iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2005 chevy colorado brake job

Started by chainspinrunner, September 09, 2009, 11:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainspinrunner

I am currently working on replacing rotors, calipers, pads, etc.. on a colorado and the whole hub has to come off to get the rotor off, )kinda rediculous(  The hub is pressed on from the factory and is not coming off without brute force. Don't want to brake anything, not my truck. BUT to get the hub off i have heard to put a socket in between the suspension and start the engine and turn the wheel using the steering power to knock the hub off. I have heard to use a Port-power hydraulic pump. but cannot afford to use one. Any  other suggestions out there??
Grose

moosehunter

There should be three bolts holding the bearing/hub assy on from the back. They may be 12 point or 15 mm 6point bolts. Take out the three bolts, use a hammer and chisel to separate the hub from the knuckle by driving it between the two.
This job usually requires some heat, brute force and a few choice words ;)

If you are having trouble picturing it, go to a parts store and ask to see the bearing/hub assembly.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

chainspinrunner

Thanks i have tried all of that. The ABS sensor on the inside of the hub was about to be ruined to i let it be for now. The tools and area i was working on this truck was not sufficient. I put it back together and had my firend send it to the shop!! ROUGH BRAKE JOB Too many steps for a dang brake job.
Grose

isawlogs

Is there a reason behind having such an elaborate way of putting such simple things together ...  :P     >:(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Captain

Marcel, you'll have to ask Isuzu on that one.  Engineering came from Japan on the Colorado/Canyon.

Captain

stonebroke

The reason is to make it so you take it to the dealer for service.

Stonebroke

moosehunter

You do not have to take it to a dealer. Most any independent shop (like mine ;D) can do it. The Japanese have used "captive" rotors for a loooonnngggg time.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

stonebroke

yeah but it discourages you from doing it yourself, so a certain percentage will end up at the dealer.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!