iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Pine vs Eastern White Pine vs Hemlock subfloor: Which is best?

Started by nwl, April 24, 2011, 02:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwl

Hi all.

Many of the old homes in the area have pine subfloors. Much of the new construction in the area is using hemlock as a subfloor. Mostly because of a nearby sawmill which only cuts hemlock and their prices are very good. A hemlock subfloor will cost less than half the price of plywood.

I have a small portable sawmill. I have both red pine trees and eastern white pine trees on my small woodlot. I would prefer to use pine over hemlock, but not if there is some disadvantage.

Which would be better to use as a subfloor: red pine or white pine or hemlock, and why?

Thanks

SwampDonkey

I hate eastern hemlock subfloor, it's splits when nailing. One of the reasons it's cheap I suspect. It's a different beast than western hemlock. I'd use the hard pine myself.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KBforester

Yeah, I've got old Hemlock subfloor (currently being used as my top floor  ::)) and its pretty nasty stuff to use. I'd recommend red pine too, for no other reason then to save your white pine for something nicer. 
Trees are good.

thecfarm

nwl,welcome to the forum. I have all such of questions for you.Where in Maine are you? What kind of sawmill you got? How long you been sawing? What's the name of the sawmill sawing the hemlock? There is a Expo coming right up on May 13-14 in Bangor. This is a post on it.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,49610.0.html
Anything to do with logging will be there. Right from chainsaws to skidders,forwarders,big 1000hp chippers,3pt winches for tractors,trucks.It's a great day. Maybe you have heard of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I'd use the Red Pine, it's the strongest of the three you listed, save the white pine for trim or something. I couldn't tell you about Hemlock, we don't have any of that up here.
Too many irons in the fire

laffs

use the red pine on the floor. id use the hemlock on the roof. i dont care much for hemlock boards.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Thank You Sponsors!