iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vancouver Island and BC mountains

Started by florida, May 09, 2019, 09:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

The beaten path has come to us I'm afraid! We stopped in Telegraph Cove where there used to be a sawmill. No such luck, lots of old buildings but no mill. We went on a whale watching coat tour yesterday in Nanamio of all places. Saw these California Sea Lions riding logs on a log boom with the pusher boats right behind them

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

florida

I'll add more photos later. Internet connections are bad to terrible. 
Retired now!

florida

We're back as of last night and had a wonderful time. Vancouver Island is a fantastic place to visit with lots to do. I took too many photos to post but will  get a few up over the next day or so.
Retired now!

florida

Near Port Alberni we found Macleans Sawmill.  Now a National Historic site it was a working mill until 1965. The mill building is still there and is in good shape. Lots of the smaller mill buildings and houses are still scattered around the site. The mill pond still has a few logs in it and up the hill is a steam donkey and huge winch, both mounted on huge log skids. Apparently until a few years back they had volunteers  sawing lumber on weekends and even operating the donkey and winch. All of that was stopped years ago due to lack of funds  and now there is only one young woman working there to answer questions and help with school field trips. Tons of old equipment everywhere but little to no maintenance going on that I can see. My ever  patient wife let me wander, look and touch for many hours.

Retired now!

florida

More photos

I can guess what it does but have no idea what it's called

I couldn't find a name anywhere I could see on the saw but it's big. Looks like it would take at least a 30' log and has a double blade.

Retired now!

sawguy21

The top pic is of a lumber carrier used for moving lifts around the mill yard. That saw is big, you should see some of the logs it had to deal with. Did you see any of the huge off highway logging trucks? They keep rebuilding the old Autocars and Petes because modern trucks won't handle the loads.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

florida

I thought those were for carrying logs but I see now that they are for lumber.

We didn't see any off road trucks but sure saw plenty of them on the roads! We did see the logs, some trucks had as few as 5 logs on them. The logs were bigger up north and by the time we got south to Port Renfew the trucks were carrying 50 or more logs at a time. The trees are amazing, I've never seen trees that large in my life.

Retired now!

florida

Here are the blades for the headsaw.

Retired now!

rubberfish

Florida. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my part of our country.  8)
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

florida

Enjoyed is an understatement! My wife and I are discussing whether VI was the best place we've ever been. The weather was perfect and the scenery was all beautiful.  Also met some of the nicest people we ever  met.

Retired now!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

florida

Thanks, it's hard to take a bad photo there!

Retired now!

Stephen1

It was nice you had some great weather, not always so sunny and dry on the west coast
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

florida

It was very chilly up north and cool in Tofino but very warm in Sooke and Victoria. One 30 second sprinkle the entire trip. It was funny listening to locals complaining about the heat when it was 80! I told them we called that a cool day in the winter in south Florda!

Tofino is no longer a sleepy fishing village either. We stayed, courtesy of our oldest son as an anniversary present, at the Wickaninnish Inn on Chestermann Beach. It's got to be the most expensive place there. We had a suite for $600.00 a night but the view was amazing. We were fish out of water there!

Retired now!

sawguy21

My mother grew up in central B.C. and didn't like temperatures much over 70. I teased her that it was too hot if she had to take her sweater off. ;D I am glad you saw the island at it's best.

btulloh

Thanks for the updates on your trip and the photos. It sounds like you had real good time.
HM126

florida

Sawguy1
At 70 I'm in some sort of coat! When we work st the beach on cold winter days there are always people in the water. I tell my guys that it's either Canadians or Germans! Apparently 40 is beach weather in Canada!

Btulloh-We did. We've just spent the last hour watching VI You Tube videos if that tells you anything. 
Retired now!

sawguy21

:D No, 40 is not beach weather even here in Canada. Mid 70's this evening, perfect weather to be out in shorts and t- shirt

Ianab

Quote from: florida on June 21, 2019, 10:34:39 PMApparently 40 is beach weather in Canada!

Heck I've been out surfing in under 40F weather. Had to melt the frost off the car first though. I wasn't even the first one paddling out, you could see the other guys footprints in the frost on the sand :D

Having said that it was a beautiful day, no wind so the water was glassy, but a decent winter swell coming in from the South. So we got out for a paddle, before the crowds. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

florida

sawguy21
Of course I'm kidding about the Canadians and beach weather but there were guys surfing in wet suits at almost every beach we went to. Sticking my hand in was enough for me!

Ianab
Never been a surfer but even if I was I doubt I'd get in water that cold. I don't even get in our pool until it's 80!
Retired now!

Wolfgang Rother

Hi i been there in 17 and 18.
In my opinion some of the best places are.
Ucluelet, long beach, english man waterfalls, Kennedy lake,
Sunshine coast ist too fall in love.
So many things to see in BC/AB.
The trip in 18 was in an old camper and it was the trip of my life.

Thank You Sponsors!