iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G an Alaskan Mill

Started by oldsaw, March 03, 2004, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw

How much work is it to make a smaller Alaskan mill into a longer one?  It doesn't appear like it would be a whole lot of work, just to replace the horizontal bars with longer ones.  Any unforseen tricks?

Anyone who owns one or familiar with the piece?

Tks

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Kevin

That's pretty much it.
They have a slot in them though.
The round bar would also need stretching.

Wes

Nothing to it , just a couple of new parts and your cuttin bigger logs. ;D

sawwood

Hi Oldsaw, Where you been hidding ? Sounds like you are
 still trying to git them logs cut. Will this rain will dampen
 you hopes. Will call you later about turning thoes handles.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

oldsaw

Going to get an Alaskan or build something.  I've given up on the weather.

Trying to see if Inspectorwoody sold his 24".  Going to try to call him in a few minutes.  Emailed Ralph Foster about some ripping chain.  Essentially spending the money that I would have given to Ron with a bit of change.  They are coming out board by board on my back as soon as I get this all put together.  I guess I'm back to "Plan A".  The good thing is that I can get any tree, anywhere, any time, and logistics just got simpler.  Storage isn't going to be an issue, and the wife will probably never notice another head in the stable.  I hinted at my 40th birthday present I didn't get a couple of years back.

Call me, and we will get together to make some sawdust.  Looking forward to it.  We'll have to get together with JR again sometime too.  Haven't heard from him for forever and a day either.

You think those logs would have given up by now...they are going to be boards come hell or high water...after today that is hell AND high water.  I've got a river flowing down the side of my house.  Thought I saw a Salmon swimming upstream in my driveway, but this is Missouri.

Did I ever tell you about the time I ran over a catfish?  Was a day just like today, only it was Line Creek over Waukomis Drive.  They were swimming over the road in the dark.  Made a weird thumpy/squishy sound under the tire.

Kevin

My advice on chain is ... don't buy more than one loop of each type until you find thee one that works best for you.
My experience with modified chains is the hardness gets taken out with the heat and you'll never keep it sharp.

oldsaw

Another administrator merit badge is awarded.

Thanks for the tidbit of knowledge.  I'll try one from Ralph and get one from someone else for the maiden voyage.

Oregon_Rob

QuoteMy advice on chain is ... don't buy more than one loop of each type until you find thee one that works best for you.
My experience with modified chains is the hardness gets taken out with the heat and you'll never keep it sharp.

Thats why i have bought standard chains and re-filed, not ground them to a new configuration.
Chainsaw Nerd

Kevin

oldsaw;

You can purchase factory made ripping chains .

Oregon_Rob

There's that too!

Does anyone have a line on where to get the extrusions for the mill? I have the 36" and have thought it might be nice to have the 24" at times as well.
Chainsaw Nerd

oldsaw

that makes me feel a lot better about this whole thing.  That's what I was talking about in the first place.  If anyone is going to make rip chain it will be me, so I know that the temper isn't removed.  I don't trust other people with things that can get goofed up so easily by someone who doesn't give a rip...no pun intented.

It doesn't take much to wait for a "Nick the Grinder" special at Harbor Freight and carefully do it myself, but I would rather buy a factory chain at this point and not have to worry about it this early in the game.  Once I've lost my "slabbing virginity" and have had to sharpen the chain a couple of times, then I will be in a better position to think about this.

Well, I can at least sleep tonight and not worry about factory ripping chain.

Thanks again.

Mark

Kevin

Oregon_Rob

Kevin,
No i haven't. My mind tends to think like this.
"Those rails are most likely a commericaly available extrusion that cost the extruder less than a dollar a foot. If i were Granberg, i would buy it for something like a buck a foot, but sell it for many times that. My goal would be to find it for the extrusion from a distributer at like $2 a foot."

But when i get motovaited enough, I will make some calls.

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

Kevin

I have found them very reasonable to deal with.
I ordered extra ^ guide rails for the mini mill and they were fair and friendly.

bdbob

Hi. I am new to the forum. I might have stuff .
I don't have an Alaskan mill to check the size.
What I have is one inch square aluminum
extrusions up to 16 feet long. It has a square chamber
and slotted chamber that runs the length.
I can take a pic if you want.
Roy

Kevin

Welcome to the forum Roy, it should look something like this ...

bdbob

Hi Kevin
I have been thinking about building a Alaskan type mill.
I have the plans for a ProCut sawmill but havn't started
that project yet. The aluminum that I have was for another
project. Here is a pic of a short piece that was cut off.
Roy

Kevin

It's not exactly the same but very similar.

Stan

Granberg sells extenstion kits. I think they are over priced, but there is that extrusion to find.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!