iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small low branches on mature trees

Started by kelLOGg, December 23, 2009, 06:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have frequently noticed good size hardwoods producing numerous small (~1/2 inch diameter) branches low to the ground and that the tree soon dies afterwards. Is this observation a good indicator of a tree that is about to die or is it just co-incidental? I have noticed it on oaks, maples gums and probably more. I want to keep an eye out on potential lumber/firewood but like to avoid cutting one that may live for many more years.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Brian Beauchamp

It's called epicormic branching and it is an indicator of stress...so, yes, it can mean that the tree is about to die, but it is not always the case. Epicormic branching may also occur due to sunlight suddenly reaching the lower bole of the tree from removal of surrounding trees.

kelLOGg

Interesting. The woodlot in which I have noticed this most recently was logged about 6 years ago suddenly exposing the lower trunk to sunlight. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

LeeB

That would surely do it and if these trees are shade tolerant, the amount of sun they get now may be too much and thus killing them off.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Rocky_Ranger

I will have to humbly disagree; the epicormic branching is due to "latent buds" being exposed to sunlight.  Conifers don't have latent buds, so I think there is more going on than meets the eye, what are the ages of the hardwoods?  I believe if no other indicators exist then the branching is due to tree response to thinning and the sunlight activating the latent buds.  Is there root damage to the trees dieing?  Sun scald might be a reason, and 6 years seems about right, but there would not be very many 86 due to sun scald of the species you listed.  As with the folks that posted before me - it depends..........
RETIRED!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: kelLOGg on December 23, 2009, 08:20:37 PM
Interesting. The woodlot in which I have noticed this most recently was logged about 6 years ago suddenly exposing the lower trunk to sunlight. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.
Bob

Some species, like white birch are hit hard by sun scald by opening up the stand too much. I have also noticed some people like to leave almost suppressed or weaker co-dominant maples behind as a future crop, they just die a slow death from the top down. Both the birch and the maple will epicormic as well as they die, but increased light is the trigger. Also you can get skidding damage to the bole or roots may be injured in logging causing the crown to die back on that side of the tree.

As to species like balsam fir and white spruce they will also sprout new limbs off dormant buds if they get increased sun intensity on the bole. Happens all the time. Mostly with trees on the outer edge of the forest near a road or field or a stand that has been gutted with residual trees left sparse.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brian Beauchamp

With what may I ask are you disagreeing?

Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on December 23, 2009, 09:33:24 PM
I will have to humbly disagree; the epicormic branching is due to "latent buds" being exposed to sunlight.  Conifers don't have latent buds, so I think there is more going on than meets the eye, what are the ages of the hardwoods?  I believe if no other indicators exist then the branching is due to tree response to thinning and the sunlight activating the latent buds.  Is there root damage to the trees dieing?  Sun scald might be a reason, and 6 years seems about right, but there would not be very many 86 due to sun scald of the species you listed.  As with the folks that posted before me - it depends..........

Rocky_Ranger

Swamp, I've always been confused by that sprouting on conifers, I had a very good friend and researcher that taught me latent buds are only on hardwoods.  But, sprouting on conifers are not latent - they are dormant.  Seems the same thing to me, but I can see the difference (maybe?).  Being in North Carolina I would think the tree deaths are something other than sun scald, seems they are not off-site (which can explain sudden tree death after opening a stand up). 

Looks like I didn't disagree with anyone but myself  :D

More info would help, like root damage, fire, skid trails around the roots whilst wet, etc......
RETIRED!

SwampDonkey

Hardwoods have both and often the dormant buds cluster around the latent one. I've seen it in walnut and butternut lumber. In softwoods like hemlock and Sitka spruce we often found dormant bud clusters and it was a defect call when cruising timber on the BC coast. There would be a bump on the bole where the clusters were. Might only be in the sapwood, or could go in deeper. I guess they wanted us to assume the worst.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Rocky_Ranger

I'm often reminded of an old Native American saying, "The emptiest wagon makes the most noise".  I really do practice that most of the time, it is fun to argue, though, just for the heck of it.  Even if I'm arguing with myself.  8)
RETIRED!

Texas Ranger

Hey, Rocky, no fear, still around, news of my demise is greatly exaggerated.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Phorester

He only smells dead.  Especially after getting wet.  ;D

We have been wondering about 'cha Don.  Glad to see you're still getting around these parts.

Rocky_Ranger

TR, you must be busier than an environmentalist promoting Al Gore's global cooling  ;).  What the heck you been up to, got any rain?
RETIRED!

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on December 24, 2009, 07:28:46 AM
Looks like I didn't disagree with anyone but myself  :D

I do that all the time, RR. :D

Clark

Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on December 24, 2009, 09:04:49 AM
I'm often reminded of an old Native American saying, "The emptiest wagon makes the most noise".

I like that saying but it must have been from the Indians that didn't use a travois? 

More seriously this is an interesting, if primarily academic, debate.

Back to the OP, it sounds like epicormic branching to me also, from what it may arise I won't venture guess at this point!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Rocky_Ranger

An old friend of mine told me that one, that and "that brave is a contrarian because he rides into camp backwards".  Unfortunately, my friend was not as smart as I thought - I was watching "Little Big Man" one night and that is where that line came from.  The brave that washed with dirt and dried with water, said yes for no and no for yes, rode his horse backwards etc. - still funny, I don't care who ya are...........
RETIRED!

Thank You Sponsors!