iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a cabin in the mountains (Qweaver Memorium)

Started by Qweaver, May 13, 2006, 01:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Hi coreyjames
This might be better spun off into its own thread.
That appears to be thin veneer stone over probably a block core. The stone appears thin at most corners instead of a full rock appearing at the corners. Nothing wrong with that, it is what most chimneys and fireplaces are nowadays. It is uncoursed rubblestone in technique, pretty poorly done but it is a place to start talking from. The cabin looks cool, it looks like half dovetail corners.

Charles McRaven, "Stonework" would be one place to start reading, then start looking at work. The IRC codebook (the residential code in this list of codebooks) , I think chapter 10 is fireplaces;
Codes - VBCOA
That is Virginia but it is pretty stock for that chapter lots of good infor there.

With it tied into logwork remember the logs, roof, etc need to be able to slide down as they shrink without getting hung up on the non settling chimney. That will probably take more discussion as you get a handle on the basics.

I remembered I had a few pics of stonework in my gallery. This is Ed working on a stone chimney using fieldstone we gathered from old farm piles on that property. It is being applied at about 6" thickness over a solid poured and reinforced block core with flue liners. His work is bonded to the block with mortar and brick ties laid in the blockwork. I also had him make what he called a birdcage of rebar as he laid the stone. If you're cussing the reinforcing steel it is probably almost enough  :D. I think at that point Ed had about 200 tons of stone laid on that job, he worked there for another year after I was done.

Ray Bell

It is with great sadness that I have to pass on the news of the passing, on May 18, of our good friend Quinton Lee Weaver. Born on October 8, 1944 in the same locality as he built his final home, Quinton was only 77 at the time of his death.

Quinton at home. Though his health was failing, Quinton's
spirit still shines through.

It has been a terrible 15 months for Sarah, his wife of almost 56 years, as they had lost Sonya to Covid in March, 2021. Sarah also contracted the virus and recovered, but Sonya had 'underlying conditions' and so Quinton and Sarah had to endure the loss of their only child.

Those who followed his build of the 'cabin in the mountains,' over those exciting years in which Quinton and Sarah conceived and constructed their West Virginia home, will be well aware of Quinton's irrepressible attitude to the problems he faced. He conquered every obstacle and never stopped learning, drawing repeatedly on the experience of other members here to enable him to bring to birth a home which embodied all the effort, energy and ingenuity he could muster.

The cabin kept them warm. Winters came and went, the 'cabin in the
mountains' is a place of warmth.

At the same time as he kept repeating that he was learning from people here, and kept on asking for advice on timbers or building methods, he was doing what he probably did best – teaching. For Quinton wasn't one to learn solely for his own benefit, he was always willing to pass on information and experience, both professionally as a teacher and personally as a generous human being. There are several posts in which members of this forum have indicated that his example was inspiring them.

A permanent home. It was intended to be a holiday home, but plans changed and
Quinton and Sarah made it their year-round dwelling.

We also saw in the progress of this thread how important family and friends were to Quinton. The number who attended their 40th wedding anniversary, detailed in these pages, underline that and remind us all that we need each other, that if we have a generous and outgoing nature – as did this incredibly talented man we've just lost – then we will always have friends and family who care about us as we do them.

red

Very Sad to hear . . thank you for telling us 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

scsmith42

Ray, thanks for letting us know. I am deeply saddened to lean of Quinton and Sonya's passing.

A number of years ago I visited with the three of them in Texas. It was a trip that I will never forget.

I will keep Sandra in my thoughts and prayers.

Scott 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jeff

Yes, thank you so much for letting us know. May he rest in peace.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

That is a bummer! Thank you for passing along the news, my condolences to his wife. What a horrible time for her😢
Too many irons in the fire

Roundhouse

Rest in peace to a real craftsman and friend of the forum. Born on the exact same day as my father. Godspeed.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

What a cabin!
What a guy!
What a builder!!
Glad he got to fulfill a build.
A nice thread to read.
He will, is, missed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

florida

My condolences to his family. This thread is a textbook on how to build your own home and would make a great mini-book. I'm glad he had time to enjoy it.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Sedgehammer

I enjoyed reading about the build a while back . Was a very nice journey . Not many get such a one

Sad to hear his passing & condolences to his family
Necessity is the engine of drive

Stephen1

May he rest in peace in his new home overlooking the mountains. I have followed his story over the years.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

Condolences to family and friends and may he enjoy his cabin in the mountains for an eternity. This thread demonstrates his determination to reach his dream. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Quinton, rest in peace.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!