's cut down on my temper with other drivers...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

timberking

Read Frozen Hours as recommended by Raider Bill and was not disappointed.  What our guys went through is unreal.  Stacking frozen Chinese to fortify a position.  I was cold reading about it.  Back on another John Sanderson novel.  If you like Lee Child (Jack Reacher), you might enjoy Sanderson.

Raider Bill

Quote from: timberking on July 07, 2017, 01:08:37 PM
Read Frozen Hours as recommended by Raider Bill and was not disappointed.  What our guys went through is unreal.  Stacking frozen Chinese to fortify a position.  I was cold reading about it.  Back on another John Sanderson novel.  If you like Lee Child (Jack Reacher), you might enjoy Sanderson.

All of Jeff Sharras's books are great. Basically he starts with the American Revolution and goes to his last book which you just read. He did not write them in order but I'd suggest following the dates he writes about.

I can't suggest his dad's book Killer Angels enough. The mini series Gettysburg was based on it.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

red

Lots of good info on popular books for those that like to read
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Raider Bill

I just finished Ghost Rider by Neal Peart. He is the drummer for the band Rush.
He lost his daughter in a car accident, within a year of that his wife caught cancer and passed then he had to put his dog down. 
He jumped on his bike for 50k miles and about a year to clear his head.
The books about his journey during that time.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

dgdrls

Teddy Roosevelt's Ranch Life & Hunting Trail.

Great read about TR's time in the US west at his ranch on the Little Missouri River, N. Dakota.
He visited in late 1883 for a 15 day hunting trip, loved it so much he purchased a Ranch and some cattle.
With the passing of his first wife and mother on the same day in early 1884. He left for the Ranch.

Elkhorn Ranch - Theodore Roosevelt National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

D

moodnacreek

An old favorite; Spiked Boots comes to mind. Also in Camp And Cabin by John Steele if I remember correctly.

farmfromkansas

Read a really good book a month or so ago, called Star of the North.  About life in North Korea.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

51cub

Quote from: moodnacreek on June 19, 2020, 11:42:20 AM
An old favorite; Spiked Boots comes to mind. 
Also by Robert Pike- Tall Trees, Tough Men. Another one I like is called A Book of Country Things as told by Walter Needham. Most of what I have are out of print like the ones you used to get from Lindsay. Unfortunately, between time and attention span they're mostly reference books now. I have to admit that sometimes for something quick to read and not hard to follow kids books can't be beat. April Morning, Hessian Soldier, The Broken Blade. Some of those though you have to remember that it's entertainment, not a history textbook
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Raider Bill

Ghost Rider by Neil Peart.

moodnacreek

51 Cub, have you read 'John Goffe's Mill?    { 50 cub white demo]

Weekend_Sawyer

I just finished "The Last Days of Night"
about Westinghouse, Edison and Tesla.

Very, Very good.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

51cub

@moodnacreek  No, I hadn't seen it yet but thanks. It looks like it's exactly the kind of thing I want to see
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

red

Talking about good books 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Raider Bill

I'm rereading Killer Angels for the hundredth time.

It's on my top 5 all time book lists.

rusticretreater

My daughter bought me a three book set on Teddy Roosevelt.  The man lived an incredibly extraordinary life.

Edmund Morris's Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy:  The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Rex, and Colonel Roosevelt

Pulitzer Prize, National Book Award and on Modern Library's list of 100 best nonfiction books.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

GRANITEstateMP

Hugh Howey's, Silo series.  First book was "Wool". It's been a while, but they were great reads
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

RichTired

Any of Lewis Grizzard's books!
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

GRANITEstateMP

Stephen King's, Mr. Mercedes series was a.good.read. 3 books, kept me thinking, who done it
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Dan_Shade

Those are good.  "The Outsider" is another story with the character Holly in it.

"Billy Summers" is also really good 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

GRANITEstateMP

Paul Doiron has a fictional series based around a Maine Game Warden.  I think there are around 12 books now?  I've only read 3 or 4, the rest I listened to as audiobooks when plowing snow or doing field work
book 1 is; The Poachers Son
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Bradm

Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer.  Fictional story following the life of a small town farm boy who enlists in the army shortly before WW1 and follows his life until his death.

I'm going to give Adam Smith's "The Wealth of Nations" another go.  The farthest I've been able to get is about 1/4-1/3 of the way through.  Going to try an audio book this time.

Prizl tha Chizl

I just listened to "The hidden life of trees" Peter Wohlleben. I'll never look at a woods the same way again.
Lots of cool stuff about how trees sustain each other, deal with pests, form complex relationships with micorriza, each other, and the natural world around them. I tried reading it a few years ago and couldn't get into it, but having it in my ear while sanding drywall I digested  most of it and was able to tune out the stuff that was too much for me. Yeah, some of it might be a bit of a stretch, but I think lots of good science in there based on real observation and matches up with stuff I've noticed over the years. I wish my county forester would read it.
"The Woods Is My Church"

Don P

I came away from that one... shaking my head. Yup I get it but that was the Disney version. I was in their woods harvesting for a project and when possible dealing with a burgeoning beech "issue" when the clients handed me that to read :D. Okey dokey but look around this isn't going to turn out well.

Prizl tha Chizl

Hey I get it, nobody likes to be told what to read, there's a lot of Good Books been pushed on me that I can't figure out why people waste their time with.🤷‍♂️
I had a hard time with the light reading aspect of it as well, but if you need the whole grain version, Suzanne Simard's scientific papers are on her website https://mothertreeproject.org/background/journal-articles/publications-all/?doing_wp_cron=1650913563.6623098850250244140625
Forestry is just one of the places this relatively recent understanding of plant/micorrizal relationships is having an impact, food ag is all over it, too, and I know it'sa young field, but anything that's gonna help me think about my woods in the big picture is probably gonna benefit the great grandkids I'm thinking of when I take care of them.
I had a gander around the room before I bellied up to the bar, and when I did I felt right at home with this crowd that knows how to work and loves the woods. I'm sure it's a smart enough group to be able to sift out the chaff on this one for the kernels inside.
"The Woods Is My Church"

Thank You Sponsors!