iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dog spikes

Started by minesmoria, March 28, 2007, 11:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

I have a 359 husky saw and am looking forĀ  bigger dogĀ  dual pikes like then husky 372 or stihl 044 have.

Sprucegum

Kevin

For a 359 husky.  ;D

Knotdodger

I seen some in the Bailey's dream book.

logger

I would call bailey's and see if they have a set of big spikes for the same mount as a 359.  I would say that is your best bet. 8) ;D :)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

sawguy21

Quote from: Sprucegum on March 28, 2007, 01:12:37 PM
What for?
:D :D Too many people use them as a hinge to compensate for a dull chain. They are only to steady the saw in the cut.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

When I bought my saw the shop shop had a whole bunch of dogs in a box.I guess some cutters don't like them.They run the smooth ones to gain another inch or so.When I was looking at the saws that what was on each one,the smooth ones.I had them put the dogs on.I just like the way they look.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kevin

Dogs are used to anchor the saw in order to get a square cut and to provide a safety factor.

logger

Quote from: Kevin on March 29, 2007, 05:07:16 PM
Dogs are used to anchor the saw in order to get a square cut and to provide a safety factor.

That is exactly what they are for.  Good post kevin. :) ;D 8)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Dave Shepard

The key word being "dogs", not "dog". I hate not having two dogs, I think you would be better off with none.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rebocardo

> Dogs are used to anchor the saw in order to get a square cut and to provide
> a safety factor.

I have noticed the smaller Stihls have a different curved design with the longer spikes at the bottom. I assumed they were designed so they would dig in more to help prevent the saw from rotating upwards once you were in the middle of the cut if you pointed the bar down and hit something or pinched it.

I searched the Federal Register and OSHA and couldn't find any mention of it as a requirement for a small saw, nor in my Stihl catalog, so I assume this is one of the engineering pluses of a Stihl vs. mass market brand.

I was going to remove mine for the extra inch or so, so I wouldn't have to buy yet another small saw, but, thought better of it and let them stay on. Be interesting to get the take on it from a saw engineer on Stihl dog design vs. the others.

With the Husky 3120 I used the dogs to help hold the saw starting the cut so I could position myself more to the left of the saw since holding that thing otherwise gets to be a real drag after a few hours of bucking.

I can see how with a set of two good dogs it would make straighter cuts especially in larger wood.

One thing I noticed with the smaller dog on the Husky 365, is sometimes you can get too close to dry wood and set it smoldering with the muffler.

Thank You Sponsors!