The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Mega Good Molasses  (Read 8608 times)

Offline Tobacco Plug

• Forester
    • Share Post
Re: Mega Good Molasses
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2005, 03:22:21 PM »
CANE SYRUP! ;D
I used to be able to buy cane syrup (Cane Brake Brand) at the Winn Dixie but they have shut all their stores in my area.  Can only get Log Cabin, etc. at the store now and it ain't even close!  Do any of y'all know where I might could find real cane syrup?  Thanks! 8)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Offline GareyD

• Full Member x2
  • I'd complain if ya hung me with any rope...old or new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2005, 08:32:07 PM »
When I was livin in Arkansas, my old neighbor was about elebenty hunnert years old, and made syrup each and every year...here is his definitions of stages of mo-lasses

Light molasses comes from the first boiling of the sugar cane syrup.Golden in color and mild in flavor.It is popular as pancake syrup.

Dark molassed comes from a second boiling and is darker,thicker and less sweet than light molasses.This kind of molasses is generally used in recipes like gingerbrea,baked beans,etc.

Light and dark molasses are interchangeable in recipes,although dark molasses provides more robust flavor.

The third boiling results in blackstrap molasses.This very thick,dark and somewhat bitter molasses is generally found in health food stores or used in cattle feed.

Ain't it funny how the same things are called something different across the country :D
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2005, 08:37:16 PM »
Backer Plug, we can probbly handle dat.  Let's get Christmas behind us and you remind me.  I'll be on the lookout, since I need to get some, too. ;) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Skytramp

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2005, 12:40:31 AM »
     My Great uncle John used to make molasses, just barely remember him doing it, used a horse to turn the mill and cooked it down in a copper pan.  His old mill, pan and all used to be piled up at his old home place, don't know if it is still there or not.  Probably not but It would be an adventure to go back and see.  My dad used to say that the molasses had a better flavor if the cook didn't chew tobacco.  It seems as tho someone had to keep working it back and forth in the pan untill it reached the right consistency.  Didn't want it to scorch either.
     I love Molasses, good molasses like cktate talked about.  Never thought of trying it on saugage, will have to give that a try.  sounds good.  Cornbread or biscuts, you bet.  One of the farm supply stores here carries a line of it, not sure where it is made.  A lot more expensive now than when I was a kid.  The stuff they carry in the grocery store isn't hardly worth carrying home,  The watered down version.  I think it is like Grits, you have to develope a taste for it.
     When I was a kid you could have anything you wanted for breakfast as long as it was what Momma put on the table, There was caro syrup and Molasses both and some kind of Jelly, I kinda leaned toward the Molasses.  We don't cook breakfasts like that anymore, just on special occasions.
SkyTramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Offline Tobacco Plug

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2005, 08:49:27 AM »
Much obliged, DanG.  Will be in touch.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Molasses is fast

Started by r.man on General Board

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 10:55:22 PM
by Cedarman
xx
molasses syrup ?

Started by bama20a on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

17 Replies
Last post November 30, 2012, 07:31:04 PM
by woodsteach