iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lathe Mizer

Started by dad2nine, December 26, 2007, 08:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

What's the biggest square you can make round with a lathe mizer. How fast does it turn, is it variable speed? Does it turn fast enough to fashion porch pillars with big lathe tools?

Bibbyman

It'll take a 13" diamater.  So I think that figures out to about a 11" square.

It has one speed - I think is about 400 rpms.  I don't think it has the power or clamping design to use lathe tools.

Here is a link to info on the Wood-Mizer web site.  They also have a video you can watch.

Wood-Mizer LatheMizer

They do now hava a tenon kit and an additional 4' extension so you can make posts up to 12' long.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

farmerdoug

A 13" log that is 12' long.

I do not think I would get close enough to that thing spinning at 400 rpms to touch it with a tool.  I can say one thing, OUCH. :o
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Bibbyman

No,  I don't think you'd want to spin a 13" dia log, 12' long at 400 rpms.

The LatheMizer takes most of the "outside" off by indexing and sawing the log into an octagon.

Once you have it in an octagon shape,  then you turn on the motor that spins it and run the sawblade down it as it turns.  It's stable enough to use sandpaper to get a smooth finish but I wouldn't want to jab a tool against it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Burlkraft

I have used lathe tools on mine. It works, but it would work better if it turned faster. I need to make a better tool rest also. ;) ;) ;)   A 6 X 6 block of oak didn't work as well as I would have liked  ::) ::)

I tried it on red pine and poplar. I didn't try any hardwoods, but as long as they are green it should do just fine.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!