iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Russian guy free hand milling technique

Started by Brad_bb, November 26, 2019, 01:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I came across this recent video on youtube of this guys technique for free hand chainsaw milling, and it sounds good.  I will be interested to try this technique, though I think I really need a lighter weight chainsaw.  My only saw is a 2 year old Stihl 661.  It's a lot of saw to tote like he does.  This could be a solution for logs in a difficult spot too hard to get out whole.
Russian CSM freehand technique
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

Interesting. I've seen videos of guys in the rainforest freehanding boards out of logs, usually using an 090 with bare feet. But the idea is is the same. The chain with all the teeth cutting cross grain is not very efficient, and makes dust. Running the tip of the saw down the groove lets a few cutters carve out decent chunks of wood, and not bog down the saw. Once you have a straight groove, that acts as your "guide". 

Take a bit of practice to get the technique down, but he's not breaking any laws of chainsaw physics. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ManjiSann

His boards are certainly straighter and more consistent than when I tried to free hand mill. 

He points out the importance of properly sharpened chain and that the teeth and rakers need to be consistent, I suspect that's part of where I went wrong. I'm only now beginning to understand how it all fits together and consistency of the teeth I'm thinking is very important.

I loved the scooter with the logs on the side, mad respect for the guy for using what he has and not letting a lack of "proper" gear stop him. 

Thanks for sharing the video!

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Brad_bb

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he said it was free handing with a rip chain (10 degree)?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

motzingg

I just came back to this forum to ask a chainsaw question and thought i would see if anyone was talking about this video. 

I saw it a couple weeks ago and now i'm getting suggestions for other crazy russians free-hand milling on youtube. Guess its common knowledge over there. All my friends that grew up in the USSR (poland, romania, ukrane) have that great 'make it work' attitude.

The one i saw recently was someone starting the cut with a laser level. If you search 'oak table 133 years old' it will come up.

I just ordered a cheap laser level from that jungle site, i'm gonna try it.  You keep the laser plane 'painted' right along the bar of your saw you cant mess up.  Maybe?

Seems like a good idea to me, i'll try to remember to post back if i try it.  I have some long skinny pine that i want to just split straight lengthwise for use in a pole barn.  My sawmill guy will laugh at me if i show up with 8" x 10' pine tree tops, but they are nice and straight if i can manage to split them with the chainsaw.

beenthere

They "make it work" because they have to get along with less. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

I watched tribesmen in Central Africa (Guinea, Cameroon & CAR) and in the Amazon (Ecuador & Peru) making lumber as shown. They usually cut it about 5/4 but were real good for free-handing with a big saw. Their PPE was well described by Ian above. :D

I watched a guy bringing a load of such lumber in a big plank built pirogue down the Dibomba River on his way to the port at the Atlantic Ocean at Douala, Cameroon. He could not have had 2" of freeboard remaining and it looked like a good chop on the water would have sunk him.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jpassardi

Interesting, I'll give it try if I ever have to use the chainsaw to fit a bigun on the woodmizer. I hope to never need to use my chainsaw mill again...
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

JoshNZ

Ive ripped a handful of logs into halves or quarters now in order to pick them up with my gear and fit on the mill later, I wouldn't want it to be part of the day to day process but given how often it's come up, I do quite enjoy the opportunity to tackle it.

Not super efficient but, actually not less efficient than milling a handful of tension bound ~15" walnut logs to make a stack the same size. I get a kick out of the number of boards a log like this gives up. Seem to go on and on and all high quality heart quartered 

Thank You Sponsors!