iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need recommendation on a Dolmar 5100 saw mod.

Started by tbrickner, May 09, 2009, 09:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrickner

Hi Folks,

I live in Elkton Maryland and wanted to know who does chainsaw muffler mods in the area.  Or where to search for a good chainsaw shop I can send my 5100 to to get it modded.

Thanks,
Tom

tbrickner

Is there any place you can get a Dolmar 5100 saw modified even outside of Maryland.  Let me know If there is a place I can ship my saw to.

Thanks.

ladylake

I don't think a muffler mod is going to gain a lot on a 5100s as they're tuned real good from the factory. If your going to mod it anyway you can do it your self, not much to it, also make sure the high is not set to lean. If it is too lean you'll find more power setting it a little richer. I just got a new Echo that was set way lean, cut times went from 15 seconds to 9 seconds just by setting the high richer.  This saw has a rev limiter that fooled me at first into thinking it was set rich enough.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

RSteiner

Quote from: ladylake on May 12, 2009, 05:12:19 AM
I don't think a muffler mod is going to gain a lot on a 5100s as they're tuned real good from the factory. If your going to mod it anyway you can do it your self, not much to it, also make sure the high is not set to lean. If it is too lean you'll find more power setting it a little richer. I just got a new Echo that was set way lean, cut times went from 15 seconds to 9 seconds just by setting the high richer.  This saw has a rev limiter that fooled me at first into thinking it was set rich enough.   Steve

Steve

I thought the carb adjusting screws were made so they couldn't be readjusted on the 5100.   What does one need and have to do to make sure the saw is not running too lean?

Randy
Randy

ladylake

Yes, all new saws have limiter caps on them so they can't be adjusted richer but sometimes they won't even run at the factory settings due to temp and ethonal gas and you need to pull the caps and readjust .Most are set to lean from the factory and might burn up in a long hard cut. If you mod the muffler that most times requires more fuel also.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

GASoline71

A dealer prolly isn't goin' to do any mods for you... since it voids the warranty. 

You will have to get creative and do it yourself.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Cut4fun

5100 and 7900 respond real well to muffler mods. Cut the tabs on the limiters and readjust your carb. You will be happy you did it  8).

ladylake

Quote from: Cut4fun on May 12, 2009, 12:46:52 PM
5100 and 7900 respond real well to muffler mods. Cut the tabs on the limiters and readjust your carb. You will be happy you did it  8).

The way those saws run from the factory i wouldn't have thought they would have left much to gain in the muffler, nice to hear from someone who has done it. How hard is it to cut the tabs on Dolmars, on Echo's they have to be pulled out to do it.   Steve

tbrickner

So it sounds like, a general pull the tabs and adjust the tuning is all that is needed to get better results out of the 5100 or 7900.  Does this due the trick without a muffler mod.  It sounds like modifying anything else on this saw would cost more money than it is worth.

Any thoughts.

Tom

ladylake

It depends on how it was set to start with, lots of new saws are set to lean to get by EPA emisions. You might gain some power with more fuel if yours is set on the lean side, it depends on fuel, temp and elevation. It's nice to know you have saws adjusted right and not on the edge of burning up. Sounds like cutforfun has had good results with a muffler mod on the 5100s.   Steve

pallis

The carb on the 5100 is a bear to take apart, but it is worth the effort.  Find someone who can uncrimp it, and open it up.  Adjust the jets accordingly. 

Cut4fun

Quote from: pallis on May 14, 2009, 01:00:16 PM
The carb on the 5100 is a bear to take apart, but it is worth the effort.  Find someone who can uncrimp it, and open it up.  Adjust the jets accordingly. 

Is that 5100 with the muffler mod  ;), that came from my area, that was sent to you I believe still ripping.

pallis

"Is that 5100 with the muffler mod  ;), that came from my area, that was sent to you I believe still ripping."

Still screaming!  It's an amazing saw.  I've never run a stock 5100, but considering how this one runs with the muffler opened up, I bet a stock saw would see an improvement.

MakitaCS

I ported and muffler modded mine, and it pulls an 8 pin with ease. It wasn't easy bogging it in seasoned canyon oak.

I read stock compression is 180-190psi. So that's where most of the power comes from. And those kick ass Mahle cylinders get the job done.

Would be nice to jump to 205psi and install a decomp valve from a 6401 if that was possible.

C-TOWN13
CHEVYTOWN13

Thank You Sponsors!