iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lesson learned

Started by Quartlow, December 30, 2005, 04:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

Went up in the woods today to clean up some more and aquire firewood. Been cleeaning up the tops from a logging operation of way past and cutting out the dead stuff. Found a cherry about 16 inches or so in diameter. Eyeballed the situation and decided since it was dead I would just give her a push with the dozer.  ;) Well it it really didn't have anywhere to fall and it got hung up in another tree. Not a problem right? I mean we have chains and a dozer.  ;D Cut to dead ash trees , drug them over buy the cherry hooked on to it down low and gave a tug and away we go. Only thing was the biottom hung up and I pulled it over, on top of the ROPS  :o :o Didnt hit very hard only scratched the paint.  ::) So here I sit the chain is holding the bottom down adn the top is hanging out in the wind so to speak. If it wasn't for the tight area I could have hauled it out that way.

Now how did I get it off? Well it was almost up against another tree I just spun it sideways and drove out from under it. .

Oh yeah the lesson learned? Look back once in a while when your pulling a tree out
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

farmerdoug

Quartlow,  I am glad that you did not get hurt either.  Good thing you have a ROPS on your dozer, fer shure. :o

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ed_K

Sometimes you don't have time for corrections,even when you are looking back. I pulled a 20" softmaple that was hung up in a hemlock on a sidehill.
Put a chocker on it, hook to the cable, had about 10' played out and took off. It came down real fast, right down the hill,up under the skidder and took the back wheels off the ground, thought it was going to tip the skidder over, it was give it full throttle and get out of there  :-[.
Ed K

asy

Darned good thing ROPS Doesn't now stand for   Real Ornery Pushed-in Skull...

Be careful out there!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Flyboy

::) It can happen pushin on em too. I had a D8 H and was pushin on this old dead pine, bout 3' on the stump, in soft sand and the dang tree just wouldn't give up. Backed up a little, 2nd gear to give her a bit of a bump. Bumped it all right, tree broke off about 20' from the top and come a crashin down on my hood ($1700. if we'd got a new one) Smashed the Muffler and Stack (we had a used one) and cost me a pair of drawers :'(
I don't do that no moe ::)
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

Cedarman

Quite a few years ago, I was at the neighbors house and I could see where he had pulled some logs out of the woods with a pretty good sized tractor with a cab and a smashed back window.  I asked how he got that window busted.  He said he was pulling a 10 foot log out the skid road when the log hit a stump and caught.  The front of the log stopped, the back end came flying up forward and into the back window. 

Moral, never drive fast when pulling short lengths, or always keep the front of the log in the air.  Also keep a heavy amount of protection at your rear in case something comes flying at you from behind.

Also never let anyone stand by a skid road while you pull logs.  They can make things go whoosh in the nearby woods.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

thecfarm

Can't say I ever heard of that before,Cedarman.Had to read it a couple time to make me understand what you meant.That must of been some scary.A good way to get killed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedarman

About 6 months ago there was a 4" by 8' cedar log laying perpendicular to the driveway.  Went by it with a tractor with a front end loader.  Not going fast at all.  Steered to miss the log but the out side edge of the front tire caught the end of the log and flipped it up in the air.  It came down in front of the big rear wheel.  One end of the log landed on my foot which was on the clutch pedal.  The rear wheel forced the log down on my foot.  This log had one end digging into the ground one end breaking off the clutch pedal, shearing off the kill cable knob and pinning my foot to the floor.  Luckily, the tractor died when I hit the brake and lowered the RPM's.  I knew for a fact my foot or leg was broke, but came out of it with only a slight bruise.  One of those freak accidents.  One of those accidents that are totally preventable, by 1) keeping things where they need to be.  2) Never let your tires hit the ends of logs.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Quartlow

Yeah Fly boy, i learned that lesson long ago, ya don't bump trees  :D

Oh well no one was hurt the dozer escaped unscathed so it was a good day. The ironic part was I was thinking earlier that I didn't have my cell phone on me, could be a bad thing if I got in trouble.  ::)

Oh well figured since no one was hurt you guys could point and laugh at me  :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

boboak

When I first started working in the woods an old side-rod told me "They're ain't no original mistakes...its almost impossible to make a mistake that somebody before hasn't made...even if they won't 'fess up."  You came close but not quite an original...glad you didn't get dinged up and that you learned from it  If I learned from all my mistakes over the years I'd probably have a PHD in screw-ups. ::)
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

woodbowl

Before I converted my mill to hydraulics, turning a 30" log was a real chore. Leaning back 45 degrees and snatching a cant hook with both feet planted on the log was common. I found out that a cant hook needs to be good and sharp if it's going to hold very well. To make a short story even shorter, I reared back with all I had, the hook slipped and I was sent flying. I landed on the slab pile about 10' away and flat on my back. The lesson learned was, make sure you keep a sharp hook or a soft place to land.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

RSteiner

Glad to hear you are able to share this event and did not end up a hurt or worse.

I remember years ago hearing Soren Ericson tell a group of us at one of his sessions that this very thing could happen, some doubted because it never happened to them or any one they knew.

Seems that others have had or seen a similar thing happen.  Maybe we can all learn from your experience.  :P

Randy
Randy

sawguy21

Woodbowl, one saving grace is that you did not rap yourself between the eyes with the handle.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Quartlow

your right in it could have been worse, it wasn't so very long ago we had a thread where a man got crushed in an excavator when a tree fell on the cab.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

woodbowl

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 03, 2006, 08:22:43 AM
Woodbowl, one saving grace is that you did not rap yourself between the eyes with the handle.
  I didn't do it that day.   But I have done it, and it front of a customer! ... DanG that's embarrassing and hurts like the dickens too. I don't know which one is the worse.   
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

OneWithWood

This morning's paper had a story of a man who died yesterday when a tree fell back onto the cab of his excavator. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

..and we have a story in "Health and Safety" of a fellow who died when a tree fell on his excavator.  It must be a lot more common than one would think.

Actually I've found it was on the General Board.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10277.msg140234#msg140234

OneWithWood

Do the cabs on excavators lack a beefy ROPS system?  I have never operated one so I don't know.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

I've seen ROPS on some of the smaller excavators, but, now that you mention it, don't remember ROPS being a popular item on the larger machines.  There is some bulk in the design of the cab but nothing like you would find on a most bulldozers and tactors.   

Owners of the machines that are envolved in land clearing rather than just digging will usually put cages around the operator.  I don't know if they reinforce the structure for rollover protection or not. 

That's a good question for a manufacturer.

Ianab

QuoteDo the cabs on excavators lack a beefy ROPS system?  I have never operated one so I don't know.

As standard they just have a cab with a light frame, not enough protection for a falling tree or serious rollover.
To be used for forestry the digger should be 'bush rigged' with a full roll-over and falling object frame. Usually looks like a Gorilla cage around the cab  :D

Saves a lot of lives and prevents a lot of damage to the standard cab from branches and assorted debris.

Couple of years ago a local contractor was building tracks near here prior to a pine plantation being planted. He was working near the top of the ridge in a fairly big excavator and the ground gave way. The digger rolled about 300ft into a gully and as far as I know it's still there, although there was talk of salvaging parts with a helicopter. He was wearing a seatbelt and had only minor injuries, he walked out by himself.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!