iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Wow, how do you find sassafras trees like that  ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And since he did not quite have enough, he said the log that he left at home was even larger.   :)

That was some beautiful lumber.  He is taking it to the kiln guy for drying, planing, and T&G.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

Those are some nice sassafras, logs like that are few and far between around here.   
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

New Brunswick

I never heard that name before Sassafras, I had to google it, they are quite the tree in regards to their job in nature and what they can be used for. Oil from the bark is used to flavor rootbeer, tea and also perfume soap....learn something new every day! They are really nice looking logs MM.

WDH

The big ones are extinct around here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

We had one old Sassafras that was well over 3' at an old share cropper house site when I was growing up.  It is long since gone and I doubt that I have a Sassafras over 12" on the place.

This customer says that there are many large ones where he lives which is in the Bogue Chitto River Basin.  I hope that he brings the "larger" log for me to saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

No doubt them are some very nice sassafras  logs,  I've only sawed a few, but really like it, the smell and the way is saws.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

The customer carried home a bag of sawdust. :)  Since this was one of the very few times that the logs were brought to me, I guess that the slabs will be firewood.

Peter Drouin

The last job on the road :D :D :D :D I hope

The bark was coming off and was everywhere. You know how much fun it is when it gets under every cant.
And if you peel it off, The logs are like ice and slide all over, I walked on some bark slipped and fell, Like walking on ice.
No John Deere :(
Every log had limbs 6" long that had to be cut off so they would role ::)

But it is over, I'm home with work coming in.

First of 3 maybe 4 loads. Cutting out a timber frame sugar house  8) 8) 8)

All the bark is on :D 8) No slippery logs no bugs, All the limbs are flush . And John is here Customers coming Fryday Sat and Sunday to pick up lumber. 8) 8)

Maybe I can get to my cherry logs too. 8) 8) 8)

A long day cutting wood smiley_sweat_drop

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

It's nice to see you settled back in Peter and I know that you are happy. :) But of course what you are leaving is my normal.   ::)

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2014, 11:00:25 PM
It's nice to see you settled back in Peter and I know that you are happy. :) But of course what you are leaving is my normal.   ::)

I did it for a lot of years, But I think you like the travelling more than I do.  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Home is a good place to be.
I noticed those logs looked old. The limbs made it that much harder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I often tell a customer that if he had taken one step closer to the log, he would have gotten the limb sawed off.  I say it in a joking manner, but I am serious.  That prompts them to grab their saw and start trimming.  Some folks just do not know.

drobertson

Excessive nubs makes me rub my head, and mumble under my breath ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Got Nubs?   ???   ::)

backwoods sawyer

MM at least the customer had taken one step closer to the nubs as they are no longer limbs :D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

More Cherry 8)

Another load.
The boys are busy.

Logs all over :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Would you guys call this cherry burls or just a mess? :D :D :D

I'm going to make a $300 bench out of this :D :D :D

With sweep, The (I) on the end is to remind me of Iron in it :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Oh, you would remember when you heard that sound.   :o   :D

mikeb1079

peter you sure get some nice w pine   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

woodyone.john

I thought the [ I ] was so you remember that it needed ironing to keep it flat :)
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Peter Drouin

Another load,

I don't like scaling W Pine. What a mess, I wonder if I clean the stick the numbers will come off  :D :D :D :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

What a sticky mess you have there!

thecfarm

I betcha in a month it won't do that.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!