iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about Lodgepole Pine Log prices

Started by N.Wilder, August 26, 2021, 01:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N.Wilder

I want to make a fair offer for some lodgepole pine logs. 

A lot down the road has cleared out a bunch of lodgepole pine to build a new home. There's probably 50 or so. The logs are currently piled up near the edge of the road, and have been sitting for a few weeks. They're randomly cut between 6 ft and 16 ft long. The biggest are around 14 inches and then it goes down from there. I want to contact the owner or the removal group to see if the logs are for sale. 

However, I'm super new to logging and milling. I'm one of those millennials who bought a chainsaw this year and have had a lot of fun getting firewood. I want to offer to buy the logs, but I don't want to be misinformed or sound like an idiot when it comes to prices. I want to pay a fair price, but from my quick look online, it's difficult to know what that is. I've seen many different prices online ranging from .10 per board foot to .45 per board foot. Some are priced per ton, some are priced per log. I'm in Idaho if that's helpful. 

The logs don't look like they were taken out with care. Many have gouge marks from the backhoe, but they could be some great practice logs for the new chainsaw mill I bought. 

Any advice would be super helpful. Thank you!

reride82

N.Wilder,

Personally, I'd start with firewood prices. Around here in Western Montana dry Lodgepole goes for $80-120 per cord delivered in log form. So, I would figure a rough volume in cords and go from there. Figure out the cubic foot volume of the pile, divide by 128 to get the number of cords and multiply that by your price per cord. Almost every contractor and homeowner understands firewood volumes, whereas tons/bd ft will confuse them. Will you be loading and hauling? That will effect cost if they load and haul. There is a chance that they just want them gone, so if you can load and haul in a reasonable time you may get them for free plus your time and equipment. The only way to really know is to ask. I have gotten plenty of "free" timber by just being in the right place at the right time and being efficient. I've also been paid to get the logs moved and gone since they were in the way. I've also traded some live edge slabs for logs.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

N.Wilder

Levi,

Thank you. That is super helpful advice about pricing per cord. The contractor hasn't been around for a few days, so I left a note on their backhoe. We'll see if they reach out. 

Thanks,

Nathan

barbender

I'm with Levi. I'd approach them and ask "what is going to happen to that pile of logs out there?". The contractor or homeowner's response will let you know what you're up against. They may just say, if someone wants to come load them up and get them out of the way they can have them. Ask them how much it would cost to have them haul it to your place, if they just want $150 or something it would save you a LOT of trouble.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!