The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Firewood prices  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
Re: Firewood prices
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2021, 07:50:23 AM »
This thread, alnog with the "no orders" thread are renacted every few days in the store. I'm sure it will get going today with the rain. Lotta guys stop in on rainy days to grab supplies, and since it's raining they usually tend to hang out for a while. Too bad you guys aren't closer; you'd be welcome to join us. :)

Funny how in the last couple weeks, the themes of the 2 threads have converged. Prices are definitely jumping up. $300 a cord now being the norm. $400 for truly seasond wood. There's one exception from Woodstock, (naturally), with one guy riding around with "$200 a cord" on the side of his truck. Dude thinks he's outsmarting everybody. LOL

And with it getting cold enough for people to finally decide to take their wood, those customers have created a new problem. With all of that wood going out all at once, they've sucked the systen dry faster than it can sustain itself, and it needs time to recover.  Guys have blown through their log piles faster than the loggers can resupply them.

One really large operation in Prattsville has run through an enormous pile of logs and has a sign up "No longer taking orders; waiting on log deliveries". Many guys are going the "no new customers" route. And low grade timber is still paying pretty good at the mills, which means fewer logs get sorted into the firewood pile.

The lingering question remains; how many of these folks scrambling for wood will learn and change their habits? My guess will be some, with most unable to look in the mirror and realize they are part of the problem.

If any of you guys stop in today, bring coffee. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2021, 08:40:56 AM »

Funny how in the last couple weeks, the themes of the 2 threads have converged. Prices are definitely jumping up. $300 a cord now being the norm. $400 for truly seasond wood. There's one exception from Woodstock, (naturally), with one guy riding around with "$200 a cord" on the side of his truck. Dude thinks he's outsmarting everybody. LOL

And with it getting cold enough for people to finally decide to take their wood, those customers have created a new problem. With all of that wood going out all at once, they've sucked the systen dry faster than it can sustain itself, and it needs time to recover.  Guys have blown through their log piles faster than the loggers can resupply them.

One really large operation in Prattsville has run through an enormous pile of logs and has a sign up "No longer taking orders; waiting on log deliveries". Many guys are going the "no new customers" route. And low grade timber is still paying pretty good at the mills, which means fewer logs get sorted into the firewood pile.

The lingering question remains; how many of these folks scrambling for wood will learn and change their habits? My guess will be some, with most unable to look in the mirror and realize they are part of the problem.

If any of you guys stop in today, bring coffee. :)
That fella in in W'stock surprises me, he must be stupid hungry. That's where the big dollar deliveries go. He is outsmarting himself for sure, unless he is selling short cords of junk.
 I got a call from a land improvement client of mine yesterday who asked if I could come help him make his deadfall trees into firewood. Apparently he just bought a couple of cords from a local supplier he had been using for a few years now who bills himself as selling only the best, clean dry wood in measured cords. He charges a premium and I think is the highest in town, but it is clean and he tumbles his wood.  Well anyway, this client says the wood he got is kind of green and he wants to cut, split, and stack all his long down dead stuff. I am certain you know the supplier, he thinks he is the best around.
 Yeah, it's only gonna get worse. The guys that have wood will get that premium in the next 8 weeks or so. 
 I got too much rainy day work to do, plus a chiro visit today to stop in, but just for future reference, how do you and Warren take your coffee? The larger question is, why don't you guys have a coffee pot in the shop? I wouldn't work in a shop without one. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »
Bob, I dont think that I could possibly send you coffee up there in time, IF you expect to get it TODAY :D ;D

After all, NY is quite some distance from AR.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2021, 12:02:46 PM »
I have to wonder if the guy with the sign that says $ 200.00 a "cord" is talking about a face cord (?).

Offline Beau Woodworks

• Furniture maker, Log seller and soon to be miller
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2021, 01:19:25 PM »
Thought I would chip in from across the pond. 

Our current prices are per loose cubic meter which is 35 cubic feet. No idea of the conversion from a stacked cord to a loose cubic meter though.

1 cube meter 120
2 cubic meters 220

That's for hardwood logs delivered. 

Offline jmur1

• Full Member x2
  • Wood is King
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »
When I sold my 1st loose 16" box 4'x8'x4' I was schooled by my customer that it stacked nearly exactly to 2/3 of a cord.  (It was just nicely heaping)
so that converts as 3.625 m (actual full cord) to about 2.417 m of stacked wood after being a loose equivalent cord.

jmur1
Easy does it

Offline jimbarry

• Work less, make more.
    • Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2021, 05:52:11 AM »
... Too bad you guys aren't closer; you'd be welcome to join us. :).
Install a large flat screen tv in your store and set up a ForestryForum live streaming event :)
Jim
WoodchuckCanuck.com - Livin' the rural life in Nova Scotia.
Hakki Pilki 37 Easy, EastonMade 12-22, Husqvarna & Stihl
Bandsaw Blade Sharpening and Welding Sales &  Service

Offline jimbarry

• Work less, make more.
    • Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2021, 06:03:02 AM »
Thought I would chip in from across the pond.

Our current prices are per loose cubic meter which is 35 cubic feet. No idea of the conversion from a stacked cord to a loose cubic meter though.

1 cube meter 120
2 cubic meters 220

That's for hardwood logs delivered.
It's the same BeauWoodworks.
Regarding loose pile measuring, it depends on what a seller defines as a loose pile cord. General consensus is 180 cu ft, which converts to 5.09 cu metres. That means a loose 35.36 cu ft is equal to a loose 1 cu metre. Like you said.
A stacked 128 cu ft (one cord) converts to a stacked 3.62 cu metre. That means a stacked 35.36 cu ft is equal to a stacked 1 cu metre.

Math based on 6am calculations on 1/2 cup of coffee :)
Jim
WoodchuckCanuck.com - Livin' the rural life in Nova Scotia.
Hakki Pilki 37 Easy, EastonMade 12-22, Husqvarna & Stihl
Bandsaw Blade Sharpening and Welding Sales &  Service

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2021, 07:05:29 AM »
Tom; used to have a pot in the shop. Problem was we'd be hitting it all day. Often along with some just as unecessary snacks. Good coffee just across the road at the gas station, and it stays under control.

More landscapers than wood guys stopped in on the rainy day. Those guys are fighting a quickly closing window to get clean ups done and the weather isn't helping.

Couple "fixed amount" wood sellers stopped in. Dudes that sell their planned 30-40 cords and that's it. Both are done but still getting calls, many from people who wanted to wait. But call of the week honors have to go to one guy who got a call from his son. Kid was nudged into calling by his father in law wanting 2 cords of seasoned wood. Apparently the same 2 cords he had been talking about all summer. Kid knows the drill but he's stuck in the middle, plus he knew his Dad would get a good laugh. Best part is they are all getting together for Thanksgiving because they now share a new grand kid. And my buddy is definitely the type to get a few digs in. LOL
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
- Firewood prices -

Started by BargeMonkey on Forestry and Logging

51 Replies
Last post August 02, 2014, 09:27:06 PM
by repmma
xx
prices for firewood

Started by countryjonez on Firewood and Wood Heating

12 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 05:50:40 PM
by woodmills1