iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speed drying options

Started by PAmizerman, January 17, 2021, 06:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

99 percent of my business in hemlock siding. I sell a good amount green but I feel like I lose a fair amount of business to those people that want it "dry" 
Hemlock is not a cabinet grade lumber so I don't feel it would be necessary to take it down to 8 percent. But would a kiln be the best way to draw it down safely?
Or has anyone just done it in a kiln style container with fans and minimal heat?

I have been kicking around the idea of a kiln but I don't do a lot of volume that would necessarily need kilned. (I might be surprised if I install a kiln).
My holdback is I would like to go with a low volume but be able to do long lengths up to 26' in case someone wants a beam dried. 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The cost for a kiln, including chamber, hardware, misc.expenses, labor, insurance, energy, and other costs, are fairly high.  The way to control costs is to run the kiln 24/7.  This distributes the cost over many board feet and makes the cost low.  So, use you estimate of the market to figure the size of the kiln you need.  Drying to maybe 15% MC is a good target, but hemlock has wetwood...wood that is 30% MC when other pieces are 15% MC.  So, you need to decide if you will pull the kiln at this point or continue drying until all pieces are dry.  I prefer the first and the. Retry the wet pieces when you have a load full. I also suggest you get a loan for the kiln rather. Than use cash.  Keep the cash for logs and lumber and for months when sales are slow.  Also, plan where you will put your next kiln, as many operations expand soon after the first kiln.

More questions?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Nebraska

What about a long solar kiln with a side access for long stuff.  Siding is pretty thin and would dry fairly fast. Maybe some supplimental heat in the winter when needed. Long beams could be rolled in from the side with a dolly system. Stacks of siding could go in and out  the back  while big stuff sat towards the short side in front. Maybe it's not feasible just a thought.

PAmizerman

Possibly. The problem is my location. I'm in PA so not exactly the most effective place for solar. Also where my mill yard is I will be surrounded by trees so not much sun 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

YellowHammer

I don't know anything about hemlock, but I can dry 4/4 poplar down to 18% with fans in a few weeks.  Same thing with pine.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

Thin siding will dry easily, It is the beams you will be challenged by.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

petefrom bearswamp

I sold a lot of Hemlock.
Some green but most air dried some for just a few weeks.
No complaints from either type of customer.
My pole barn siding is Board and batten and was air dried and 18 yrs later no problems.
The carrier beams and purlins also air dried.
But then it is just a barn.
Hemlock IMO is not used for any high quality purpose that needs special drying 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!