The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Just the Facts, the Crown virus.  (Read 99417 times)

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Just the Facts, the Crown virus.
« Reply #2640 on: September 10, 2021, 05:34:56 PM »
From what I read here in Nova Scotia they are talking about the proof of vaccine for indoor non-essential things like bars, theatres, restaurants ..... they will also be lifting gathering limits and mask mandates as well. They are talking about doing this on Sept.15 as it is expected to be at 75% fully vaccinated.

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #2641 on: September 10, 2021, 06:07:45 PM »
Here are the accepted tests when travelling to Canada. And testing is still required before entry.

COVID-19 testing for travellers - Travel restrictions in Canada ? Travel.gc.ca

PCR test is one of the accepted tests.
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2642 on: September 10, 2021, 08:06:31 PM »
I'm working on planning a fishing trip to Ontario next June.  It looks like right now I have to show proof that I'm 14 days past an approved last dose, have a negative molecular test within 72 hours of crossing, be subject to random rapid testing at the border.  Not a huge deal, but sad that it has to be.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2643 on: September 11, 2021, 06:12:13 AM »
Or supermarkets or hardware stores? Or the bank?
Groceries are essential, pretty sure in NS hardware and banks will be too. I have human contact less than handful of times a week. 

Offline BradMarks

• Foresters are TREE-mendous
    • Share Post
    • Pacforest Supply
« Reply #2644 on: September 15, 2021, 12:37:59 PM »
Statistics are what you make of them, pro or con.  Interpretation is for the individual.  Our county case rate has exploded dramatically and our fully vaccinated rate is around 64% currently.  Case numbers are inflated due to out of county cases being moved here, as we have four hospitals in the county. We are getting daily info in the newspaper, how many cases, how many infectious, how many hospitalized, how many in ICU, on ventilators, AND HOW MANY ARE VACCINATED. Currently in the past week, the Covid-hospitalized % that are vaccinated patients has run between 15-25%. For a vaccine(s) that is supposed to prevent serious illness and hospitalization, tell me why the hospital rate of the vaxxed is so high it itself?. And not the argument of "look how bad if you're not".  Statistics.  Doesn't that say the vaccine is not nearly effective as advertised?

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2645 on: September 15, 2021, 12:54:40 PM »
We have 75% vac rate on NS, one of the best rates over North America, still isn’t enough for these people to just let things go back to normal. 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #2646 on: September 15, 2021, 01:05:32 PM »
It is hard to study.  do the remaining 25% already have immunity from natural disease?  if so, let it go.  At this point you are going to get the shot or the disease or both.  all the mitigation just keeps the hospitals able to handle the load. barely.  we have a 190 bed hospital but only enough nurses to staff 50 to 60 beds.  we have an 18 bed ED with plenty of docs and mid-levels, but have trouble increasing nursing staff to keep up.  we have the state fair this week.  I walked through a waiting area last night with at least 12 people waiting.  nothing I could do to help, as everyone was back in a room that could be taken.  The day we have 200 people at the front entrance of the ED, is when we lock the door with armed guards and only let in people as we can take them.  It has not got that bad yet in part due to the masks and the social distancing.  but only a percentage of people followed those guidelines.  day by day.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline stanmillnc

• Work hard and good things happen
    • Share Post
    • Stanley's Sawmill - Specialty Wood Supply
« Reply #2647 on: September 15, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »
My wife works in the ICU and gets a daily update with COVID statistics from the hospital. Last few weeks averaged 96%+ of patients in the ICU with COVID have been unvaccinated. Can't speak to statistics in other areas of the country, but this is reality in Charlotte, NC. I waited 6 hours in the ER with a severed finger a few weeks ago because it was full of COVID patients with more serious conditions - docs told me they were all not vaccinated and thanked me for getting mine.

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2648 on: September 15, 2021, 02:41:57 PM »
It must be a regional thing as there are several I know around here that have been double tapped but are sick as a dog including my Uncle Doug. Of course he got his back in the Spring so it may be losing it's effectiveness.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #2649 on: September 15, 2021, 03:12:55 PM »
It is not 100%.  of all the tests we do, only 1 in 9 + had a vaccine.  Most of these do not wind up in the hospital and die.  everyone's definition of really sick varies, and I assure you mine is quite severe.  I hope he survives and still think his chances are better having had the vaccine.  If you are older or have immuno-compromise it may not take as well.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2650 on: September 15, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »
89- heavy drinker. Time will tell

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2651 on: September 15, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »
Pretty obvious that the handwriting is on the wall, IF one wants to read it and make a helpful decision. 
If not for themselves, then maybe for their families, friends, and maybe most important.. for our hospitals with shortage of nurses. 
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2652 on: September 15, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »
It's true but it's not right to refuse care just because somebody is alcoholic or a heavy smoker. It starts out easy but get a person over time.

I told a customer I was sorry to hear his aunt passed away(brain cancer) He said she smoked so she brought it on herself. I just walked away.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #2653 on: September 15, 2021, 04:17:34 PM »
We have 75% vac rate on NS, one of the best rates over North America, still isn’t enough for these people to just let things go back to normal.
I don't think 75% is enough to shut down the Delta virus, it spreads so easily, and you still have "x" thousands of people to spread it. 

Locally we have been watching what's happening in other countries, to get an idea where we are going to go next. 

Denmark has basically lifted all restrictions, but they also have a ~90% vaccination rate. They are still getting cases, some non vaccinated, some break though,  But not so many cases that hospitals are overwhelmed. It's now more like a bad flu season for them. They are maybe 3 months ahead of us on the vaccinations.

Data out of Australia says that of the patients in hospital, only 2% were fully vaccinated, 19% had on shot, and the rest had none. Here in NZ none of the Covid patients in hospital were vaccinated, but that's only about 40 people. That's fairly telling that the vaccine helps, even if you catch the virus, you don't get seriously sick. And by seriously sick, I mean bad enough to need hospital care. You could still be laid up for a week or 2, but not "life in danger" level sick. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2654 on: September 19, 2021, 11:39:42 PM »
Loggers, Landscapers Face Deadly Danger Felling Trees in Forests and Urban Areas
 Pennsylvania State University via Phys.org, Sept. 14, 2021
 Tree felling — whether by professional loggers in a forest setting or by landscapers in urban and rural landscapes — is the most dangerous job in what are two of the most dangerous industries, according to Penn State researchers who conducted a new study of associated deaths. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration calls logging "the most dangerous occupation in the United States." The fatal injury rate for loggers is more than 30 times the rate for all U.S. workers. Tree-care workers also encounter hazards at rates much higher than the average employee.
The E-Forester

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #2655 on: September 20, 2021, 07:00:29 AM »
Ron that is an interesting article. I read it and the 2 follow-ups that it pointed me to. I don't think it provides any news that most of us here don't already know and suspect it might encourage some insurance companies to raise their rates, which is a normal knee-jerk reaction. I do think the subject deserves a thread of it's own, not sure how it relates to the subject of this thread.
 It always strikes me as funny that the world of academia, actuaries, and government need an expensive 'study' to determine what anybody who is paying attention already knows intuitively. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #2656 on: September 20, 2021, 12:58:17 PM »

We all do things every day that are dangerous and have consequences, it’s been going on since the dawn of time   ;) .

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #2657 on: September 27, 2021, 02:21:43 PM »
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #2658 on: September 27, 2021, 03:45:19 PM »
75% was not enough for us in New Brunswick. 'Higgie baby', the premier, put the breaks on Friday, gotta mask up again and now vaccination before you can get into crowded spaces. The target now is 90%. We have a lot more active cases than we ever had, but the numbers that we have are still a lot lower, way lower, than other places on the continent. 650 active cases, 41 in hospital, 16 in ICU. Their data does not show cases by vaccination status. But they tell us similar percentages by vax  status as Doc here is telling us.

We are about 80% vaccinated now.
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2659 on: September 27, 2021, 04:02:53 PM »

We all do things every day that are dangerous and have consequences, it’s been going on since the dawn of time   ;) .
Cigarettes and alcohol, both as individuals amount to more deaths than any covid can in a year in the US. This is just why i don’t buy “for your safety” baloney, alternative motives behind all of it. We have been basically reduced to nothing “for our safety” through regulation and bylaws since the 70s. Now we’re gonna have domestic vaccine passports to even move interprovincial. I could get behind nationally. But not provincial, here we had our government flying in a bunch of immigrants from India during their massive outbreak, left our international borders open WEEKS, after the virus was well
Known. But yeah they care for us.and I don’t believe in outlawing those things, I just find it funny how you’re only allowed to take drugs that they have a lock over, weed? Your going to prison buddy,  but feel
Free to drink literal poison that can cause seizures if stopped cold turkey.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Crown

Started by kenfrommaine on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post July 12, 2016, 07:13:16 AM
by Czech_Made
xx
Crown or step

Started by Treehuggers on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post March 02, 2020, 05:59:15 PM
by Treehuggers