iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Delayed black and blue bruising?

Started by gspren, September 21, 2021, 10:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I posted in general that I was in an accident on Friday that blew the airbag and my chest has been sore, yesterday (Monday) I finally started to get black & blue across my chest and side where the shoulder strap was. Is it normal or at least OK to have the bruising become visible days later, it's worse this morning?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Stephen1

The Black and Blue takes days to come and go. I would make sure to go to a DR and be checked out for having the airbag go off in my face and chest. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

firefighter ontheside

It's normal for a bruise to start to look black and blue several days after the injury.  After a while longer it may look yellow and other odd colors.  That's just the body metabolizing the blood that leaked out, as thats what  a bruise is.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Raider Bill

Yepper sure is normal.
Had a knee done a week ago tomorrow. Bruising didn't  start until 2 days ago. 

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

gspren

I'm glad it's somewhat normal because another big spot started appearing on the outside of my upper right thigh. I asked my wife if she was somehow beating me at night without waking me  :o. I did call my doc and she agreed it's to be expected so I can deal with that.

Southside

Think of it like sawing a walnut log.  All kinds of strange colors are going to show up on the outside for a bit.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

that is how we try to tell how old a bruise is.  not perfect.  it will turn yellow, green brown purple.  not just black and blue.  it can also move if you ace wrap the area or by gravity.  many folks with a black eye, end up with a green cheek.  when I had knee surgery, I had a big bruised and swollen thigh.  I could ace wrap it and squish the bruise up and down on my thigh.  fun stuff.  lots of names for the breakdown product like bilirubin, biliverdin ect...
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

bannerd

I would take a marker and just outline that bruise.  If it keeps getting bigger you might want to go back to the hospital as there could be something seriously wrong.  A good trick to speed up the process is to soak tobacco leaves and just put that on the bruise, works like magic.

gspren

Since my doc and you good people tell me it's normal I'm OK with it, now my concern is how long will my chest hurt with every cough or twist.

Raider Bill

Quote from: gspren on September 22, 2021, 08:55:14 AM
 Since my doc and you good people tell me it's normal I'm OK with it, now my concern is how long will my chest hurt with every cough or twist.
It will hurt longer than you want it too. Lol
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tacotodd

Raider, that's how it was when I broke a rib. And NO fun!
Trying harder everyday.

doctorb

Often the injury is at the junction of the boney rib and the anterior cartilage section that connects the rib to the sternum.  It's call the costochondral junction and injury to it can definitely hurt longer than anticipated. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

realzed

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 21, 2021, 05:56:08 PM
Yepper sure is normal.
Had a knee done a week ago tomorrow. Bruising didn't  start until 2 days ago.
Yea, I can relate! 
I had a knee redone (revision) a couple of months back and I was black/ blue/ yellow/ green and every other colour of the rainbow from my hip down to my toes for going on the better of a couple of weeks.. and ridiculously swollen too boot.. 
Initially the colour doesn't show up because usually everything is just red from the trauma until the blood begins to get reabsorbed into your system and out of muscle tissue and the colour reflects the varying amount of that going on as it breaks down. 
It would be interesting and somewhat entertaining somewhat if it didn't hurt so dang much though..

gspren

Well two mornings in a row with no new bruise marks  8) so now it should soon start to look better. With bruising on both legs, left arm, left hand, upper and lower torso, I pointed out to wifey that my right arm came through undamaged, that just happens to be my beer drinking and cigar smoking arm so all's well.

Thank You Sponsors!