iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Dave,

That rascal looks pretty clear, too. Nice!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

The first 25 or 30 feet are spotless. Hard to salvage side lumber from from wo. The cant moves so much you can't get boards of a consistent thickness, and you have to take a lot of thin cuts to get a straight timber.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

well tell the cant to stop moving then!
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

White oak is the Chuck Norris of trees. You don't tell it what to do. It tells you what to do. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YoungStump

White oak might be Chuck Norris but hickory is still the devil, been fighting these self destructing things the last while, nothing like watching a beautiful butt log turn into split firewood before your eyes.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

WDH

I hate it when that happens. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YoungStump

Yeah yesterday didn't go so well, as if the hickory wasn't aggravating enough I had to run into a couple logs full of nails.

Think I broke my personal best sawed thru 15 nails on this cut.  >:(
Thankfully today went much better.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

WDH

It does not get any worse than hickory with nails  :).

Magicman

The fact that you were able to make it through 15 nails without the blade diving is a miracle in itself.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

I know one thing. Fresh fell oak, sawed 2x8x14' are very heavy to off load, stack and sticker. I think I will just fell enough oak trees, stack them for a couple weeks to dry somewhat. Besides the 100F temp didn't help at all.

beenthere

ff
Hate to tell ya, but they won't change much weight in a couple weeks. Just as well saw 'em up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

47sawdust

beenthere,
I just finished sawing 2k bf of 2 year old red oak.Still wet,still heavy.
Now I'm sawing white cedar and feel much younger.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

fishfighter

Quote from: beenthere on August 07, 2015, 07:29:38 PM
ff
Hate to tell ya, but they won't change much weight in a couple weeks. Just as well saw 'em up.

Knew that, but just trying to talk myself out of sawing anything in this heat. ;D

Firewood cutting tomorrow. I have oak tops down everywhere and hate to see them go to waste. At $240 a cord of oak, it's a go.

OneWithWood

note to self:  raise price on wo firewood.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

5quarter

Quote from: YoungStump on August 06, 2015, 09:36:43 PM
Yeah yesterday didn't go so well, as if the hickory wasn't aggravating enough I had to run into a couple logs full of nails....

sometimes yer da windshield, sometimes yer da bug.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Peter Drouin

Ross teases me with a wide head  :D

Nice day in VT 8)
Guard here too ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Looks like it was a fun day,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

Oh boy I bet you could hardly resist the temptation of bringing that wide head home to replace your super!

Looks like a good day in the NEK
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Fair days are fun days.  I believe that Ross is just showing off.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Will see If I can get a deal on the 15 wide head at the last fair. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

I was sharpening some new blades and found some turbos in a box of reg. 7
I put red ink on them so I can see if I have the CBN wheel set right.
But I found that my CBM did not go to the bottom of the gullet.

Can you see the red at the bottom?
Turbos are deeper. They will be Reg 7s when I am done in 4 or 5 sharpening. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

You prefer regular 7 over the Turbo 7? I really like the deep gullet on the Turbo. I just ordered a box of .055 Turbo's for my mill. We run .045 at work, but I like .055 better.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 24, 2015, 07:41:52 AM
You prefer regular 7 over the Turbo 7? I really like the deep gullet on the Turbo. I just ordered a box of .055 Turbo's for my mill. We run .045 at work, but I like .055 better.

I like the 55 too. But when I buy reg 7 I want 7 not turbo 7.
When my CBN wheel is done , Maybe I'll get a turbo CBN.
I like to run one kind of blade and one kind of CBN wheel at a time. ;D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Customer  picking up some lumber.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

deadfall

Wheel, Steering, olive drab, 1 ea.

Does not even look used.