iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rethinking my sticker sizes

Started by WV Sawmiller, March 02, 2016, 12:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I have been cutting my stickers 1" square/thick and made a jig to cut them off at 4' long. I noticed this morning when I was re-stacking some walnut slabs and such that I use a lot of short pieces about a foot long for stacking single mantels, boards and slabs. I also have accumulated quite a few good plastic pallets about 3' square I use.

I guess I will keep my remaining 4' stickers in case/until anyone else wants to buy them but I think from now on I will cut them 3' long to match my pallets and also keep a bunch of 1' and 2' stickers handy for those small jobs like stacking single mantels or slabs or cookies and such. I've been cutting or breaking my dry stickers for that purpose.

I often take my tops or occasionally even a dead tree and cut it up for stickers. I generate a lot of my stickers edging my flitches. That's why  I use 1" as it matches the sheeting I typically cut.

When cutting for a client I try to make my lumber stacks the same width as the forks on his tractor. A 40" pile is common. I then cut the stickers off the edgings to match that length for them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Remle

I've always used 3' stickers. It is more convenient (less stress on your back) to reach across or run around the stack to place boards on the back side of the 4' dimension,  convenient so you don't have to be a perfect 90 deg. to get the stack on your forks and a sheet of steel roofing @ 37 1/4 " wide makes a good cover.

AnthonyW

I split the difference, but with a reason (or purpose). My stickers are 42" long, because most wooden pallets are 42" wide. I use two wooden pallets and a set of stickers under the stack to elevate the stack from the ground. On top there is one set of stickers, then a pallet, a tarp, and another pallet to hold the tarp down.

The pallets are free and biodegradable. When they rot away or break, they go straight into the brush pile.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

drobertson

I was thinking at first you were going to make them thicker or thinner, mine too range from 7/8" to 1-1/8", and I separate into their respective size bundles.  I too saw mine at 42", with this length I end up with a shorty on the 8' + sticks.  I do keep a few 1-1/2" from trimmings when sawing these, they come in handy at times.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe the goat will know whether a $300 sticker should be bigger or smaller than a $10 sticker.  :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Gearbox

I started cutting 1X2 stickers I think they stay in place better . Pluss the help I get can tell the 1 inch side from the 2 . All mine are cut 48 and stack to 44 .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 02, 2016, 06:52:45 PM
Maybe the goat will know whether a $300 sticker should be bigger or smaller than a $10 sticker.  :laugh:

All my stickers are 10 foot. I put them on a rack and they air dry.
Makes better sense to me to dry long stickers.

As I need dry stickers, I just pull them out and cut the length I need on the cut off saw. Any left over out of a 10 foot sticker goes in a barrel for later use.

I sell my stickers at 10 cents a foot.
So if you want 3,000 linear feet of stickers, that will be $300 dollars. Get it?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cazzhrdwd

Mine are 44" and planed 1/2 inch thick. I couldn't get enough lumber in my kiln at 1" thick.

96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 02, 2016, 07:29:14 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 02, 2016, 06:52:45 PM

All my stickers are 10 foot. I put them on a rack and they air dry.
Makes better sense to me to dry long stickers.

As I need dry stickers, I just pull them out and cut the length I need on the cut off saw. Any left over out of a 10 foot sticker goes in a barrel for later use.

I sell my stickers at 10 cents a foot.
So if you want 3,000 linear feet of stickers, that will be $300 dollars. Get it?  :D
I was referring to the price tags you put on your items.  Forgot you don't have any $10 items.  ;D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

[quote author=terrifictimbersllc link=topic=89080.msg1369295#msg1369295 date=1456965487

I was referring to the price tags you put on your items.  Forgot you don't have any $10 items.  ;D
[/quote]

I know you were..... :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!