iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dad's Flag Case

Started by doc henderson, May 07, 2024, 12:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Getting ready to build this for my Dad's flag given to my Mom at his military funeral.  I have a dozen small pieces of walnut, from a stack dad bought at an auction for ten bucks, not knowing what it was.  We went to the high school and planed it after school when I was in wood shop.  It has made a few projects over the years spanning prob. 60 years.  It has been moved all over the state.  I plan to use non glare glass.  I would have the option to etch/engrave on the back side of the glass.  I could do bare info, or his whole honorable discharge.  Anyone have plans to share, or ideas to add?  thanks.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

here is the walnut that is left.  just over 4 feet long and the widest pieces are just over 4 inches.  it is like we/he planned it this way.

the flag is the standard coffin 22 x 11 inches.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Larry

I've made quite a few flag cases. Commonly 22.5 degree miter joints are cut for the side joints. 22.5 is difficult to cut accurately and glue up can also be a problem. I prefer all 45 degree joints like in this picture I snatched off the web.

Since the miter joints are end grain they need some kind of reinforcement. Splines or dowels are most common. I cut keys for the joints in contrasting wood to add interest. Any of the three will work to add strength.

It's good that you have the flag as they do vary in size depending on the maker and also how they are folded. I would re-fold your flag to get the stars aligned perfect and cut the flag case parts to size.

Thanks to your Dad for his service.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dougtrr2

If I was going to make a case for that size flag I would add some small drawers underneath it.  That lifts the flag up on a "pedestal" and provides a place for some small keepsakes.

My son gave us a flag from his tour in Iraq and this is the case I made for it.  It is a smaller flag.

Doug in SW IA

kevinj54

Quote from: doc henderson on May 07, 2024, 12:41:08 PMGetting ready to build this for my Dad's flag given to my Mom at his military funeral.  I have a dozen small pieces of walnut, from a stack dad bought at an auction for ten bucks, not knowing what it was.  We went to the high school and planed it after school when I was in wood shop.  It has made a few projects over the years spanning prob. 60 years.  It has been moved all over the state.  I plan to use non glare glass.  I would have the option to etch/engrave on the back side of the glass.  I could do bare info, or his whole honorable discharge.  Anyone have plans to share, or ideas to add?  thanks. 
I kind of made my dads by looking at several designs. I have space for the flag, 3 fired casings, the presidential honor, and some pics.

flag case (5).jpg
Kevin

wudshp

I did something similar to what Larry suggested to avoid the 22.5 degree issue but let the bottom run wild.  I ran screws in from the bottom for reinforcement. The place it was going to be displayed worked well for this.  I used plexiglass because I used a dado to enclose the glass so I couldn't repair the glass easily and because I could cut it myself.  I considered an applied molding but opted for simple. This one was for my father in law. I miss him.

low res flag box.jpg

Thank You Sponsors!