iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powermatic 15s planner

Started by Crossroads, September 13, 2021, 12:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I just picked up a 15" planner with a spiral head. The blades are still continuous blades instead of the carbide inserts. I haven't had a chance to check with powermatic to see if I can replace the continuous blades with carbide inserts yet. Anyone here know if I can do that? Thank you!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

doc henderson

I assume it would take a different head.  about 6 to 800 bucks I think.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

I'm sure you could, but as said, it would require changing heads.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crossroads

I was afraid of that, I had never seen a spiral head that had a continuous blade like this. The mounting bolt spacing appears to be to much for the inserts. It came with 2 extra sets of blades, so I guess I can decide what to do after they're used up. Thank you 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Larry

If that is non stock head Byrd can make one.  They have accumulated engineering drawings over the years for about every machine out there.  I helped a friend retrofit an Oliver jointer last year and the lead time on a new head seemed like it was 9 months or so.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

metalspinner

Larry,
Did that Oliver jointer have a direct drive head right out of the motor?

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Larry

It did.

About 8 years ago I converted a 12" Northfield direct drive jointer and I think the head for it was about $2,000.  Don't know what the price was for the Oliver head.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

metalspinner

That's good to know a new head is available for this. 
Was it tough to remove the old one?
I have a line on a 16" Oliver with the direct drive. Wasn't sure it could be replaced. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

D6c

Not sure if it's true or not but I've read that a spiral head takes more HP.  I've had the overload trip out a couple of times on the 12' jointer I converted to a Byrd but I was using a power feeder cutting fairly wide boards.  The slowest speed on the feeder is faster than I'd like.

Larry

Quote from: metalspinner on September 13, 2021, 04:09:34 PM
That's good to know a new head is available for this.
Was it tough to remove the old one?
I have a line on a 16" Oliver with the direct drive. Wasn't sure it could be replaced.
Both jointers were difficult.  The Northfield was by far the worst.  A little corrosion in a 50 year old or older machine can make disassembly tough.

I called my friend and he thought the price on the Byrd head for his 12" Oliver was around $1,800.

A picture of my 12" Northfield....somebody really wanted it bad and I sold it.  Poor decision on my part as it was in better condition than the day it was born and was a great machine.

petefrom bearswamp

D6C you bet it does!
Upgraded my 20" spiral from 5 to 10 hp and still stalls on a fairly deep cut with wide stuff.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crossroads

Yes they draw more power. There's a Tube video of a guy doing a side by side comparison and the spiral head was drawing quite a bit more amps.  Hopefully my generator will pull it and the dust collector. We might be another 6 months before we get connected to the grid. 

YellowHammer

Yes, generally, spirals do absorb more power, certainly Byrd styles do, in my experience.  

However, some such as the SCMI Xylent styles are designed not to. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!