iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixing old logging photos.

Started by Jeff, January 30, 2013, 06:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

You can easily spend a couple hours on it .

The first computer I had only came with about 64  of operating memory .The first photo I did I flat locked it up .This was in the days they didn't make big ones and I put in 2 128's which helped and were the largest that would fit at the time .

This machine which is now old my todays standards has two 1.1's .When this one no longer cuts it I'd imagine the next operating system will be huge .

It seems as time marchs on they get larger and the price goes down at the same time ,odd .

I haven't done a photo in years though .

Riggs

Really cool pictures, and a great job restoring them.  :)
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

giant splinter

Jeff,
Nice work on fixing the old photographs, they look very good. Very interesting old railroad and logging photography and its nice to see them coming back to life for all of us to look at, Im sure many of the FF members will be interested and I too will be following this post and checking out equipment and methods of logging from the early days. Great job Jeff ....... lets see more when you have time.
DoctorB,
That temporary bridge is much like what is known as a (log crib trestle) and the idea is still used all around the world today, called "crib wall" or also known as "gravity wall". These are used to stabilize slopes and as retaining walls. A New Zealand Company is one of the primary designers of the modern "crib wall" and the (dog bones) or crib members are fabricated out of reinforced concrete.
Okra,
In some cases these trestle components where dismantled and sent to the mills by shoving them off into the water but where mostly dismantled with a rail car mounted crane that was self propelled and would pull the logs with huge tongs and swing them onto a rail log trailer sitting behind the crane rig. I bet some FF member will be able to find out where the photos where taken and be able to give us even more information on this old time logging operation.
roll with it

jueston

those are some great pictures and your doing some great work on them jeff, when i was younger i really enjoyed playing with photoshop and did a little work removing or adding people to photos[after divorces and whatnot], but working with modern photos is a little easier i think. when cloning you loose some sharpness, and in a modern digital photo there is lots of room to loose a little detail before its noticed on a print out, but in those photos they are so blurry to begin with, you wouldn't want to loose much detail or you would just have grey.

after you finish you could make a new binder and auction it off...  :)

Jeff

I thought I would post my progress on this latest photo. It is coming along, but tedious.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Nice work.
And to think, a week a go you were warming up the cabin and waitin on Burlboy ta get there.  :)

He's getting some snow, cold temps and plenty of wind today. He went from the pan to the skillet in a week.  ;)  But I see it is coming your way now so hang on.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

We're probabley talking photos that are over 100 years old more than likely .

My deceased uncles father who treated me like I was his own grandson worked the woods in Mich. in his youth a couple winters .What stories the old gent told of those experiances  in days prior to WW1 .

Jeff

I could probably keep fiddling with this one, but I think I'm going to quit here.  :)

JuniperBoss

Back when men were men and the antelope rome free! Terrific picture restoration. The content in those pictures are really good too :).
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

pigman

Shucks Jeff, that was snow hanging of the roof peak and you removed it. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Quote from: pigman on January 31, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

It probably would have been easier to turn that missing area into snow, rather than have to build a gable and a roof and two windows. :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Jeff on January 31, 2013, 03:49:49 PM
Quote from: pigman on January 31, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

It probably would have been easier to turn that missing area into snow, rather than have to build a gable and a roof and two windows. :D

I suppose the whole time you were humming that old song "If I were a carpenter..."

Herb

giant splinter

Jeff,
I think it was worth the effort and the time it took you as it certainly looks very nice, I say keep up the nice work.
roll with it

loggah

Jeff, Great job on all the photos, Those must have all plate glass negatives  originally, My wife is pretty good with all that photoshop stuff also, she owned a printing co for many years  and did all kinds of that work. The Locomotive on that big trestle looks like a small H.K. Porter saddle tank loco, they must have had a really well built roadgrade for that little engine to pull that load. I see in that last picture the camp flunkey has the chow horn. I have a calender picture similar to the trestle one ,it has a steam yarder being pulled by 2 75 ton steam locomotives on the trestle, there must be 1,000,000 board feet in it.I am pretty sure they pulled up all that wood when they moved out !!! The calender is in the upper left hand of this picture ,maybe i can bribe my wife into taking a closeup!  ;D Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

I've got a 12" by 20" glass negative here, that is really awesome, but I've never been able to do anything worthy with it yet. I took it to a place that could make a contact print, but that didn't come out very well. I'd like to find a way to digitally scan the negative in a high resolution.

The original topic on that is here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2489.0.html

and a portion of the photo.

loggah

Those glass plate negs are awesome, you can imagine the size of camera required for a 12"x20" negative.In Darius Kinsey book you can see those big cameras. Here is the copy of the trestle calender my wife just took, two Climax locos and a big steam yarder  picture took in 1924 in Tillamook county Oregon , its on a Willamette industries 1993 calender .

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

Didn't have to do much to this photo. To me, of the ones in this group, this is the most interesting. There is a lot of stuff going on in this photo. Obviously posed. :)

Jeff

loggah

Probably the owner of the lumber co on that sled, i see there butchering a beef critter in there, Something special going on there for sure, those lumberjacks wouldn't be hanging around unless it was a Sunday. Thats one large picture,im going to try and count the number of men in there.i gave up at around 57 people ,and i dead whitetail also. ;D

Peter Drouin

Nice job Jeff on the pic, I see a deer on the meat poll but the other thing might be an ox, what do you think
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DonT

Jeff is that a deer hanging about half way down on the right? Was it Legal for camps to harvest wild game? DonT

beenthere

DonT
Doubt there were any game laws at that time, and a camp deer was ok around here until at least in the 40's.
Lack of game laws apparently nearly wiped out the white tail deer population in WI, from what I can tell.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

If you click on the link above for the large image, you can even see the antlers. :)

DonT

I love the old photos and as Jeff pointed out a whole lot going on.

WDH

Is that Chet in the lower right  ???.  Oh no, I am wrong.  That is a horse  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!