iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulley Sources?

Started by Charles135, July 14, 2012, 10:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles135

Does any one know of a good source for a 24 x 6" banded v belt pulley?
Thanks
Charlie
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

davey duck

Hi ,You can check at a Combine salvage yard,there are many shapes and sizes and shaft sizes.
David G.Fleming

ladylake

Also check old silage choppers.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Charlie,the sad truth is that size pulley is just too DanG expensive to buy new.Check salvage yards or used equipment dealers. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shelbycharger400

let us know what ur doin? ;D
is is to power that belsaw?
a 24 in dia pulley like that is goin to cost more than a NICEused car
  i know what push come to shove id do... do it like the old boys did.   piece of sheet stock or 2 , cut out or broach the key shaft hole.  sandwitch it all between plywood , double back 1 in boards in the center and make it up to 6 in thick. when its done, spin it on an arbor and true it up, then stop it and crayon or paint the groves, spin it up and hog out the groves.  ive seen a lot of pulleys on tractors and such made out of wood, and they work, like a charm.  Only bad thing is i cant remember what they said they used on them to make them grip good. 

SPD748

A new sheave that size is around $700. The bushing is ~$80.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

bandmiller2

You could use an auto tire and rim I've seen it work quite well,it would get you going wile keeping an eye out for something more professional looking. Frank C.

doghunter

try the surplus center online

Al_Smith

You would do good if you can find an industrial salvage yard or farm equipment salvage .It' unlikely the demand for a large multi vee pulley would be great .Plus the fact in those businesses they welcome cash transactions .

Charles135

Thanks Guys,
I have my Belsaw all set up, and ready to go I am just in need of the pulley to hook everything up.   I am downloading more photos and will upload them soon along with the building of my shed. 
Thanks for all the ideas and the private messages. 

Is 675 rpm for a 46" too fast?  I wanted to be at 550 to 600, but I might have a lead that would turn me up to 675.
Charlie
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit

Woodchuck53

Charles135 how many grooves would that be? I will check next time I'm in my slavage yard.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

bandmiller2

Charlie,no problem with 675 rpm although I prefer around 600,most of the newer mill are way over that. Frank C.

Charles135

Charles135 how many grooves would that be? I will check next time I'm in my slavage yard.

I need at least 6 that is how mnay groves my belt has.  I would like to have one or two extra to run supplemental equipment.  I would really appteciate you look for me.   

Thanks
Charlie

Woodchuck53

Your mandral needs 6 for power transfer? You can stack narrow ones up if you run into some. I'll be at least 3 weeks out with the word on what I might find. But I will look. I have a 3 groove about that size that comes to mind. Will let you know. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

bandmiller2

Anouther thing to consider is shipping, pulleys are heavy.A place to look is a good sized electric motor repair shop.I once bought a whole pallet of pulleys for $20 must have been half ton. Frank C.

Charles135

Thanks guys, sorry for the delayed replies, I am a doctoral student and am in the middle of a huge research project, so my time is at a premium currently!
Chuck,
No it doesn't need that many the belt I have is 6 wide.  I purchased a power unit with a clutched ptu unit and the pulley on it was 6 wide so I thought it might be easier to find one 6 wide pulley than 2 narrower ones?  Any thoughts on my logic or lack of logic?

Bandmiller2,
I actually do have a huge electric motor repair place the next town over I will have to check with them.  Thanks for the tip. 

Charles
Charlie

b dukes

On the Belsaw I had I used a flywheel off an air compressor. They are mostly taper bored. We just bored the hole for the shaft size and broached in a keyway.  Just another idea for you.

Woodchuck53

b dukes, yeah my next thought. I have a couple large air compressors and thought that might work.

Morning Mr. Frank. That electric shop must have been cleaning up to let that get away. Good idea. Did I tell you I found my conveyor material, cheap?

So Charles135 you sprang for a power band belt? Expensive.

Slabs

Another source could refrigeration junkyards.  Old ammonia compressors had sheaves similar to what you described.  They would be real heavy-good inertia.

Used to be a place in Athens, Ga. that had em' by the trainload.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Charles135

Woodchuck,
No the powerunit I purchased was off of a commercial street vacuum and the belt that was on it is banded. 
I have not thought of the compressor sheaves either, thanks again guys!
Charlie
Charlie

Joe Lallande

When I changed my Belsaw from the flat belt to V belts and pulleys a few years ago, I went to our local saw mill for parts. They had a room full of used pulleys, adapters and V belts.  Over the years they changed many of their saws to either hyd or electric motors. Good luck.

Woodchuck53

Morning Charles135. What I have is two very large and heavy flywhhels off New Holland hay balers and one 16" 3 groove pulley left from a older project. It seems dad has done a little trading from my goodies pile. Sorry about that, I thought i could help. Chuck

Charles135

WoodChuck,
I actually managed to mis-calculate the diameter I needed.  I was going off the speed listed on the powerunit mandral and not the sheave.  I actually needed one much smaller.  I had a pulley already that worked and I'm now turning at 595 rpm.  I should be up and sawing anyday, time permitting!  Thanks agian.
Charlie

Thank You Sponsors!