iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Source for Phosphoric Acid or similar compound for acid dipping?

Started by LOGDOG, August 23, 2006, 06:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Hey, LOGDOG!  It just dawned on me what you said you paid a gallon.
What was/is its brand name?  That's less than I've been giving the independent, and might be worth me traveling up the road to the 'orange lettered boxstore' (since I go up there from time to time anyhow).

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

SwampDonkey

Yup, I like those rootbulbs to, only we leave them for a hard frost to sweet'n their taste. Ones in the store harvested early are tasteless like poplar wood chips. mmm  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

SwampDonkey ... I guess what I was initially wondering is whether the Phosphoric acid would "induce death" directly to say plants or animals if disposed of in diluted fashion to the ground. I'm very familiar with trout and their sensitivity. You can look at a trout wrong and they roll over on their bellies it seems. Love catching and eating them though. In that article it seems as though it were an overabundance of both life and death causing a depletion of oxygen in the water that actually was the casue of death (lack of oxygen) than say death by poison. It's a problem though in large agricultural areas where there is a lot of run off into the water shed from fields where chemical fertilizers are used.

Louisiana has to be one of the least environmentally friendly states I've ever seen though. After Katrina, the water in the streets of New Orleans was pumped back into Lake Ponchatrain. The people that had been wading through the same water had chemical burns on there legs and yet the WildLife and Fisheries folks say it's ok to eat the shrimp,fish and crabs that come out of the Lake? Hmmmm ... not me. I'll give it some time. I know the water had to go somewhere though. Perhaps there was no good solution given circumstances. ::)

Tcsmpsi ...I'll look in the morning for the name of that stuff. I think  it was Klean Strip if I remember right. We had a thunderstorm roll in otherwise I'd run out there and look. :)

DanG ...when do you put your beggas in? I think you and I are in the same hardiness zone. I've got plenty of good ground to grow some. We used to plant them up north all the time. The deer love them!!! I do too. Good in soups and pasties. Our Yooper friends can tell you about pasties. Down here they call them meatpies ...close but not quite like the pasties. I'll have to try the greens ...that will be a first for me. Deer can't get enough of them for sure.

LOGDOG

SwampDonkey

As with alot of this stuff, there is cause and effect relations. Alot of things happen in stages. Can't just look at the effect and not look back at or trace the root cause.

But, anyway the bottom line is that everyone has to be conscious of their actions. It hasn't been too many years ago that I saw farmers with the spray dripping from hoses/nozzles, streaming away from a parked sprayer along side a stream pumping water with a spray coted water hose dipped into the brook.  I also seen alot of water being pumped from a brook into a sprayer to flush it out and that flushed contaminated water run down hill into a brook or spring hole. The farmer just tossed his old emptied spray jug into a wetland or brush pile.  ::) No wonder there is hardly a brook trout left around here and I wouldn't eat any now if my life depended on it. And this has all changed in the last 20 years, but it's almost too late.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

Tcsmpsi ... I've got the name of that solution for you. It's made by "Klean Strip" and it's the "Phosphoric Prep and Etch"solution.

However, if you're looking to buy more than a gallon at a time for $13.00 a gallon I have a company here locally that sells it by the 50 gallon drum for $338.00 which is just under $7.00 a gallon. If you were going to use much over say the next year that would pay off with substantial savings. The company is Harcros Chemicals. Ask for Clay. He was the sales rep I spoke with. If we timed it right I could throw a drum in the back of my truck when I come visit. :) As long as you have your tractor or something handy to unload it.  ;)

LOGDOG

tcsmpsi

Thanks, LOGDOG.

You must be talking about those Natichoches meat pies.  A Rose by any other name.... ;D

Are you getting yourself a drum?    Hmmm...never tried, by I wonder if I bathed in it, it would take the rust out of my hair?

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

LOGDOG

Yep. I'll likely get a drum when my new shop is built. Tight on space right now but would love to have it on hand even if it is a chunk o'change to spend all at once on it. With that much though I could utilize a pretty good size dip tank.  ;)

LOGDOG

tcsmpsi

I've got a couple pretty good sized projects coming up for its use.  So, a drum or even half a drum (hint), most certainly looks pretty good.

LOGDOG

Gotcha ... thought about the half myself.  ;) Let me know when you're ready. No sense storing it until we need it right?  ;D

LOGDOG

tcsmpsi

Quote from: LOGDOG on August 28, 2006, 06:48:44 PM
No sense storing it until we need it right?  ;D

LOGDOG

That rather depends on the price stability. 

I'm ready whenever you are, and however we best need to accomplish it.  I'm adaptable (not adoptable).   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!