iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sciatica pain

Started by drobertson, December 13, 2012, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

There's an old saying... don't throw the baby out with the bath water. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Shotgun

I'm not going to make a guess.  You can get in trouble that way.  Not worth it.     ;D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

WmFritz

I'll stick my neck out.  yikes_smiley  Were we paintin toe nails?  ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

I would rather see Magicmans toes than to know what happens.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Hope there is improvement!  Get good at the pedicure stuff and you can open a new business!

Magicman

I am still hoping that she can make the Texas Goodwill trip.

I talked with a caterer and ordered our Thanksgiving Dinner.  I will still smoke another turkey and the children will also bring their customary dishes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Man, I don't know where I have missed this thread except for being in the Caribbean Islands for the last 9 days. I had no idea that Pat was going through all this stuff. What can I say about missing this? Anyway I hope that Pat gets all healed up real soon and hope she can make the trip also. She is such a trooper. Lynn you keep doing just exactly what she says and don't get to fat in the meantime. bg

Magicman

Pat is making improvement, but the strange thing is that her pain/numbness/discomfort/nausea seems to change each day.  I guess that the nerve is trying to sort itself out ??

Both of us are still hoping that she will be able to make the Texas Goodwill trip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

This far from surgery, the nausea is undoubtedly from the pain meds.  She is not allergic to them, but her stomach is intolerant of them.  Many, many patients like that.  Ask to try to shift her pain medication.  If she is taking any codeine derivatives ( oxycodone, oxycontin, hydrocodone), a shift to dilaudid (hydromorphone) may help the nausea, and sometimes, provides better pain relief.  Just a thought.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

THANK YOU doctorb  Pat was beginning to wonder and suspicion that.  Being a bit nauseous and not able to eat much and then taking what you listed on an empty stomach was only complicating and making matters worse.

She will avoid taking those and see what happens but of course that leaves her without much help through this Holiday.  It has been a week and thankfully she was weaning herself off anyway.

LaneC

I hope it works for you. I would make sure the doctor explained the possible after effects of the surgery. I am in no way trying to scare you or influence you, I am only trying to bring up your awareness. I had a 2 level fusion after an industrial accident. April will be a year. I am now pretty much down for the count. I had a great career in the oilfield and it is over with. 24 years in the Gulf and overseas. At this point I am very, very, very, limited on any movement. Even picking up a gallon of milk. We now buy 1/2 gallons. It is that serious. I hope you haven't had any trauma like something dropped on your back or anything. If it is degenerative you will hopefully be ok. I really am not trying scare you here I just want to give you something else to go by when making your decision. Your pain factor will have the biggest effect on your decision. Ultimatley, if you are hurting bad enough then you will do anything for relief. I have gone through every one of the steps listed previously, but it is my hope that 1 will work for you, so you do not have to have surgery. I can only say what is happening and has happened to me, so as I say, the pain factor will probably be the deciding factor. If I can help in any way let me know.
Man makes plans and God smiles

thecfarm

LaneC,that is sad to hear.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LaneC

Hello thecfarm. Yeah, there are no winners in someone getting seriously hurt. I think of getting a mill and all , but I think I am dreaming. I really don't want to admit it because I have always been so active, especially with my kids but it is a fact I have to live with. I still like reading and being on this forum, because it is the cleanest, neatest forom I have ever seen, and I like working people like myself. Take care.

Magicman

Pat continues to make improvement.  Now she only has a "strange" feeling in her two smallest toes and a shoe bothers her.  Hopefully as the nerve continues to sort itself out, she will make a full recovery.

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on December 22, 2013, 04:08:35 PM
Pat continues to make improvement.  Now she only has a "strange" feeling in her two smallest toes and a shoe bothers her.  Hopefully as the nerve continues to sort itself out, she will make a full recovery.

Gotta be the bright red nail paint  ? ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LaneC

I am sure she will be fine. I am glad she is improving. For some it just gets better and better, and I hope that is the case with her. It sounds as though you are giving alot of support and that is a great thing. I wish her well.

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Magicman on December 22, 2013, 04:08:35 PM

MM, great to hear! 

Did she have a laminectomy, or something else (don't see in thread)?  That's what I had just under 3 weeks ago now, and my back feels somewhat better but still have a lot of numbness in my right foot and a little in the calf (but not so much pain as others have experienced).  Still have "foot drop"  and can't raise my foot (can push down, but not raise).  Walking very far hurts, because my foot doesn't work the way it should, and puts a lot of unusual pressure on the big toe.  But everyone says that walking is a good thing.  (Except maybe today since everything is a sheet of ice ...)

Very appreciative of anything (encouraging or otherwise ...) you're willing to share of your wife's progress, we can go to PM if you prefer.  Thanks ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

I had to go back to Reply #134 to see what the surgery was called because I certainly did not remember.   ;D
QuoteShe is scheduled for Micro Endoscopic Discectomy Tuesday morning.  This procedure will remove the bulging part of the disc that will relieve the pressure on the nerve.

doctorb

The hypersensitivity of that nerve root will subside to a new normal for her.  Her sensation may never be exactly normal, but usually the obnoxious abnormality of it fades.  Sounds to me like she's doing great.  Give her my best.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Thank you doctorb.  Your continued observations and comments have helped to keep her reassured and on track.  Yesterday was her best day yet.   :)

WmFritz

Good to hear that Pat's mending well.  8)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

clww

Yes it is good to hear she is improving. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

red

My back went out this morning while putting on my boots .  Went straight to the ER and will follow up with Orthopaedic Dr on Monday.  I had back surgery in 1998 almost the same surgery as David . 2 disc removed and BAK fusion L4-L5   L5-S1  the problem disc now is L3-L4
I have been very careful with my back and this is the third time in the past year I had to go straight to the ER. It is what it is
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

drobertson

Sorry to hear of your latest conditions, take it easy and let us know how the report goes,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

OneWithWood

Ouch!  Hope you have a speedy recovery.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!