iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

Pretty obvious that the handwriting is on the wall, IF one wants to read it and make a helpful decision. 
If not for themselves, then maybe for their families, friends, and maybe most important.. for our hospitals with shortage of nurses. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

It's true but it's not right to refuse care just because somebody is alcoholic or a heavy smoker. It starts out easy but get a person over time.

I told a customer I was sorry to hear his aunt passed away(brain cancer) He said she smoked so she brought it on herself. I just walked away.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ianab

Quote from: HemlockKing on September 15, 2021, 12:54:40 PM
We have 75% vac rate on NS, one of the best rates over North America, still isn't enough for these people to just let things go back to normal.
I don't think 75% is enough to shut down the Delta virus, it spreads so easily, and you still have "x" thousands of people to spread it. 

Locally we have been watching what's happening in other countries, to get an idea where we are going to go next. 

Denmark has basically lifted all restrictions, but they also have a ~90% vaccination rate. They are still getting cases, some non vaccinated, some break though,  But not so many cases that hospitals are overwhelmed. It's now more like a bad flu season for them. They are maybe 3 months ahead of us on the vaccinations.

Data out of Australia says that of the patients in hospital, only 2% were fully vaccinated, 19% had on shot, and the rest had none. Here in NZ none of the Covid patients in hospital were vaccinated, but that's only about 40 people. That's fairly telling that the vaccine helps, even if you catch the virus, you don't get seriously sick. And by seriously sick, I mean bad enough to need hospital care. You could still be laid up for a week or 2, but not "life in danger" level sick. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Scott

Loggers, Landscapers Face Deadly Danger Felling Trees in Forests and Urban Areas
Pennsylvania State University via Phys.org, Sept. 14, 2021
Tree felling — whether by professional loggers in a forest setting or by landscapers in urban and rural landscapes — is the most dangerous job in what are two of the most dangerous industries, according to Penn State researchers who conducted a new study of associated deaths. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration calls logging "the most dangerous occupation in the United States." The fatal injury rate for loggers is more than 30 times the rate for all U.S. workers. Tree-care workers also encounter hazards at rates much higher than the average employee.
The E-Forester
~Ron

Old Greenhorn

Ron that is an interesting article. I read it and the 2 follow-ups that it pointed me to. I don't think it provides any news that most of us here don't already know and suspect it might encourage some insurance companies to raise their rates, which is a normal knee-jerk reaction. I do think the subject deserves a thread of it's own, not sure how it relates to the subject of this thread.
 It always strikes me as funny that the world of academia, actuaries, and government need an expensive 'study' to determine what anybody who is paying attention already knows intuitively. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

newoodguy78

We all do things every day that are dangerous and have consequences, it's been going on since the dawn of time   ;) .

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

75% was not enough for us in New Brunswick. 'Higgie baby', the premier, put the breaks on Friday, gotta mask up again and now vaccination before you can get into crowded spaces. The target now is 90%. We have a lot more active cases than we ever had, but the numbers that we have are still a lot lower, way lower, than other places on the continent. 650 active cases, 41 in hospital, 16 in ICU. Their data does not show cases by vaccination status. But they tell us similar percentages by vax  status as Doc here is telling us.

We are about 80% vaccinated now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: newoodguy78 on September 20, 2021, 12:58:17 PM

We all do things every day that are dangerous and have consequences, it’s been going on since the dawn of time   ;) .
Cigarettes and alcohol, both as individuals amount to more deaths than any covid can in a year in the US. This is just why i don’t buy “for your safety” baloney, alternative motives behind all of it. We have been basically reduced to nothing “for our safety” through regulation and bylaws since the 70s. Now we’re gonna have domestic vaccine passports to even move interprovincial. I could get behind nationally. But not provincial, here we had our government flying in a bunch of immigrants from India during their massive outbreak, left our international borders open WEEKS, after the virus was well
Known. But yeah they care for us.and I don’t believe in outlawing those things, I just find it funny how you’re only allowed to take drugs that they have a lock over, weed? Your going to prison buddy,  but feel
Free to drink literal poison that can cause seizures if stopped cold turkey.
A1

Don P

I think that was one of those statistics we hear tell of that are made up on the spot  :D.

A couple of weeks ago 100% of the covid patients in our hospital were unvaxxed. A woman my wife works with has CF. She needed to get to the ICU, she was closing up and coughing up blood. Two days later they got her in. That has never happened.

I don't recall that with smokes or alcohol. In the US we are at 680,000 deaths last I heard, from my memory of the body count I think the variant has taken more lives. The undertaker here has been quite busy.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Don P on September 27, 2021, 04:57:07 PM
I think that was one of those statistics we hear tell of that are made up on the spot  :D.

A couple of weeks ago 100% of the covid patients in our hospital were unvaxxed. A woman my wife works with has CF. She needed to get to the ICU, she was closing up and coughing up blood. Two days later they got her in. That has never happened.

I don't recall that with smokes or alcohol. In the US we are at 680,000 deaths last I heard, from my memory of the body count I think the variant has taken more lives. The undertaker here has been quite busy.
680 but is also been over 1.5 year… the data for smoke and liquor is just per year 
A1

doctorb

Hemlock:

Covid:  680,000 deaths in 1.5 years

Smoking:  

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.Mar. 23, 2020

Alcohol:  

An estimated 95,000 people (approximately 68,000 men and 27,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually,15 making alcohol the third-leading preventable cause of death in the United States.

So smoking and Covid have similar annual death rates.  Alcohol is certainly a serious cause of death, but is not statistically close to those two.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WV Sawmiller

My 9 y/o gd caught Covid last week. She has been quarantined with her 2 older sisters. She had no smell was how they became suspicious. After 2 days she was feeling normal and running around. No others have symptoms so far. My son and SIL had it last November. I think the 9 y/o can go back to school later this week but the older girls have to wait another 4-5 days.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Some of the areas pushing the passports the hardest have legalized or at least de criminalized almost every street drug.

Yup, all for your own good. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

21incher

Today I was at our local Amish store and an older woman was filling  up a cart with  canning  supplies.  I joked with her to leave some for others and she told me she was loosing her job tomorrow and would  have time to start  canning.  A friend  had told her about our store so she drove out from Rochester.  Turns out she is an ICU nurse  loosing  her job for refusing  the vaccine.  She worked 12 hour plus days for over a year now dealing with  people very sick  from covid and also reactions from the vaccines. Had no problems all that time following procedures but now will be fired. She said more staff from her hospital at all levels will also be fired tomorrow.  At that point  her hospital will have too many beds filled for the number of staff left. Also said the state  is refusing  unemployment benefits for anyone  fired tomorrow but felt lawsuits would  change that. I wouldn't want  to be in a hospital  in NY tomorrow. My body my choice is no longer  being  honored in NY and I could tell she was going  to miss nursing but looking forward to some time for herself. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

Filled hospital beds is a result of those who make the choice. Not hard to understand that bottom line. 

Sad that hospital administrators are having to require their nurses to be vaccinated, but the same is happening in many hospitals and other institutions and businesses. 
There are other patients with a need for hospital beds beyond just those going in with Covid. They deserve to be in a safe (as possible) environment which to me would include vaccinated staff. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

i think there should be an exemption also if you already had the disease.  i do not know that i have had it.  i am tired a lot, but i am 60 and working more than i like.  If you have antibodies you should not need vaccinated.  If i can stick tubes down very ill patients airways with my face 10 inches away and not get it, surely asymptomatic nurses with covid can keep it from patients.  i think cancer or heart transplant units would have to be an exception.  i guarantee we have a job in Kansas for anyone who wants it as a nurse.  we do not yet require it at the hospital, but my corporation/company does.  no vaccine after nov. 1 or you are fired, or at least cannot work.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Numbers from NZ today. In the Delta outbreak, only 4% of the adult cases were fully vaccinated people, and none of them have ended up in hospital. 78% was people with no shots, and the balance would be only one shot, or too recent to work properly. An additional ~25% has been in children too young to be vaccinated currently, but fortunately usually less severely affected. 

Deaths from, the vaccine? So for it's ONE. From ~5 million shots. I don't know anyone locally that's had a serious bad side effect. One lady fainted, some felt like crud the next day, plenty of sore arms, but nothing "serious".

Deaths from Covid is now 27, from ~4,000 infections. 

I'm now in the "fully vaxed" group (got shots early due to health issues). Lil and Ms 14 got theirs over the weekend, and get 2nd shots next month. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

firefighter ontheside

My wife and I are going to get our booster on Friday.  We both qualify as we are both in high risk jobs.
Hopefully my parents will manage to get it this week too.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

We had a BSA meeting last night.  social distancing.  got a text this am that one fully vaccinated asymptomatic adult, test + this am.  it is everywhere and delta is more contagious.  you will get the vaccine, or the disease, or both.  The hope is that you will survive if you have the vaccine first.  you are young and healthy and would prob. survive, but we need you able to work, and you might spread it to others.  And there is a chance you could have long term consequences or worse.  Our daily contact with the disease also keeps our immunity up.  Godspeed folks!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

now comes RSV and influenza season.  with less mitigation (after the vaccine) then we may see a terrible flu season.

Claybraker

Quote from: doc henderson on September 27, 2021, 10:52:46 PM
 i am tired a lot, but i am 60 and working more than i like. 
Just a thought, but after 18 months of brutal hours the temptation to get a break has got to be powerful among folks who have reached a certain age. If their portfolios performed half as well as mine the idea of taking the winter off and spending some of the profit in a warmer climate or even just taking the winter off and doing nothing has got to sound pretty appealing. Probably tempting even for younger folks. It's not like they can't go back to work if they want to. The immortal words of David Alan Coe "Take this Job and Shove It." Might explain the reported vax hesitancy among healthcare workers.

doc henderson

samandothers

Doc,
Prayers for you and other front line folk working to assist those that are sick, not just for your knowledge, skill and compassion but for your well being!

As you often say Godspeed!

Thank You Sponsors!