iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Step stool

Started by Dan_Shade, August 29, 2021, 08:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I slapped together a step stool in the evenings over the past week or so (not sure when I started.  Design heavily influenced by a Frank Klausz step stool in an old American Woodworker magazine article. (Dec 1999 issue). 

I hand planed the flat surfaces after running them through the thickness planer.

The wood is poplar, stained with walnut stain, I rolled up the stain rag and pressed it in a few spots, to fake figured wood.  This would work well with the hands of a more talented artist than me.

Next I rolled the rag over the surface, that made a very interesting pattern.

I sprayed it with minwax polyurethane out of a spray can.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

Is the "rag roll" the curly looking figure?
I like the old magazines.  So many projects are doggy eared. I'll get to them some day. 😉
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

The dark diagonal lines are where I pressed the rolled up rag.

The "curly" figure is from rolling it.

I got the idea from Tage Frid's book. 

Dan_Shade

There's a few plane tracks in there too!

This is a stool to help the wee one reach the sink easier for hand washing, so I decided to play a bit 

Larry

Great job!

Step stools are another quick project that are really appreciated by those vertically impaired folks.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dan_Shade

Yeah, I like the designs with a tall back or side, being able to grab hold is helpful in maintaining balance. 

WV Sawmiller

Neat stool. Reminds me of a potty chair I saw with a tiny stool with a cut out for a training pot. It was shaped kind of like an arm chair with a small magazine rack on one side and a toilet paper holder on the other. I kept seeing the image of a small toddler siting on a pot reading his story book while his dad was on the regular throne reading the sports section of the newspaper.

In Okinawa I saw the Japanese had push toys that were potty chairs so the kids got trained using their favored toys at the same time. Pretty neat idea. The pot had a removable cover as the seat which could be removed for regular play.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jbjbuild

Great job on the dovetails!
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

Texas Ranger

OK, I have to be delicate on this one.  Years ago we had a lady friend (still our friend) that was short in stature but very well endowed.  Her complaint was that kitchen counter tops were at a height that when she did dishes her anatomy would become wet from the counter top.  She did not ask for, but, I built a step stool to give her some height over the counter top.  The top silhouette was cut to represent her anatomy.  My wife then used her artistic ability to paint the top to represent her anatomy in its full glory, the image taken from the internet.

At the time we had a regular Friday night church choir get together.  When the project was completed we presented the stool, wrapped appropriately, to her at the get together.

My wife and I acquired a new appreciation of our mutual artistic ability, and probably a new social status.

Sorry, but discretion prevents photographs of the project.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Texas Ranger on September 15, 2021, 09:08:03 AM
OK, I have to be delicate on this one.  ......

Sorry, but discretion prevents photographs of the project.
No it doesn't. ;D :D This sounds really cute and well thought out.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

I have made a couple too.  They will get passed down in the family.  Dan, I really like yours. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

I made the one on the left a 6 years ago, it is from the magazine article.  

The larger hole in the shorter one makes it easier to move, I think the tall one is a bit more elegant.  The poplar one is definitely lighter than the oak one!

Thank You Sponsors!