iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone near me that I can tour

Started by teddy233, September 21, 2021, 06:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy233

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the sawmilling industry and have no experience in it, or forestry.  Have been doing research since early June and learning a lot about how all the equipment works together.

My goal is to setup a stationary mill with kiln drying and a planer.  Also I plan on taking the grading course to be able to grade my lumber.   

Wondering if there is anyone near me that I could visit and see your mill in operation to better understand the process.  I'm near Pointe-a-la-Croix, Quebec.

Thanks for taking the time,

J

Stephen1

Welcome to the FF .
I am a little far from you, but you are always welcome to visit.
cheers
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WV Sawmiller

Good luck. I think you have a great plan to visit working mills to better understand the process and equipment. I hope it all works out well for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Member @isawlogs is up your way, in or near Chelsea Quebec.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

skiather

Also a significant distance from you, As well as a beginner, I also have no experience in forestry or sawing other than firewood/chainsaw, Unlike you I have been researching mills, sharpeners, and setters for less than a month. There is a world of hands-on experience shared here on this Forum. U-tube videos and such. 
  If I don't change my mind I'm thinking LT35 Woodmizer hydraulic ( to compensate for old age) 79)
     a WM-BMS250 sharpener CBN wheel, 
  & a Cooks single tooth manual tooth setter.   
                                                                          Eastern Ontario dreamer
Eastern Ontario Dreamer

teddy233

Thank you for the offers, replies.  Hopefully there is someone a little closer that comes along.

J

Don P

Just to clarify something I saw there. You can take a hardwood grading course and grade for appearance. Structural lumber is normally graded through an audited program, much more involved than just taking a class.

teddy233

Quote from: Don P on September 23, 2021, 09:05:52 PM
Just to clarify something I saw there. You can take a hardwood grading course and grade for appearance. Structural lumber is normally graded through an audited program, much more involved than just taking a class.
From what I understand, it's a 2 week course for structural lumber, then you have to be a member of a grading association that will inspect you monthly.  This is the kind of grading that I'd like to do, since it will allow my wood to be used for construction.

Thank You Sponsors!