iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reversible switch

Started by jdtuttle, February 02, 2010, 06:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

I just bought a 94 reliant shaper. It had an old baldor motor someone put on & they disconnected the reversible switch. I had a nice 2 HP grizzly motor laying around I put on but i'm not sure how to rewire the old switch. I looked on line for wiring diagrams but not much luck. Anyone know where I can find the schematics? It's a 94 EE4001 reliant shaper. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Paid 250.00 & it came with 350.00 worth of carbide knives, half still new with prices on the boxes so it's probably more now.
thanks, jim
Have a great day

LeeB

I can't help you with the switch, but I am curious as to why you would reverse the cutter direction?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jdtuttle

Quotewhy you would reverse the cutter direction?
Good question & i'm not sure. That's the way it was originally wired. I 'm going to put a regular switch on and forget the reverse.
jim
Have a great day

LeeB

Don't take my question as advice, I just wanted to know why.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ARKANSAWYER

The shaper will run backwards becasue of some knives that go in.  Also when you make some types of cuts you but into the grain and others you cut again it.  My shaper goes forward and backward. It is a Grizz and I could look to see if I can find the book and look for the wiring diagram.
ARKANSAWYER

pineywoods

The reversing switch is for if when you mess up and put the cutter on upside down. reverse the motor and feed the board from the other end  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

What Arkie said.  Really great when doing circular moulding to prevent tear out.  Its also used when climb cutting with a power feeder.  One of the good features that separate the shaper from a router table.

Reliant was the house brand name for Trendlines (I think).  Trendlines was a mail order tool discounter that went bankrupt some years ago and I think the Reliant name disappeared.  Some other discounter picked up the pieces...can't remember who.  In any case Reliant was a typical Taiwan machine with blue paint.  The electrical's were poor with switches being terrible...probably the reason for the replacement motor and the switch being bypassed.  You would be money ahead by picking up a new reverse switch from Grainger if you decide you want it.  Check to see if the motor is reversible...some only go one direction.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jdtuttle

An electrician i am not. Wire a little but like to ask questions. The motor I put on is a from a grizzly planer. 2hp 110 or 220 ( I have it wired 110) 3450 rpm 24 amps. How do you tell if it's reversible?
Arky if the motor is reversible can you find those schematics for me. Or if grainger has the schematics with a new swith I will just put that on. I guess it all hinges on wether or not this motor is reversible. Thanks guys,
jim
Have a great day

ARKANSAWYER

The motor will have a little lable under the cover where you wire it up.  There will be a CW/CCW  as well as the 110V/220V  wiring schematic.  There should be an orange and yellow wire that are swaped to get the change of rotation.  Most times there is a black, blue, red or  yellow and a orange wire then a couple white ones for voltage change.
  Did not find my book.
ARKANSAWYER

jdtuttle

Thanks Arky, looks like it's not reversible which makes sense because it came off a planer . I'll just keep it the way I have it set up now. Works great.
Thanks,
jim
Have a great day

beenthere

I agree with Arky and Larry. That it can be reversed is the reason there are double spindle shapers. Each spindle turns in a different direction.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

most shaper cutters have a top and a bottem, but sometimes you want the top to be the bottem of your cut.  shapers are reversable so you can run the cutter either way.  my reliant shaper switch was so cheap that it stuck from chip build up and burned out the motor, got the motor rewound and bought a reversable switch from an electrical supply house.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!