The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Building a wood lot  (Read 579 times)

Offline DMcCoy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Building a wood lot
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2021, 09:45:56 AM »
Your grass area looks tidy and what I would suggest will pretty much end that.  Ramial chipped wood is the best way to build healthy soil.  There are plenty of studies but the one from Canada is the best.
I left my chips in a pile until the fungal mycelium was 4" thick and the upper layer you could lift in large caked portions.  This I laid on my soil(fill area of county road ditch dirt) about 6" deep and tilled in. I also added about 6" of used nursery soil.   Nursery soil is good but nothing like my results.
If you can get your hands on chipped deciduous limbs from tree crews or power line clearing that would be my suggestion.  Tap rooted weeds and clovers are also good options. My 2 cents.

Offline etd66ss

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 11:57:47 AM »
Your grass area looks tidy and what I would suggest will pretty much end that.  Ramial chipped wood is the best way to build healthy soil.  There are plenty of studies but the one from Canada is the best.
I left my chips in a pile until the fungal mycelium was 4" thick and the upper layer you could lift in large caked portions.  This I laid on my soil(fill area of county road ditch dirt) about 6" deep and tilled in. I also added about 6" of used nursery soil.   Nursery soil is good but nothing like my results.
If you can get your hands on chipped deciduous limbs from tree crews or power line clearing that would be my suggestion.  Tap rooted weeds and clovers are also good options. My 2 cents.
I am constantly creating burn piles for fallen trees/branches. Maybe I can find a decently priced wood chipper for one of my tractors and over time just layer up chips in that area.
I also have endless amounts of fallen rotting Scots pine logs I could use. 
Would I need to remove the sod from the area or just plow/till it under?

Offline DMcCoy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 08:50:09 AM »
Here is the original research I referenced.
Organic Research
My experience was and still is beyond anything I would expect.  In that area the grass is darker green than any other area on our property still today, and we have good soils here!  I looks like it has been fertilized(it hasn't-ever) and that was 10+ yrs ago that I spread those chips.  I did not have fore-knowledge of what I was doing, it was only after observation that I started to question what was going on.
My chip source was powerline trimming and was mostly but not 100% deciduous tree limbs.
The paper is pretty clear in distinguishing between hardwood vs. softwood and limbs vs. trunks.
Nutrients are stored (highest concentrations) in:
Hardwood limbs.
Softwood trunks.
I would till the sod under with the chips, more organic material.
I would also try a small area first to see if you get the results you are wanting for the effort spent.
It been a long time since I read that article but I don't remember it taking about composting the pile for a year.  My chips became a literal pile of mushrooms both above and below the surface before I spread them.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 11:30:40 AM »
you can still take advantage of micorhizal fungus without a chipper by using the spindly top branches. cut them all at the nodes so that they lay pretty flat and nice like corn stalks.  spread out, push some dirt ontop of them and leave it be.  the smaller the stuff is the faster it will become a humus in that dirt.  you can pile it in one area and scoop it up for use in another.  the mixing action and oxygenation will help aerobic biology to colonize as well.  

that white fungal rooty looking fuzz forms a mutually beneficial relationship with plant roots.  it takes carbohydrates that the plant has up for grabs, in exchange for the nutrients it needs, which the fungus has access to.  its how you grown giant pumpkins.  this marriage gives a plant a potentially very large root system, sorta like computers on a network.  it can get as big as you want, just keep linking.

raw mollasses and rain water (its free, AND unchlorinated) splashed on a chip or brush pile will start the white fuzz much faster.

you can also just pile limby stuff in the woods for a rabbitat to keep the critters abundant.  as that breaks down it will colonize under the bark.  few years and i run the piles over into croutons to be taken into the dirt. shading the ground prevents drying out by the sun.  increased moisture increases the amount of things that can live and function under that shade so seedlings and grasses and stuff will come up there in time.

when i do a pond, i push trees to one pile, topsoil to another pile, and then any extra spoil dirt near the tree tops.  once any firewood logs are removed ill push poor subsurface spoil dirt onto the tops into a pile.  itll grow poke weed and ragweed and briars and all that. every few years push it some more and itll just keep getting darker until it becomes top soil itself.
Isaiah 63:10

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Building a Wood-mizer

Started by RMay on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 05:24:29 PM
by RMay
xx
Building a Wood Shear

Started by splitter on Alternative methods and solutions

40 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 02:47:03 PM
by splitter