iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lathe Mizer

Started by sdunston, August 11, 2013, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdunston

I have been following this form for a few years now and have not seen a lot on the lathe mizer. Anyone got pictures

thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

JustinW_NZ

Im interested as well if people have them and how they find them?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

giant splinter

I just looked at one at Wood-Mizer Oregon, many nice features and many things you can do with it. If I had the money burning a hole in my pocket I would have bought it but, I dropped off some blades for resharp, picked up a few parts and bolted before I got in trouble. ;D.
roll with it

JustinW_NZ

If someone from woodmizer is watching this could you let me/us know what is required on the mill to support the lathemizer if anything?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

beenthere

Seems the lathe mizer just sets on the frame and is self contained.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

I've seen a Lathe Mizer in action, but it's been a few years!

The LM is the perfect tool to make octagon and round posts or pillars.

Doing the octagons, the log in the LM is turned by hand and there are detents (notches) that rotation can be stopped at and start the Wood-Mizer and make a cut, the LM can be stopped 8 times in one rotation (by hand) or 4 times for a square post or pillar (by hand)!

To do round posts or pillars, step one is to make and octagon, then there is an electric 110vac motor to turn the LM on and start rotation, then you crank up the Wood-Mizer and set your blade height to the height of the "flats", set your feed speed to SLOW, and with the octagon spinning, start the mill feed and this will take off all of the corners and the end product will be a round post or pillar!

I think I have it correct.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I would not call it self contained.
Need electricity to run the motor. I saw one at the WM 25th anniversary. A nice unit. Not fast,but it gets the job done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Larry

Quote from: sdunston on August 11, 2013, 09:18:49 AM
Anyone got pictures

Jeeze...do us TK guys have to do all the work around here? :D :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Cedarman

A few years ago Bibbyman posted a thread on this with lots of pictures.  It works well, but is a little slow.  But the posts were perfectly round.  You can then let the post spin and sand it smooth.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

rmack

I bet they would be used a lot more if they were configured to take longer logs. having to pay extra to get to 12' just doesn't sound right.

And a 12' log doesn't make much of a cabin.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

beenthere

Longer logs would likely droop in the middle and need to have something to support that droop.
Would be hard to design whatever that middle support would have to be, as the shape changes constantly. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallys World

I "played" with one at the PA Woodmizer open house back a few months ago. Basically it is an indexable gaint wood lathe. As stated before you get the piece down to a hexagon shape or more then turn it round. Worked well but you needed to go slow. Was really thinking hard about getting one, but ended up with a used WM single blade edger.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Bibbyman

Quote from: rmack on August 17, 2013, 08:29:01 AM
I bet they would be used a lot more if they were configured to take longer logs. having to pay extra to get to 12' just doesn't sound right.

I'm sure the original intent was to make rustic furniture and things like rails and spindles.  Making logs for a log cabin of any large size would take a lot of time.

Here's a cedar log we sawed down to hex, turned round, and then put flat on top and bottom.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rmack

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 17, 2013, 06:09:04 PM
Quote from: rmack on August 17, 2013, 08:29:01 AM

I'm sure the original intent was to make rustic furniture and things like rails and spindles.  Making logs for a log cabin of any large size would take a lot of time.

Here's a cedar log we sawed down to hex, turned round, and then put flat on top and bottom.

I see that shape and can't help but start thinking about building with it. :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Bibbyman

I would think you could take the two sections of the basic 8" unit and spread them apart as far as you think you can get by with and link them together with channel iron or tube steel.  The only disadvantage would be that you'd be limited to doing only long logs as you would only have a couple of feet of  bed to adjust for length.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Brucer

I helped Marv at WM Canada West set up and test the first one he got in. We were both learning. Chuck White has described it exactly.

When we were testing, Marv was running the saw and I was indexing the head after he gigged back. It went very quickly once we got a rhythm established; it would be a lot slower with just one person.

Mounting the log exactly on center was tricky, even with two of us. I think you could make some simple wood shims to speed up the loading process. It would work best if your logs were all about the same size.

I always thought it was a bit silly, though. Start with a round log, saw it into an octagon, and then turn it back into a round log :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

JustinW_NZ

I'm slightly disappointed it needs mains power to make the lathe turn.

Kinda hard for us portable guys out in the middle of nowhere to use it... - not saying I would use it like that but thought it might be 12v...

There's a couple of good youtube videos of guys using them so you see the way to work them, looks like a good thing for expensive posts or railing / fancy garden edging etc...

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Chuck White

I think it would still be cost effective for us portable guys to use a Lathe Mizer, out on the job.

We could get 110vac by using a portable generator.  It wouldn't cost all that much extra because most of us wouldn't make over a half dozen or so posts/pillars anyway!

Then you would have to consider what the customer wants!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

As with most anything else, it is a specialty item.  Contacting local builders, etc. and creating an interest could develop a niche market.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Magicman on August 19, 2013, 08:14:56 AM
As with most anything else, it is a specialty item.  Contacting local builders, etc. and creating an interest could develop a niche market.

yip, I agree 100%

I haven't heard or seen one of these in our country at all.
I don't think the NZ agent has ever imported one.

I would want a 220v motor not 110 for a start anyway so maybe they wont change it for me :D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Thank You Sponsors!