Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Ban the bag

Started by Ron Wenrich, May 21, 2007, 05:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Support loggers use paper bags and ban the plastic ones ;D ;D :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

Too late!  They've done tore down the paper mills around here and hauled all that scrap steel to China.  In their place, Georgia Pacific has built a humongous new OSB plant 30 miles inland to utilize the millions of acres of pine that was planted for paper wood.  The loggers are busier than ever, and the town where the paper mill was has turned into a yuppie haven, surrounded by fields of McMansions, all built out of OSB.  The exact site of the old paper mill is now a shipping port.  It gained a toeholt in that business when Katrina tore up so many other ports.  The railroad behind my house, which once only served the paper mill, is more active than it has been in years, with the plant and the port to serve.

People are moving into the area in droves from all over the place.  Most of them are Yankees(a generic term denoting anyone from North of the Mason/Dixon) re-migrating from S. Fla, where they are being crowded out by other Yankees.  While most of the Country is in a housing slump, new starts are up by about 300% in this area.  By the time I finish my house, I may hafta sell out($,$$$,$$$) and retire up north where there ain't so many Yankees.  Meanwhile, we gonna need a whole scrappolaload of them little plastic bags.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rebocardo

I like getting lots of plastic bags, it is what I throw the loaded down disposable diapers in when changing my kids. I figue that is around 18,000+ plastic bags in five years.  :o

I tried the diaper services, service was so terrible and so expensive I canceled it.

What they should do is make plastic bags out of coated corn starch so once it gets wet it starts to slowly dissolve. I have noticed the new thin bags do tend to fall apart now ... before you even get out of the store.

Raider Bill

Quote from: DanG on May 23, 2007, 12:23:43 PM

People are moving into the area in droves from all over the place.  Most of them are Yankees(a generic term denoting anyone from North of the Mason/Dixon) re-migrating from S. Fla, where they are being crowded out by other Yankees.  While most of the Country is in a housing slump, new starts are up by about 300% in this area.  By the time I finish my house, I may hafta sell out($,$$$,$$$) and retire up north where there ain't so many Yankees.  Meanwhile, we gonna need a whole scrappolaload of them little plastic bags.
I resemble that remark! :D ;D ::) :-*
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Captain

I don't have a problem with them, but I prefer to see them recycled than just deposited in the landfill.  Our local chain grocery stores all accept them for recycling.

Captain

Jeff

We found a good use for them but you need quite a few.  If you pack a burlap bag full, it makes a good self healing archery target. You can't shoot through them.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jodi

The grocery store I work at sells fabric grocery bags that a lot of people use regularly. Cuts down on the plastic.

Sawyerfortyish

I'm with Corley if your in the wood business you should support the industry. Use paper not plastic.  I live next to a recycling center and can't tell you how many of them bags get away and blow over on my place. Paper bags and cardboard get wet and soon disappear but those plastic bags blow around forever. Something else I hate styrofoam it's worse than plastic. If they want a new tax try taxing non biodegradable packaging. Ban plastic go paper keep the loggers in business.

farmerdoug

I agree on supporting the loggers but our paper is now coming from other countries too.  Besides the paper beverage container are not very enviromental friendly either.  I think the customer should have the choice, not governments deciding for them.  We have enough stupid laws already here.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dodgy Loner

Some paper is coming from other countries, but the trees that make the with the strongest paper are our very own southern yellow pines.  That's what most paper bags are made of.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Our own southern pine has very long fibers, technically called tracheids.  They provide the most strength and the highest absorptivity, so most diapers and highly absorptive products require southern pine.  Diaper pulp, called fluff pulp because it is fluffed up into a willowly wad, is shipped all over the world.  Also, the strength of the long southern pine tracheid makes it ideal for cardboard and corrugated liner.  At least we have a few advantages............ ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warren

Gary C.  -  AMEN !  Enuf govermnet spending to tell us what to do or not to do.

Thurlow - Agreed.  Reminds me of a fictional story I read one time of a place where all of the people came to together once a year.  One of the tasks was for a citizen to stand up and recite all of the laws that had been established from memory.  If he couldn't recite all of them from memory, then it was time to start thinning out the laws....

Somehow politicians don't understand KISS....
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Danny_S

I have bought a chocolate bar, and a small jug of chocolate milk and the merchant put it in a plastic bag.....  They seem to not be able to sell you stuff unless it's in a bag....  I could have managed carrying the 2 items out to the car, where I was going to eat them anyway!

I would rather see reusable bags / paper bags used. We have reusable ones.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Part_Timer

I work in a 100% recycle paper mill.  We make a grade called corrugated medium.  That is the stuff the fluted part of a cardboard box is made of.  From time to time though we drop the weight of our sheet down and make grocery bag paper.  We don't have a choice at Walmart but the local grocery has both. 

I take paper when given the choice but I'm biased. ;D ;D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Bill

I'm with DanG - use 'em every which way till they fall apart then they are "garbage" bags. Haven't bought real garbage bags since I can't remember when. Use 'em for dirty clothes bags (etc ) when going to woods or a trip with same result. Great for hauling bait ( be it for baaarrrrr or fish ).