iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CDL How dose it all work overthere

Started by Meadows Miller, January 27, 2011, 06:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im looking to get My CDL whilst i am in the states and would be planing on  operating My own truck down the track there  just an old Pete or KW pulling a bogie trailer and would just like to know some of the requirements and restrictions and costs I would have to allow for as I would plan on operating pretty much anywhere overthere hauling my own gear, logs and  timber. and would just like to know how things work there in regards to it all as I know you have a pretty segmented rego system ect an would like alittle clearer picture on how it all comes together overthere  ??? ??? ;)

Thank's

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ely

well, that is definately a can of worms to open. cdl's are prettymuch universal here thru out the states, but the regulations vary widely from state to state. and the enforcement of those laws vary even more so.

imo opinion not getting into trouble with the DOT is just a crapshoot at best.
you could tow the line to the best of your ability and not get in trouble ever, but then you may get fined each day you drive . :-\

Meadows Miller

I though I would be opening up a can of worms  and know what your saying in your last line Mate  ;) asfar as rego goes will I be able to run on my home state rego where I would have the mill running or will i have to do it  for each state im running through on a regular basis if im crossing state lines all the time delivering timber   ;) ??? or is that another thing that comes down to the  DOT  and the cop I get on the day  ???

ely

that would be a question for some of the others on the forum. i live in okla. and the laws are here but i get by with about anything i want to do.... until they read this ;D.

i do feel the laws are more enforced in some states than they are here.

there are folks here that get by without cdl licenseing.... but i would not try it.

sandhills

I'm not a trucker so anyone else can chime in and correct all the misinformation I give here.  If you get your cdl here it's nationwide, however anytime my bil hauls things over state lines he has to buy trip permits (I think that's what he calls them) for each state he passes through.  There are also certain states (maybe all of them) that he keeps track of mileage in, has something to do with fuel tax I believe, they all want their money.  Here in Nebraska it's generally not too bad if you're at least trying to be legal, other states aren't that easy going.  We have a grain elevator here in town that DOT sets up in front of quite a bit, the only time I was pulled in I was in my little straight truck, had I been in the old Freightliner I'd probably just handed him the keys and walked away :D.

jdtuttle

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/cdl.htm
This is NY state requirements for CDL. I've been thinking about getting mine too.
Good Luck,
jim
Have a great day

weimedog

Lot of the info above is correct. Getting a CDL isn't really a terrible issue. You will need to have access to a truck for your road test in the class you expect to drive and are looking to get for a CDL..ie Class B might be a tandem axle dump truck, class A a tractor trailer, etc. Also make certain that truck has air brakes or you will get a CDL without Air Brakes etc. It turns in to more of a hassle when you get the Hazmat endorsement as that's certainly a tougher test. Like was posted, reads the regulations..they have changed this last couple of years. We have to get our Hazmat & tank endorsements where I work and along with all that & the last "renewal's" was the requirement for finger prints and back ground checks...had to get started around 2 months before my old license ran out for the back ground check. It took 7 weeks! (I did a lot of..ahem...over seas travel in another life and I'm certain it made that more complex). Bottom line is go to the DMV in the state you plan to run your truck, have them give you the relevant info.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Doc Hickory

Get your CDL in the state you reside in, it's valid in all states.  Your rig is another matter...your license plates will also be in your home state. You can get registered to run in as many states as you need when you get your plates. The new system is called UCRA (I think that stands for Uniform Carrier Registration Authority or some such horse whiz.) You'll need to keep track of miles ran in each state for fuel tax reporting. I used a service to do mine when I had my own authority, and it worked out good for me. You don't need authority to haul your own product. A really good source for basic contact information regarding CDL, licensing, and required authorities can be found in the front of the Rand-McNallt Trucker's Atlas, costs a whole $10.00 at most truckstops. Make sure it's the truckers atlas, not the skinnier 4-wheeler version. It's about 30 pages of contact info, weight limits, low bridges, restricted routes, everything but how to turn a profit and get a good back scratching.  My experience over 32 years of trucking is that the cops aren't all that bad, just they like to work where they can get a lot of return for their time investment. That means they're much more active in the scale houses (go figure), entrances to pulp mills or log yards, and they love working over dump trucks and grain trailers. The company I drive for now had an Aussie driving for them and he didn't seem to have any special problems. He was a great guy, I could listen to him spin yarns all day! Welcome over to the USA, land of fruits and nuts!
Feed a fire, starve a termite...

snowstorm

look up csa2010 if that dosent scare you...i have a nice star car ill sell you

b dukes

bama20a

Quote from: snowstorm on January 27, 2011, 03:01:57 PM
look up csa2010 if that dosent scare you...i have a nice star car ill sell you
You are right about that. :o  I'm an over the road driver & have been for a long time(to long),According to the American Truckers Asso,When they start enforcing the new law there will be around 250000 driver's out of a job, As I said I've been in it a long time & never had a moving ticket,I've had 2 tickets because of log books,The last one, I was 15mins off on my time,They put me out of service for 8 hours & the fine was $177.00 But the worst of it is 70 some odd points against my CDL,The next time I'll be out of a job. >:(
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

redbeard

Washington's CDL license is expensive 6 week truck school 3500.00 for a B and 5000.00 for a A license new law took effect Jan.09. Any truck over 24,500 or 26,000 GVW (I have to look up exact weight)you need a CDL there trying to lower it to 16,000 which is going to be a real can of worms. I have heard you can get hrs. documented through your employer and test for CDL without having to do the school.But thats a slippery slope. Its 1700.00 fine driving without a CDL in Washington.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Carpenter

I've got a CDL in Nebraska.  It cost $50 the same as a regular drivers liscense.  Four written tests and the driving test.  That's for a standard class A with air brakes.  You'll have to get a physical card as well, trip to the doctor.  Insurance for your own rig.  And, I have no idea what it would entail to get a liscense for a non resident.  I'm sure there are a few more hoops to jump through.
     What part of the US are you headed for?  If you said in another thread I missed it.  Good luck.  If you're ever in Nebraska stop by.

Bobus2003

In South Dakota.. I had 4 tests, the Class A was $15, then each endorsment $5 bucks each, (Air Brakes, Doubles/Triples, and Tank) then I had the Driving test $85.. then the med card from the doctor if your a interstate driver.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thanks for the info and sorry to keep you all waiting on a reply  ;)
With my history I have done abit of HC (Heavy combination) driving since I was 18yo and know my way around a truck even though I have only done about 50000mi total though both as a driver under instruction and about 20% of that was solo  winging it without ;)  ;D with My driving history I have had more than afew speeding fines about 6 and one mid range dui when i was young n dumb  :) ::) ::) but have had a clean slate for about 5 years now  and have been keeping my nose clean as far as my license is concerned  ;) it has been one of the reasons I have hesitated taking the tests and made excuses not to get it which I regret  the things i did when i came of the rails for afew years there that and the fact that its costs $1200 to $3500 to get it  ::) :(

I have been told though by the two old drivers I have done most of my driving with over the years that I am one of the best they have taught and had driving with them even though I use to be just alittle too aggesive in my driving style when I first started "WHO Me" ;) :D :D  I think getting the ticket will be the easy part as far as the practical tests are concerned  ;) ;D  but with the dui I know might cause issues  ::) and Insurance will be steep and it will most likely be 3rd party fire and theft and load coverage hence the older truck  ;)

Rules are there for the safety of yourself others and I dont mind abiding by whatever laws and rules are set out  ;) ;D

With Aussie drivers working in the States and there is afew of them they generally get a (HC) Heavy combination or (MC) Multi combination ticket here then go for a test to get their international license before getting there  ;) Dad had a young bloke years ago carting logs and timber here that went over for a 6 month stint of driving in the early 90s  he met a girl and now has a fleet of 8 or 10 trucks there and 4 or five here and moves between living there and here to this day  ;) ;D

Where will I be setting up camp Im not too sure yet   ??? :P  :D :)  it looks as though I have it narrowed down to two areas in general which is the Southeast from eastern Ms through to Ga or the north east from Or through to Mi if Im in the north I would be going after Bug kill salvage and producing pallet and export cants  and If Im in the south I would be aiming to saw a mix of building timber and pallet material to even things out are my main thoughts as I am already in discussions with a couple of large companies in the States mainly pallet companies wanting cants and cut to size stock and I also have a Chinese company chasing me to supply pine industrial grade cants at about $0.50 cents a bft ex mill for their own use  ;) But I would rather just have a small operation where it myself and afew good blokes working for me doing 10 to 40mbft  a week ;) ;D 8) 8) You never know where I may decide to set up shop as I migh get to one place and say well I Like This  Area you never know   :) ;) ;D ;D

I will be over there for 4 months starting in July for abit of work and play and am working on the visas to do that and to finalize my game plan whilst I am there as I will be covering most of the United States so there is a good chance ill be coming through most places and could visit  ;) then I would come home to arrange things and sort out my final visa I would be coming over on a Entrepreneurs Visa with the requirement that I have the funds (which will come from the construction and sale of a house here  ;)) and that I create my own employment and create jobs for Americans  ;)  ;D

This is something I have wanted to do since I was young as far as living and working in the United States of America and I will be turning 30yo in 4 weeks so it is time to get things into gear and Just Do It  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)  as I think it would be something that if I leave it too long it may never happen just be another what iff  in life  :( :) ::) ???

Crarpenter no I have not started a thread on this yet but I am planing on starting one once afew things are finalized Mate  ;)with the planing for the first trip which is going to include the pig roast and another few things that are happening over there Mate  ;)  ;D 8) with your operation I read a while ago that you where looking for someone with Building, timber frame and sawmilling experience who might be interested joining your operation I was interested  ;) ;D how did you go with finding someone  ??  

Snowstorm If its a Heritage cab 48 or 4900 series  ???  I might just be interested Mate  ;) as I have a soft spot for them due to the fact my grandfather had 88mod 4900 called "Babe"  ;D  the Blue OX  ;) that he had from 88 to 92 Mate my Uncle and he use to drive it on a twice daily 400mi round trip carting logs and it also did the mill deliveries that truck rarely stopped for the 4 years they had it  ;)  ;D 8)

Regards Chris

snowstorm

4900fa...500 detriot..........with a dui good luck finding a job that is the worst thing you can have.

Carpenter

Quote from: Meadows Miller on January 30, 2011, 02:50:17 AM

Crarpenter no I have not started a thread on this yet but I am planing on starting one once afew things are finalized Mate  ;)with the planing for the first trip which is going to include the pig roast and another few things that are happening over there Mate  ;)  ;D 8) with your operation I read a while ago that you where looking for someone with Building, timber frame and sawmilling experience who might be interested joining your operation I was interested  ;) ;D how did you go with finding someone  ??  

I'm actually still looking.  Glad to see you're interested.  I'm not doing anything too exciting at the moment though.  Had a lot of interest in timberframes and cabins but no takers yet.  I feel it is coming though.  I think I'm going to have to build a few small structures and donate them to the state parks to hopefully get the ball rolling on that. 

Meadows Miller

Gday

Quote from: snowstorm on January 30, 2011, 08:04:31 AM
4900fa...500 detriot..........with a dui good luck finding a job that is the worst thing you can have.

Theres nothing Like a Series 60 but i still reckon an 8v92tta is the best sounding motor I have driven  ;) they sound almost better than sex Mate  ;) :D ;D   I know the dui will cause dramas and make afew things more costly but nobodies perfect but I do not realy  intend on doing any contract or subbie work for any company My truck would prob be too Old for them to want to hire me  :)  ;) :D :D  ill either just unload and do the bolt home empty  ;) or pick up some logs on the way back something different than what i would usually be sawing ifn its a long way  ;) my main thinking is if you have to be hunting around for a back load you are not charging enough in the first place  ;) The truck will be more of a conveniance  ;) ;D

Carpenter The only thing that worried me a little was how cold it gets up your way Mate :o :o   ;) :D :D we just started doing stuff for the local council  we finnished our first 22'x40' picnic area and im sure there will be more to come as budgets allow  ;) ;D 8) If you decide to donate afew to the state parks What we do on anything public is to get afew brass plaques made up with you business name date of build and a contact number that way anyone who takes a liking to your work has a way of getting hold of you Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris

b dukes

I think they only look at the last five years on the MVR   ???

snowstorm

this is how it works. lets say you want a job driving a truck you apply at abc trucking. after interview they run your driving record and then a dack report. which is a history book of who you have worked for in the past. anything and everything you did rite or wrong. not all companys report to dack but all the big ones do. i always ran one before hirring a driver. anyone with an oui ....wouldnt even consider you cant..insurance co wouldnt touch them

Kansas

We had a guy that worked for us that had a CDL. He got a few dui's.. He was still serving weekends in jail when he worked for us.  He swore he was able to keep his CDL, that he had to pay huge fines to do it. I didn't believe him until he quit and about a year later bought a semi and started hauling grain. Might be the best thing to do is check with a lawyer. At least it is 5 years old. That might help.

Thank You Sponsors!