iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for info and stories about rigging with stock

Started by Offthebeatenpath, February 01, 2013, 02:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offthebeatenpath

Hi All,

I'm currently co-authoring a manual for the US Forest Service on principles of backcountry rigging- it will be a resource geared mainly toward trail crews using hand powered winches in creative ways.  We are in the final stages of writing, but we are lacking credible information and photos regarding the use of stock as it pertains to rigging.  We have the standard methods for skidding with stock pretty well dialed, but I'm sure some of you have done some really interesting work with animals in the woods.

I'm interested in learning more about the following:

1. Safety measures such as breakaway devices to disconnect the animals from the loads quickly
2. Use of stock to pull loads in an aerial system where loads are moving through the air.  Imagine the photo below but with horses instead of people pulling on the fiber line...

3. Any interesting scenarios where stock are used with high spar blocks, directional blocks, gin poles, derricks, etc.

I'm hoping that some of you horse/oxen loggers and timber framers may be of assistance. Much of this manual builds on historical and traditional methods, so stories of the bygone era would also be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Jed 
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

beenthere

Quoteregarding the use of stock as it pertains to rigging

Jed
Meaning livestock, I presume? Not sure in the context it is used as "it" pertains to rigging.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offthebeatenpath

Sorry if that was unclear.

Yeah, I'm looking for information on ways that livestock have been used as power sources in conjunction with other types of rigging- high leads, skylines, high spar blocks, etc.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

Offthebeatenpath

I did indeed, thanks Holmes. Seeing that thread is what made me want to reach out about more livestock specific examples.

Thank You Sponsors!