iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honeycomb and collapse risk

Started by forrestM, September 13, 2021, 08:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

Is there an MC in syp, or in general that signals that you are safe from honeycombing or collapse? Like once you get under 15 percent Mc you are safe to increase your temperature? I guess if store bought  lumber is kd19 and that has been heat treated, does that mean 19% is a safe number?

Thanks,
Forrest 

WDH

With pine you can dry it wide open with no concern for honeycomb or collapse.  When I dry green pine, I set dry bulb at 120 and wet bulb at 75 and let-er-rip.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

forrestM

I'm more concerned about going to the pitch seting temperatures too early if some boards are still higher than my target mc. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Honeycomb is pine is rare and results from bacteria weakening of the wood.  See postings about bacteria.  Reasonable temperature has no effect.

I do not think I have ever seen collapse in syp.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!