iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT15 "Tune Up"

Started by groondogg, March 05, 2020, 06:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groondogg

Brand new to the forum.  I just purchased a used (2014) Woodmizer LT15.  It has minimal use, but has been sitting unused for at least 3 years.  I am wanting to do a tune up on it before i get to milling.  Any recommendations?

I've called, left a voicemail and sent an email to Woodmizer asking them for recommendations, but so far haven't heard back from anyone.

Thanks!

A-z farmer

Welcome to the forestry forum 
groondog 
Did you get the manual with the mill?
I would call woodmizer in Indy to register in your name and they will send you the manual.
Good luck in your sawdust journey it is amazing.
Zeke

firefighter ontheside

The manual is a great place to start.  I downloaded them to my iPad.  Look at the process for leveling the bed using string to make sure all sections are inline.  Make sure all feet are touching the ground or whatever it's sitting on.  Make sure rope is tight.  Check backstops for square.  Use ATF on chain.  Use atf on wipers.  Maybe clean the belts.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

ACman

If it runs ok maybe do oil, spark plugs and air filter.  If not running ok may need carb cleaning, 3 years sitting is long time with this ethenol fuel.  As for saw check condition of drive belts and check bearings in rollers and any pulleys. Check band wheels for any build up and check belts on those band wheels. Those belts should be sticking up out of the groove just alittle, if worn down flush replace them. You can get them at NAPA. Looking at saw from engine side, on the left side at bottom where it rolls on the track. On each side there is a square white piece  of plastic, behind it is a felt wiper, it gets ATF and put back on. I am sure theres something i left off so like said above register your saw with WM and get the manual. I have same saw and love it, so welcome aboard .
Wood Mizer LT-15

jeepcj779

OffGrid973

Start her up and see what shakes...the paint looks brand new, nice purchase.

Get those rails level and see if she rolls even, then onto the engine if it's not running smooth.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

caveman

I would do all of the above and also check the drive belt tension.  If it were me, I would order some 4° bands and start sawing.
Caveman

groondogg

Thank you for the feedback so far!  I did not get a manual, so I appreciate the link to it.  I have registered it online with Woodmizer, just haven't been able to speak with someone on the phone yet.  Thanks again

GAB

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 05, 2020, 08:05:11 PM
The manual is a great place to start.  I downloaded them to my iPad.  Look at the process for leveling the bed using string to make sure all sections are inline.  Make sure all feet are touching the ground or whatever it's sitting on.  Make sure rope is tight.  Check backstops for square.  Use ATF on chain.  Use atf on wipers.  Maybe clean the belts.
Concerning "Check backstops for square."
I do not own an LT15 and am not familiar with the specs for the backstop, however on the LT40 my manual says the top of the log stop needs to be tilted 1/32" towards the log.
Again I am not knowledgeable on the LT15.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

The manual says it should be square or tilted forward by 1/32.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Woodpecker52

I would buy rollers for the  top of the stops, well worth it and it will keep logs from hanging on the tops when turning.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!