iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha catchn’?

Started by SawyerTed, April 16, 2022, 08:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Emily, Elam and I got to slip off to catch a few catfish yesterday. We didn't catch anything very big but there were plenty.  

All we caught were released including these two little guys.  

We fish Badin Lake with some regularity.  
br>

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

While visions of hushpuppies danced in their heads... :D

I'd have sure taken a few of those home for dinner. digin_2

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

Nice fishes.  We will be going to Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas next weekend.  I expect that we will catch white bass, largemouth, smallmouth and maybe a walleye.  At least I hope we will catch something.  Until next weekend its just a fish story.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 16, 2022, 09:17:52 AM
  While visions of hushpuppies danced in their heads... :D

I'd have sure taken a few of those home for dinner. digin_2

Those were ideal eating size but we have plenty in the freezer right now.  

Going to the coast next week so I might need to save a little space for those fish too!  :)

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Poquo

Caught some Crappie the other day.

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

newoodguy78

That's some tasty fillets right there. 

Southside

Yes they were.... Have kiln do trade services to Poquo for fish.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

It is hard to find fish better to eat than crappie!  That's a nice cooler full!

jb616

Leaving in a week for Detroit River Walleye. Best fishing of the year. Definitely a World Class Fishery in the spring. 

SawyerTed

Whiting! Or Kingfish, Mullet or Virginia Mullet depending upon where you're from :o :D :o :D :D
br>

Old Greenhorn

Forget the fish, I am jealous of the shorts and flip-flops!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

It was about 70° or so with a cool SE breeze about 10 or 12 mph.  The sun was quite bright all day.  

Fishing was slow until about 3:30.  Then we hit them pretty good!

Poquo

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

SawyerTed

Sight casting for crocs!

We caught Spanish Mackerel, Bluefish and Mullet along with a mixed bag of pinfish, sea bass, and puffers too small to keep. 

We kept two Spanish for supper tomorrow night. 

Poquo

Caught another mess of Crappie and some Largemouth Bass.

Noticed this on edge of the pond, I think it's a Praying Mantis nest.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

WDH

Those whiting are among the most tasty fish.  For their size, they hit hard and fight like a Bulldog.  I prefer catching them than most other species out of the surf.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

Fun to catch, relatively easy to catch, plentiful and good to eat!  What's not to like about whiting besides the bones?  They are like crappies of the sea!

jb616

Got my Turkey and "The other White Meat" Walleye this weekend. Bird had 11 1/2" beard and limit of walleye in 3 hours for 4 guys 3 days in a row.  Mission accomplished, freezer is full.

snobdds

I really don't fish, but I will go to the mountain streams by the cabin.  She has been bugging me for years to take her fishing...so I did.  She was so proud of herself.  8)

SawyerTed

@jb616  Awesome catching! And an awesome bird!  Did you buy a lottery ticket?  If you did, can I be your new best friend! :D :D

@snobdds   Way to put her on the fish!  

There's no one else I'd rather fish with than Emily.  She fishes with me often and has become quite serious.  She remembers going fishing with her Grandma.  Turns out that side of her family is full of fishing women including my two daughters!  

caveman

I haven't fished for whiting in years but back when I was a kid, before they started pumping sand from offshore in to renourish the beaches, we would dig sandfleas where the surf crashed on the beach and use them on gold hooks tied to light line on a cane pole.  Sandfleas are tough to find on a lot of beaches these days.  They were fun to catch and good to eat (whiting-Beenthere).  To me, they resemble a redfish (red drum) without the spot.  I think we used to also catch them on a Doc's Goofy Jig, which also works well for pompano.
Caveman

beenthere

QuoteSandfleas are tough to find on a lot of beaches these days.  They were fun to catch and good to eat. 

For a hot second I thought you were eating the sand fleas.  :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

You would if you had to. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

Sand fleas do make good bait for whiting and pompano.  We will sort through a hundred to find the 10 or 15 soft shell sand fleas.  

WDH

Never had any luck with the hard shelled ones.  Never looked for any soft shelled ones, but I will now. 

Thank You Sponsors!