iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new / old Stihl 026

Started by TessiersFarm, March 29, 2009, 08:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessiersFarm

I posted here before about an old 026 I have hed for years.  I tried to trade it a few years ago and was told it had low compression and was not woth anything, at a dealer I know and trusted.  Over the past year or two it has lost power and started to run a little rough.  I was looking to replace it and a friend of my fathers suggested rebuilding it.  Long story longer, I tore it down this weekend and found two things.  The cylinder and piston were in great shape, the rings had a little too much end gap, otherwise great shape internally.  The power loss and rough running was totally my fault (dirty Air Filter).  I have ordered new gaskets and piston rings and for under $30.00 I have a great saw that I like.  The other thing I found out is that the dealership was a little off base on their acessment of the saws condition.  I have been less than happy the last few times I have dealt with them, maybe time to look elsewhere.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

fishpharmer

Good for you TFarm.  I just love it when I can fix something myself and save a little.  You would like to think some dealers are tellin you strait.  Always pays to get a second opinion if you can.  Let us know how it runs when back together.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sawmilllawyer

Just remember they are "sales people" and want you to want that shiney new SAW. On the other hand I would have rebuilt the saw too or at least tore it down enough to determine if I wanted to rebuild or buy a new (maybe) better, saw. Seems like you took the right path for you and saved some coin. Good on you.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Ironmower

AIr filters are everything, ain't they eh eh Just rebuilt my 026 back in Dec. I went to our stihl dealer for my parts WOW! :o The factory replacement rings are outa sight. I paid almost $40.00 for the rings & about that for an airfilter too! Wish I'd ordered some from baileys instead, the saw runs like new now ;) :)................Why does the dealers or stihl sell their piston rings seperately >:(?........ I believe the "fancy" little boxes cost more to make than the rings :D. I don't think they like people repairin' their own stuff. That dealer ain't gettin' anymore of my money ;D  Just like everything else you're payin' for the name ::) >:( ............Good luck with your rebuild & happy sawin' ;D
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

TessiersFarm

The worse part of the deal was I bought the new 036 anyway, I never did regret that.  I just kept the 026 as a "backup".  5 years later its still running and after this rebuild I will more than likely use it as much as the new one.  Interestingly enough the 036 was supposed to replace the 026, it only made me realize I needed 4 saws instead of 1.  Since I have bought a 180 which my father loves and I do for certain things and I am currently trying to buy a used 440.  Oh yeah I bought another 361 somewhere in there too.  Just like guns though I tell my wife its an investment, it would be crazy to get rid of them now.
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Adam_MA

Quote from: TessiersFarm on March 31, 2009, 08:10:40 PM
Just like guns though I tell my wife its an investment, it would be crazy to get rid of them now.

When someone asks me how many guns I own, I tell them 1 more than I need but 2 less than I want. Those numbers never change!

Nice to see someone from Skowhegan, most of my family is from there.

John Woodworth

I have a 026 that I use for small tasks and mainly carry in the back of the skidder to bump knots, have had it for at least 8 years now with no problems at all, a wonderful saw.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

brdmkr

I have an 026 that I have had since 1995 or 96.  It has never given a lick of trouble.  Great saw.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

TessiersFarm

Just a little update the 026 is back in service and as strong as ever before.  $30 total investment, not bad.
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

sawmilllawyer

Sounds like a good deal. 8)
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!