iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern Timberframe Workshop -- Any interest

Started by danreed76, August 10, 2012, 07:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

I've been mulling over the idea of hosting a timber framing workshop down here in Georgia (taught by someone other than myself).  After discussions with a few people, and reading a few older threads on the forum, I wanted to see how much interest there would be from FF members in participating.  Here's some of the things that I've gathered from reading and discussions, y'all give me your feedback.

• 3 to 4 day workshop planned in conjunction with a weekend (thursday or friday thru sunday)
  • plenty of food available on site
  • reasonable cost for participation
  • meals provided
  • flexible schedule (come for the days you want, pay for the days you come)
  • excellent provisions for lunch
  • timbers provided on site with a sheltered place to work
  • lots of good barbecue and sweet tea
  • power tools provided, along with a few hand tools for those that forget something
  • there's going to have to be some food
  • sawmill set up on site for some additional learning opportunities

I don't have any prospective dates yet.  I was thinking sometime in the fall/early winter, or maybe even a couple of times over the winter depending on interest and instructor availability. 

Any thoughts/interest?

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

fishpharmer

Although its unlikely I could get away this year for such an adventure, I am interested, mostly I think, because you mention food five times.   :)

What part of Georgia?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jim_Rogers

I believe it would be in the greater Atlanta area.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

danreed76

That's correct, Jim.  I forgot to add that; we are about an hour South of Atlanta off I-85.

Quote from: fishpharmer on August 10, 2012, 07:47:11 AM
I am interested, mostly I think, because you mention food five times.   :)

I've noticed this in the past to be a recurring theme on the forum...

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

drbtimber

I'm interested.  Just finished a 2-day workshop with Jim in RI.  What a great way to spend a weekend and soak up "the knowledge"!  I'm going to send an email to two of the wood suppliers I use to get the word out in Atlanta. 

grweldon

I'm interested.  Cost would be a factor.  I'm only about 2 hours away from you.  If you needed another mill, I could bring mine.  Sounds interesting...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

jueston

i'm in MN but i have been meaning to visit GA, since i lived there for a few years a miss my many good friends down there, it would be awesome to do both at the same time...

it would of course depend on being able to fit it into my schedule and the price.

but i sure do miss a good sweet tea, up here these Yankees don't know what they're missing....

bushhog920

Brad_bb

You didn't say why you want to host a workshop.  Is it because you want to learn?  Or you want a head start with one of your projects?  Or?  Just curious what your goal is.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Stephen1

I always have an interest. It just works out to logistics. Am I "working" or not.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

danreed76

Great to hear there is some interest out there. 

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 11, 2012, 10:15:36 PM
You didn't say why you want to host a workshop.  Is it because you want to learn?  Or you want a head start with one of your projects?  Or?  Just curious what your goal is.

Originally, I had planned on hiring an experienced timber framer to come out and teach us, as well as providing some "adult supervision" during the process of cutting and raising our frame; not very many takers on that as most folks we talked to wanted all or nothing on the frame.  All my knowledge about timber framing to this point has come from books, the internet, and a few small "practical excercises" in the back yard.  I figured that our current scenario (building our own house) gave us a good opportunity to share the learning experience with others.  I have the space, I have the timbers, I have the opportunity.  Ultimately, there weren't a lot of local learning opportunities that I could find.  We're going to learn this one way or another, so I thought we'd offer up the workshop idea.  At the end of the day, we'll have a head start on a few timbers, but that's more of a perk, as I don't foresee a massive progression in completed frame members over 3 days of instruction.  If an expectation for a number of completed frame members was the ultimate goal, I think there would be more efficient ways to go about it.

We've had a good response from several folks; as soon as I have a grip on possible dates, I'll throw those out there. 

Jim_Rogers

With the Timber Framers Guild, there are two ways it is done. One is a workshop. The purpose of the workshop is to learn. If parts get done towards a frame then that's alright. But it is not the main focus of the workshop.

The other is the rendezvous. At a rendezvous the purpose to go get the frame done and up.

Lots of guild functions are a lot of both, and those are known as projects. They use the completion of the project as a goal. And long the way there is an opportunity for new comers to learn the craft.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

That's good to know your goal. 
  As a reference... in a 6 day workshop with about 15-20 beginners, we managed to complete a 4 bent principal rafter frame (3 kingpost and 1 hammerbeam bent).  This did not include all the nailer girts or rafter purlins or sil timbers, but we finished the major components.
   In a 3 day workshop that I helped Rooster teach in 2010, we had approximately 9 students and completed cutting 1 post or other major member per student.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

danreed76

Brad

Sounds like y'all had some pretty amazing results at more than one workshop.  Did you plan to see those kind of accomplishments, or did things just click along very well for you?

Thank You Sponsors!